Notices

What Gives?

Old 12-18-2015, 04:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What Gives?

Yesterday was day 1 and I posted about it. My sentiments haven't changed, I'm going to quit! However, my job gives a couple of weeks off for Christmas break. The first thing I thought about this morning was how much fun I was going to have over break without having to worry about going to work hungover. This is ridiculous!!! It's only day 2 but I am steadfast and determined to not give in. I just can't figure out how I can be so desperate for sobriety yet my mind drifts to good time charlie.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Waino777 View Post
I just can't figure out how I can be so desperate for sobriety yet my mind drifts to good time charlie.
It's called addiction.

Congratulations on your decision to live a sober life.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

That's very typical. Do you have a plan in place for your extended time off? That time could be good or bad for you addiction. Me, I'd plan on really taking care of myself. I'd do some reading and getting out getting some exercise. But everyone is different so do what works for you for taking care of yourself.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Quitting drinking and getting sober are 2 completely separate things Waino. Congrats on day 2, but remember that you are still very, very early in the process. The initial physical withdrawal can last for several days itself, and then the more mental/psychological issues start to emerge.

What you are feeling is very normal and part of quitting. Your mind is used to the feeling it got from the alcohol and it craves it. That's where having a "plan" comes in. The cravings or thoughts of drinking will become less frequent and less strong over time, but they need ot be dealt with. Some people benefit from a very structured plan like AA/NA where there are meetings, steps, a sponsor, etc. Others choose self paced methods like AVRT or others. Some take the extra step and do some kind of rehab, either inpatient or outpatient. Therapy is also a good tool for some. But the real key is learning to deal with life's ups and downs without resorting to alchol...and that's a lot more than just "not drinking", right?

Keep up the good work and don't be afraid to ask for help in forming a plan...there are many here who have done so.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

That's your AV kick them thoughts outta the park you can do this
Old 12-18-2015, 06:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

That's normal to have conflicting feelings. With more sober time your resolve to stay sober will get stronger. Just don't drink and work on a plan to stay sober.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's very normal to have those crazy thoughts Waino - it's how we respond to them that counts

D
Old 12-18-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, it's the denial part of the disease that distorts the picture. It would probably be a good idea to make some sober plans for those two weeks when you're off work.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I used to drink for everything. Celebrate? Drink! Sad? Drink! Mad, bored, frustrated, Wednesday, sunny, raining, vacation, long day at work, you get the picture. It's a habit. Habitual thoughts and actions take time to reprogram.

I just kept saying, "Yeah, but I don't drink," every time of the two million times the thought to drink came up in the first few months. If I don't pick up a drink and pour it in my mouth, then it's true. It becomes a new habit.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I almost sabotaged myself many times, Waino - in the early months of quitting. I was sorry for myself and afraid of missing out on all the 'fun'. Yet it had been years since drinking brought me anything but regrets and misery. Being free of it finally began to feel really good - and I decided I was going to embrace the new life I was building and stop pretending drinking was fun and exciting. You will get there. Glad you are here to talk it over.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Alcohol is an ugly beast. It will try to trick you or help you come up with some reason to drink. Believe me it happened to me after 13 years sober. I was like I got this, one or two won't hurt, but now 3 years later and I am on day 5. Oh I had "good" reasons my dad died, last kid graduated from high school. " I was free to do whatever I wanted." Wrong, wrong, wrong I am an alcoholic and cannot drink. Have you tried an open AA meeting? It's hard to go but so worth it when it's over and you might just want to go back. Take care

Susan
Old 12-18-2015, 05:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Alcohol is an ugly beast. It will try to trick you or help you come up with some reason to drink. Believe me it happened to me after 13 years sober. I was like I got this, one or two won't hurt, but now 3 years later and I am on day 5. Oh I had "good" reasons my dad died, last kid graduated from high school. " I was free to do whatever I wanted." Wrong, wrong, wrong I am an alcoholic and cannot drink. Have you tried an open AA meeting? It's hard to go but so worth it when it's over and you might just want to go back. Take care

Susan
Old 12-18-2015, 08:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I'm going to sleep sober! The idea of just getting through the next few minutes every time a craving hits is seeming to resonate with me. I didn't drink every day though, I binged a few days a week, so I know the toughest tests are yet to come. Thanks for the help. I'll probably be back posting tomorrow
Old 12-18-2015, 11:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've done that a few times whilst trying to quit ..... For a few seconds you forget your trying to quit and your mind works as though your still drinking ..... and then you remember!!
Old 12-19-2015, 12:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I needed to mindfully form new habits if I wanted to break the old ones before I could find any sort of comfort in sobriety. When I just removed alcohol but tried to carry on as normal my AV had much more ammunition.

It's an obsession of the mind... That obsession will weaken and stop calling out so much (eventually) - as long as you don't feed the beast.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You don't have to stay sober the whole two weeks.

Just stay sober today.

And tomorrow when you get up, just try to stay sober for that 24 hour period. The phrase "one day at a time" is actually a way of life.