Notices

Prosecco....

Old 12-19-2015, 06:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Prosecco....

Earlier today I was given a gift of prosecco (think thats how its spelt!) I held it in my hands and thought about it and then promptly got rid of it, I gave it to my neighbour who is aware of whats going on with me. I KNOW this was the right decision to make but I cant stop thinking about it! I feel kinda bad giving a gift away to someone else but know my sobriety is way more important. Christmas is approaching and ive already had a few triggers but am still sober. Just needed to share this, giving that bottle away was hard and a HUGE thing for me to do. I hoped by getting rid of it Id forget it was given to me but.... nope! Can anyone relate at all?
Old 12-19-2015, 07:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good job getting rid of it! It really isn't a gift after all is it? It's only a bottle of poison, you did the right thing.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You did the right thing. I currently feel like I'm missing out on my "drinking time".. I drink when no one is home mostly. It's helping me get through today to realize that feeling is a product of my addictive voice.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Puggington View Post
Good job getting rid of it! It really isn't a gift after all is it? It's only a bottle of poison, you did the right thing.
So true! It IS poison. Its gone. Thank God I acted so fast. Had it in my hands less than five mins. Its a HUGE step actually, Im feeling proud of myself.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Great choice to simply give it away. It's of no use to you and it's gone from your life now. Enjoy the day!
Old 12-19-2015, 07:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by blueberry2015 View Post

I hoped by getting rid of it Id forget it was given to me but.... nope! Can anyone relate at all?
Yes, years ago when wishing to be sober I gave away my booze to my renter. It's a good call that may be of great help.

Stay strong over the holidays and you will be proud of yourself.

M-Bob
Old 12-19-2015, 07:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good for you, Blueberry! I think most of us have been through similar scenarios. Early on, that would drive me nearly insane. It had been awhile and at 15 months sober a friend gave me a very nice bottle of wine as a thank you. I only had about 1 minute of wishing I could drink it but decided I didn't want to go down that road again. So I gave it away to a normie friend. It really does get easier!
Old 12-19-2015, 07:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I did the same thing last year, re-gifting a bottle of wine from one neighbor to another neighbor (who knew what was going on with me). You should feel zero guilt about it.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Old 12-19-2015, 07:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well done, Blueberry. You can be proud of yourself, and now you can let those thoughts go. You did the wise thing.