Notices

Hi Everyone, back again

Old 12-18-2015, 06:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone, back again

Hi all,
I am back again - feel like its been too many times to count. I have been mostly sober since mid October, other than I drank twice in November and once early December (dec 4th I had my last drink). So I guess that makes today day 14, but I had also achieved just shy of 3 weeks sober before that.

My body is feeling better from the (mostly) better lifestyle. I have been working out, eating well and trying to get better sleep. I have insomnia a lot but any sleep I do get I think is better than the passed out drunken sleep I routinely got before. My face is noticeabley less red and the puffy eyelids are starting to deflate lol.

I avoided posting here although I have been lurking daily. Why? Because despite not really drinking anymore, I wasn't ready to commit to not drinking over Christmas. I have been doing so well, but lurking in my mind each day is an upcoming party I am attending on Monday, and Christmas with the in-laws, who will absolutely be drinking. And New Years...

If I waited until after New Years to post, then I could say I was committed from that point on, without having to say it now and then have to break another declaration I made on here -yet again. I was ready to change my life, just not yet lol.

Well, I decided last night I am going to choose a different path this time and NOT drink over the holidays. It wont make it any better, or any more fun. I ALWAYS regret drinking, I never look back and say "wow, I am glad I had that one last hurrah, that was fun"... Its a mistake I have made time and time again, and honestly, how can I be that committed to life long sobriety in January if I am not willing to do it now (just one more drink, party, hurrah, etc.). I think it lays the ground work for trying to find exceptions in the future.

I need to be done with this now. I cannot avoid Christmas, but I have decided to give new years parties a pass. My husband and I will take our daughter out to a movie instead. The party on Monday, I either wont drink or wont go. My husband is supportive and wont be drinking either.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello again, and hope to be a part of this community going forward. Day 14!
Old 12-18-2015, 06:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Avra View Post

I never look back and say "wow, I am glad I had that one last hurrah, that was fun"
Isn't that the truth.
Good luck,
M-Bob
Old 12-18-2015, 06:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome bk Avra
Old 12-18-2015, 06:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

It is good to hear your body is thanking you for reducing the drinking. I hope your holidays go well and move you yet further towards your goal.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks for the welcome back. I am determined to have a sober Christmas. Even if it doesn't seem "fun" at the time, I know on the other side of it all, I will be relieved.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome back, Avra; nice to see you.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome back Avra. Quitting now is a great idea. tomorrow never comes and all that. It can be done. I quit on 8th Dec 2012 and got through the holiday season. You can do it too

Avoid parties, no is a valid response to invites, drinks or anything. I did whatever I had to do to stay sober and knew going to parties so early on was asking for trouble. I knew from past experience that I would not stay sober at a drunken gathering so I just didn't go. There is plenty of time later on when you have more time under your belt to try these things out. I agree, you can't avoid Christmas totally but think missing certain parties is an excellent idea.

I've never regretted getting sober and you won't either
Old 12-18-2015, 11:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back. Glad you're ready to get sober for good. Hope we can help you do that.
Old 12-18-2015, 12:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
Welcome back Avra. Quitting now is a great idea. tomorrow never comes and all that. It can be done. I quit on 8th Dec 2012 and got through the holiday season. You can do it too

Avoid parties, no is a valid response to invites, drinks or anything. I did whatever I had to do to stay sober and knew going to parties so early on was asking for trouble. I knew from past experience that I would not stay sober at a drunken gathering so I just didn't go. There is plenty of time later on when you have more time under your belt to try these things out. I agree, you can't avoid Christmas totally but think missing certain parties is an excellent idea.

I've never regretted getting sober and you won't either
Thanks for the advice. The party is at my neighbours so if the AV is revved up I can leave pretty easily. Or, I may not go and just come up with an excuse. Christmas I will just get through. In laws drink but usually not heavily so if I can make it through cocktail hour I will be fine.
Old 12-18-2015, 12:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome back. Glad you're ready to get sober for good. Hope we can help you do that.
Thanks Least!
Old 12-18-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back, Avra!

I like your plan to do something different this New Year's Eve. Early sobriety is a good time to make changes like that and to make new memories.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Sobriety is great, isnt it? Don't give in. 14 days is great. The physical part is over. Now it is getting used to being sober. Surrender to sobriety.

Being able to push through a tough workout, or long day at work is worth it.

The damage we do to our body for those short minutes of euphoria is so not worth it. Being drunk over the holidays is not attractive anymore.

It is so worth it to stay clean. Don't wait until you get in trouble or damage yourself to quit. Alcohol is poison. Don't believe the hype.

Proud to be a sober man. Protecting and cheerishing my health. Haven't been seriously ill for the first time in my life for the last 8 months. AMEN.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

So Mother-in-law just called to ask some questions about our visit at christmas. I guss my husband must have said something about us not drinking because she asked me .
Her: "will you be drinking at christmas?"
Me: "no"
her: "nothing at all?"
Me: "nope"
Her: "will R?(hubbie)
Me: "nope"
Her : "oh, okay"

And that was that. She doesnt realy know why we havent been drinking but she knows i have gone overboard with drinking in past (she has witnessed it) so perhaps she figures its a problem. She also knows we have been trying to diet and exercise so perhaps she sees it as a lifestyle change. Either way, she sounded disappointed and i know she likes her drinks. She can be a bit pushy getting her way so i suspect she will try to tempt us a bit. BUT thats did go easier than planned. And i am glad that is settled before the holidays..
Ladt night wasnt tough but i suspect monday will be at this party. I am thinking i will go for an hour, as its just next door, then leave.
Old 12-20-2015, 04:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Avra...I can relate.

That's how I grew up. The feeling is always there to join in. They don't see booze like we do is all. At least there are family and friends in that circle that don't drink or hardly drink.

The internet and SR educated me and turned my life around.
Old 12-20-2015, 05:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Avra ''only way is up '' well done you can do it .

Stevie
Old 12-20-2015, 05:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

if you don't feel up to it there is always another time best building sober muscles x
Old 12-21-2015, 08:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi all, thanks for posting. I feel so bad that i almost made it through december but messed tonight. I didn't have much but that doesn't matter does it. I had two drinks. Not drunk but still i really just messed up mentally from this. Arrrgg this month had been so positive for me. God i hate this.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

Learn from this & move on

Print out this thread if it helps & keep it in your wallet