Notices

4 Weeks!!!

Old 12-17-2015, 08:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

4 Weeks!!!

Hello all,

Yesterday was 4 weeks for me. This is a huge accomplishment for me b/c that is the longest dry period I've had in over 7 years. The longest before this was about a week.

I'm doing better, but like everyone else I still have my good days and my bad days. The anxiety is still there in full force and somedays it's worse than others. I just have to keep pushing through and tell myself that it will not last forever. This has been very trying time for me and my family.

I would really like to say that I'm the luckiest guy on earth. My wife has been by my side no matter what through this. I've not been the best husband to her and have made my mistakes w/ the bottle. She has stuck it out with me b/c she says that she knows what person is under that fake skin I like to wear when I'm drinking. I love her and I'm blessed that she is in my life.

One thing that has been a big difference for me that I never noticed. I never spent enough time w/ my kids. Don't get me wrong I was there physically, but mentally I was checked out and was not involved the way a father is supposed to be. Lately I have been able to watch movies with them, play games, go outside, and last night I even took them Christmas shopping for their mom! That was an awesome time!!!!!

Overall I know this is a slow process and I still have a long way to go. Thank you all here that has been supportive and encouraging. I really appreciate this group and all everyone does for each other here!

Thank you,

Scottie
Old 12-17-2015, 08:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Keep on Scottie ,

It's worthwhile

m
Old 12-17-2015, 08:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Fantastic news, Scottie. Really pleased for you.

And I know exactly what you mean about the difference between being around the kids, and actually being there with them. That's been the best thing about being sober for me. I always thought I was there for them. Now I really am.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What a lovely heartwarming post! So appreciative of your wife and enjoying REAL time with your children. Thanks for sharing and truly well done on 4 weeks and reaping very important benefits.
xx
Old 12-17-2015, 08:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

4 weeks is fantastic, Scottie. Stay focused. Be ready for that unexpected urge to drink. It will strike suddenly and with a vengeance. Think about how you will deal with it when it comes.

You are doing great. Congratulations. Keep posting. Keep doing what you are doing.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Scottie you sir are awesome congrats on 4 weeks

I have a framed picture of your signature someone got me it as a present
Old 12-17-2015, 09:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Soberwolf! My Father in Law is a Navajo medicine man and sends me those things often since I've been going through this change. They give me a lift daily!
Old 12-17-2015, 12:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on the first of many sober months.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Scottie

D
Old 01-06-2016, 06:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello all,

Just wanted to check in. I haven't posted since Christmas. Well I'm still on the wagon and today is 7 weeks! That is a major accomplishment for me. It has not been w/o it's ups and downs though. I've been in the hospital once due to bad panic attacks. Anxiety is a daily issue that I have to deal with. I am trying to get to the bottom of it though by working w/ counselors and substance abuse material.

Thank you all for being here. I do check in everyday and read everyone's post. I hope all out there are doing good and keep the faith and keep working.

Thank you,

Scottie
Old 01-06-2016, 06:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Don't let it go now that you have a good taste

Originally Posted by sc0ot3r1982 View Post

Yesterday was 4 weeks for me. This is a huge accomplishment for me b/c that is the longest dry period I've had in over 7 years.
Congratulations with your great start on a sober life.
For us drunks -- the sober life is the best life.
Stick with us now -- ok.
M-Bob
Old 01-06-2016, 06:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sc0ot3r1982 View Post
Hello all,

Yesterday was 4 weeks for me. This is a huge accomplishment for me b/c that is the longest dry period I've had in over 7 years. The longest before this was about a week.

I'm doing better, but like everyone else I still have my good days and my bad days. The anxiety is still there in full force and somedays it's worse than others. I just have to keep pushing through and tell myself that it will not last forever. This has been very trying time for me and my family.

I would really like to say that I'm the luckiest guy on earth. My wife has been by my side no matter what through this. I've not been the best husband to her and have made my mistakes w/ the bottle. She has stuck it out with me b/c she says that she knows what person is under that fake skin I like to wear when I'm drinking. I love her and I'm blessed that she is in my life.

One thing that has been a big difference for me that I never noticed. I never spent enough time w/ my kids. Don't get me wrong I was there physically, but mentally I was checked out and was not involved the way a father is supposed to be. Lately I have been able to watch movies with them, play games, go outside, and last night I even took them Christmas shopping for their mom! That was an awesome time!!!!!

Overall I know this is a slow process and I still have a long way to go. Thank you all here that has been supportive and encouraging. I really appreciate this group and all everyone does for each other here!

Thank you,

Scottie
Good Job it only gets better
Old 01-06-2016, 06:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well done Scottie. I'm on day 12 again after 6 weeks sober before xmas and I think the best part of this for me is noticing my improving patience and relationships with my 2 children. Keep it up my friend.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

7 Weeks is fantastic Scottie!! Keep it going!!
Old 01-06-2016, 07:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Nice Scottie!!
Old 01-06-2016, 09:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

sc0ot3r1982, Great

Me too, I'm 29 days sober. four weeks but not a month. Tomorrow I gett'n me one of them red chips.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well done on seven weeks Scottie.

You mention panic attacks. They are quite difficult to define so I expect it's hard for hospitals and doctors to treat them. I would say that spending time with sober people in AA meetings, most of them say their anxiety level decreases with sober time and especially when they fill their lives with fulfilling activities and relationships. So doing stuff with the kids sounds like a good idea.

What else are you doing as part of your plan to stay sober?
Old 01-06-2016, 10:54 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best