SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Self Sobriety (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/381317-self-sobriety.html)

Mindpilot 12-20-2015 12:25 PM

Self Sobriety

I would like to start by saying AA has helped me to get sober and it has also given me many tools to deal with life. However I am one of those guys that doesn't believe that I am powerless and I do not believe that if I don't attend meetings that I will go crazy and drink or use again. I believe in conscious awareness of my addiction mind. My Higher Self can now recognize addictive thinking and thoughts. With this heightened awareness my addiction beast is in remission. Although I work at a rehab, I do not attend meetings or talk to a sponsor. I feel more free than I ever have in my entire life, including when I went to meetings.

MIRecovery 12-20-2015 12:37 PM

For me the alcoholic thinking is too entrenched. Although I'm sure I would be fine for a while eventually my thinking would revert to what I know best.

Best of luck in recovery and AA will continue to be there should you ever need it

Anna 12-20-2015 12:55 PM

I think you should do whatever works for you. I think we should all do what works for us.

IronPhoenix 12-20-2015 01:02 PM

I have taken a hybrid approach myself. Counseling sessions, SR, changing my daily routine, and I have read the AA 12 steps and applied what I think is relative.

Like Anna said, whatever works for you!

JD 12-20-2015 01:18 PM

This is a personal journey and no one can tell you what's right for you. If what you're doing is working keep working it. If it doesn't work for you any more then you need to adjust your plan

Soberwolf 12-20-2015 01:23 PM

Welcome Mindpilot

least 12-20-2015 01:31 PM

Welcome to the family. :)

dcg 12-20-2015 03:12 PM

I don't do AA or higher power, nor do I know what a "Higher Self" is, but I just don't drink. I guess that makes me a "dry drunk," whatever that is, but I get a lot done everyday, I feel my solutions and approach to problems and daily hassles is more sound, and I no longer have to tell someone, "Yeah, 10am is kinda early. How does 2pm sound?"

greens 12-20-2015 03:19 PM

I've used a smorgasbord of tools for my recovery. At one time meetings and step work were important to my recovery, now they aren't . Nothing wrong with that, I'm still sober and exactly where I need to be.

SoberLeigh 12-20-2015 03:23 PM

Welcome to SR, Mindpilot; glad you found us.

Dee74 12-20-2015 03:52 PM

Welcome mindpilot :)

There are a wide variety of approaches here at SR, so I'm sure you'll find a spot where you are comfortable.

We all generally get along and aim to respect other's beliefs here :)

D

Hevyn 12-20-2015 03:54 PM

It's great to meet you, Mindpilot. :)

Zebra1275 12-20-2015 04:01 PM

I probably average about 1 AA meeting a week, and once a month I try to go out for coffee with my sponsor. I log on to this website almost daily.

I was a lot more active in AA when I was first trying to get sober, now I'm not that active anymore. However, I now know who to call and where to go if I need help.

fini 12-20-2015 07:40 PM

greetings, MindPilot,

sounds like you might enjoy reading and contributing in the "secular connections" forum farther down. check it out:)

Isaiah 12-20-2015 08:04 PM

I know people who see AA somewhere on a continuum between "practical life skills and support" and "necessary spiritual path for sobriety." I fall a little in between leaning toward pragmatism. I say if it taught you some good things, but the continued fellowship isn't for you... if you know you're on the right road and feeling secure in your sobriety, keep at it. :)

PurpleKnight 12-21-2015 10:52 AM

Welcome to the Forum Mindpilot!! :wave:

FormerWineGirl 12-21-2015 07:36 PM

Hi Mindpilot. If you are happy and not drinking, then your method is working. I too believe in the philosophy that there is no singular approach that fits everyone.