Notices

Curious question

Old 12-18-2015, 12:33 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Regret of yesterday and fear of tomorrow. Actually, I found age(older) an asset in quitting and not harder / a hindrance.

Welcome, glad you're here friend
Old 12-18-2015, 04:37 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Was told that my liver enzymes were slightly elevated after a routine physical and blood work. Some of my friends in the medical profession told me it could be for lots of different reasons, but I knew EXACTLY why they were elevated. I had them retested 6 weeks later, after having cut my drinking back for the test. Sure enough, they came back within normal levels. I was out of town with friends when I got the results. How did I celebrate? I drank - and drank some more, heavily, and continued! That was in July 2014. Two months later in September I came to my senses and realized that if I stopped, I may just dodge a bullet. The next time I might not be so lucky. So it clicked, and here I am almost 15 months sober. I was 48 when I have it up.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:37 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I quit when I realized I was about to start losing stuff.

Like my marriage, my family, my health, my self esteem . . .

Fortunately, I managed to gain all of that back.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:54 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Ditto

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
I quit for two reasons. And boy did I not want to quit for the longest time.

At 31 years old I was diagnosed with alcoholic liver damage. That kind of took the fun out of it and made me realize that I had to stop. Did I stop? Yes. For a whole week. I drank one more year and then got sober in June 2014. Why would I drink after a diagnosis? I was totally in denial and an addict.

Honest to God the reason I stopped is because it made me feel like crap all the time. I drank every night. I was hung over every day at work. I didn't ever vomit but I was sweaty and clammy and felt like complete and total crap every day all day. The only two states I lived in were drunk and hung over.

I woke up one morning in June 2014 with what I can honestly say was the worst hangover I've ever had. And I have had hundreds of record-breaking hangovers. So when I say the worst I ever had trust me it was really bad.

I was just disgusted with myself that I would have to spend a few days on the couch not able to move. Really acted out the same morning hundreds of times. Upon waking just knowing that I was completely useless and nearly paralyzed for the whole day with a horrible hangover. I was sick and tired of living like that.

I was finally able to stop drinking when I wanted to be sober more than I wanted to drink.

I have been sober for 18 months. Now it is completely and 100% normal to not drink alcohol. I don't even really think about it. There is really nothing I miss about it. There was a time in my life that I really enjoyed drinking but by the time I stopped drinking the fun times were long long gone. Loooooong gone.
I could copy and paste everything you said that's my story word for word. I'm only 11 days but will never poison myself again.
Old 12-20-2015, 12:37 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grizzly18 View Post
I could copy and paste everything you said that's my story word for word. I'm only 11 days but will never poison myself again.
Hey Grizzly,

I'm glad you found similarities in our stories. Reading others' stories on here was the NUMBER ONE thing that helped me get sober. Number one thing.

My life has improved in every way since I stopped drinking. It was hard in the beginning but it actually gets pretty easy after a while. Staying sober is not a struggle now. I would describe it like driving a car down the highway. Every now and then you have to turn the wheel ever so slightly and you keep your foot on the accelerator but you're doing these two things without even really thinking about it.

But as you can see I'm here on SR so I must be thinking about my sobriety. It helps me stay mindful and it's like an insurance policy for my sobriety.

But if sobriety was a 10/10 of white knuckles the first week, it's a 1/10 now at a year and half.