Notices

Getting into the spirit in a positive way

Old 12-20-2015, 04:29 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Jessye Norman's "O, Holy Night" is a favorite of mine:

Old 12-20-2015, 04:54 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Yep, love the poges too, but yeah its awful when u think about the lyrics & the fact that he was shi#faced when they recorded it (good tune tho)
U can't beat a bit of Buble when it comes to Christmas!!!!! P.s can u please come & finish getting me organised for friday as ive got tons to do!!!!!🎄🎄🎄🎄
Old 12-20-2015, 05:03 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I hadn't heard of O, Holy Night before - it's a lovely song.

One I like is I Was Born On Christmas Day by Saint Etienne. I haven't sent enough posts to be able to include a link, which I know must be very disappointing!
Old 12-21-2015, 04:48 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I've got to be honest and say that I listened but it isn't my favorite version, yet still I had goose bumps the size of eggs listening to it. Just gorgeous and what a voice!!!! Thank you for posting it!

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
Jessye Norman's "O, Holy Night" is a favorite of mine:

Old 12-21-2015, 04:54 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Ok, what about fun songs, who doesn't love "Last Christmas"? Come onnnnnn, that is amazing! Apparently the classic video only exists on viveo. Here is the youtube version:
Old 12-21-2015, 09:02 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Old 12-21-2015, 10:55 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Ohhhhhh! Today my older son had his Christmas celebration at school. The entire school came out and stood on the steps of the church to perform. I was anxiously awaiting my son's performance of course, but prior to his class the older classes sang. The 5th year students did a performance with their teacher playing guitar to accompany them. The sang three songs in English "imagine" ( not a Christmas song but beautiful) "War is Over" and "Do They Know it's Christmas?"
I had a really emotional moment. I am not sure if it is due to the fact that I am still withdrawing after my relapse last week, or due to the fact that I am missing home and so hearing songs in my native language moved me, but it really did bring tears to my eyes. The sound of children singling is so beautiful. The sound of children singing with a foreign accent is just so touching. Each tiny mistake or mispronunciation is so tender and dear. It was beautiful.
My son was so proud and happy to have not only me but his father and grandmother there to hear his rendition of a traditional Italian poem. It was lovely.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:57 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

That's so nice, Mera. Music is such a spiritual thing in so many ways.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:01 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

It was so tender. I am really trying to be "present in the moment" and not let technology get the better or me, as such I don't have any pictures or video. In any case, I make a habit of not posting any pictures or video online that include other people's children. But If I could share, I would, it was so so sweet. Those little, tender voices….
Old 12-21-2015, 12:35 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Oh I just thought of something relating to my earlier post of "Nessun Dorma" As I mentioned it is form the opera Turondot. But I imagine unless you are a follower or opera or know the Italian language the meaning of the song would go un noticed.
The story of the opera is long , sad and dramatic, as are most operas. But the aria Nessun Dorma is about victory. To be more specific, and wonderfully more in relation to recovery, it is not just about victory, but expected victory and faith in oneself. At the crescendo he sings " al'alba vincero' vincero' vinceroooooooooooo'" This translates to "at dawn I will win, I will win, I will win"
In the opera he has put himself into a contest to win the marriage of the princess. He has to answer three riddles in order to win her hand, which he does. She then begs her father to not force her to go through with it (yikes, in 2015 this sh*t wouldn't fly, would it??) It is then decided that he will offer a riddle. If she answers it correctly she does not have to marry him, if she cannot answer it, she must marry him. She has until dawn. His question is "what is my name?" It is then we hear the famous aria and he declares that he will win. There is then a lot of drama, torture, death, opera sh*t, and finally the finale when he kisses the princess and his name is revealed "love"

Man oh man this stuff is confusing, but if you can follow it, it is a nice metaphor for sobriety. We WILL win. And when we win we win something called "love"