Notices

Hello. I think I need help.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Hello. I think I need help.

Hello

This is the first time that I have ever spoken about this but I think I need some help.

Last week I went out to dinner with a friend, upon becoming very drunk I decided that it would be a good idea to crash a party, that I was not invited to.

At that party I reigned havoc inventing stories and spreading malicious rumors without any remorse for how it might hurt or affect others.

I drank and drank and then I went home passed out and just woke up with a deep feeling of complete shame. I brushed it over and went on with my life.

Today I found out the true consequence of my actions. I hurt people and created rifts with my lies. I fear that I will never be able to recover from this. The problem is that when I drink, I lie, and invent stories which I simply cannot control. Those who do not know me take me seriously and I found out that my actions have real consequences.

The problem is I don't know where or how to start looking for help. I called the people I had spoken to and apologies for my actions, but I don't want this situation to happen again.

My father was a sever alcoholic and because of this my childhood was hard. My biggest fear is that I am becoming like him.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to Sober Recovery.

If you are worried about becoming an alcoholic, and your drinking is causing you trouble, the solution would be to quit drinking. Coming here is a great first step.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Welcome to SR Imstbtbpvom. There are lots of good resources and people to help you here.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm glad you joined us. If you get sober, none of this will ever happen again.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Imstbt; very glad you found us.

Active alcoholism can turn us into people we don't recognize; you never have to repeat your recent experience.

Giving up alcohol and finding recovery can be life-changing and an amazingly rewarding experience.

We are here for you.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The worst part is the shame and guilt because I end up hurting people whom I care and respect for.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I never thought I had a problem until today, but how do you say no when everyone is egging you on?
Old 12-18-2015, 08:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by Imstbtbpvom View Post
I never thought I had a problem until today, but how do you say no when everyone is egging you on?
You simply say, no thank you, and if they insist, you repeat it until they stop bugging you.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Originally Posted by Imstbtbpvom View Post
The simplest way is to avoid the people who are egging you on. If you're going to ge,t and more importantly, stay sober you most likely will have to make some changes. I'd suggest you do a lot of reading here. It'll give you a better feel for what you need to do.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you. I feel less alone now.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

You simply say 'No, thanks'.

And, better yet, you avoid situations where alcohol will be around.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Dismember

Hello.

Shame and guilt are common for those of us with drinking problems. It can be hard to look at ourselves when we see how compromising our values has become a habit whenever alcohol seems to get involved. I've done a lot of things I'm terribly not proud of in my life. Time after time I would just redraw the line of things "I swear I would never do." Thankfully, I have found a way that not only helps me stay away from alcohol, but to learn to both heal damage that I've done and work on myself to ensure I do not break my values (as much as one can!)

For me it came at a point where I said "I need to do something, and I can't do it alone." I've found Alcoholics Anonymous, DBT(herapy) and the good people at SR helpful for me. As they say, sometimes you need "any port in a storm." Definitely encourage you to keep seeking help. We've all been there, different stories but we've converged here in kind.

Best wishes to you.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Imstbtbpvom. I think you have come to the right place. Most of us, if not all, completely empathize with your situation. As others have said, alcohol shows us a person we don't know and don't want to be. I have had to deal with a lot of shame for actions I have committed while drunk. The longer you stay sober, the easier it gets. I'm only on day nine, and just being here with the SR group, talking about my feelings, reading other posts, and staying off the booze, are the exact steps we need to take to be healthy, both physically and mentally. You can recover from this. Stay strong and stay sober and you will never have to repeat what happened the other night.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

People who egg you on, when they know that it'll make you behave badly aren't with you because they're good friends and want the best for you. You can do without friends like that.

People pleasing is a bit of a common problem amongst us alcoholics - it's not good for us at all.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You must be my doppelganger...about 10 years ago. My alcoholism got worse from the point you are at now and I started drinking alone only....because I was afraid of what I would do or what would happen. Nice huh? For me there was only one way not to keep making mistakes and that was to stop drinking. I wish you the best.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR
Old 12-18-2015, 12:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I lied in my blackouts too.
If I hurt someone it was nearly impossible to convince them I was lying or I didn't mean what I said.
I started drinking alone as well to avoid other people see me like that.
Xo
Old 12-18-2015, 12:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Last xmas I was trying to quit drinking and my boyfriend at the time knew it, but he brought over wine anyway....
Long story short, I got wasted, we got into an argument and I made him leave, he kept banging on my door, being crazy so I called the police, he got a free ride home in a police car on xmas eve.
That was the last time he brought me wine and encouraged me to drink.......
Old 12-18-2015, 12:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yeah that is what alcohol does- it inhibits your decision making abilities. It sucks that you had to go through this, but it might be a wake up call that now is the time to change or you could quite possibly have this happen again. Whats your plan to get sober? Most of us cant "just stop" without some kind of help...
Old 12-18-2015, 01:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Drinking is never worth all the negative consequences when you are an alcoholic. Life a great life without alcohol!