Notices

Need to make it through the next 21 days...

Old 12-16-2015, 11:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Need to make it through the next 21 days...

I'm starting a bit of a journey with my Dad today. We are heading from New Zealand back to our homeland England to spend Xmas with the family. This trip has been in the works for About 6 months and I have been absolutely dreading it.

Unfortunately, England holds many bad memories for me and my parents and there are loads of family issues that are basically the root cause of my depression, anxiety and drinking issues. Going back is already bringing stuff up for me and it's going to be tough emotionally. I feel like I'm going back into a hornets nest - I really don't want to get on the plane

I've got 4 sober days under my belt and I'm committed to keeping it going. I think I need to do this sober and deal with this once and for all. How long will I let this family stuff define my life?

My plan for staying sober:
- lots of recovery reading on my kobo
- listening to music to stay relaxed
- journaling everyday
- keep adding to and rereading my "what I want out of sobriety" list
- exercise when I can (hotel gyms and running)
- lots of photography with my SLR
- I also have some work to do for a business I'm starting.

I thought I'd create this thread so I can check in here when I can. I'll have limited access to wifi and SR but I will log on whenever I have a chance!
I think if I can get through the next 21 days sober then I'll have a fighting chance at this sobriety thing.

Thanks for listening X
Old 12-17-2015, 12:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good luck on the trip Kellyrally, sounds like you have a good plan in place.
Hope all goes well
Old 12-17-2015, 12:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just start counting those days off one by one. Once you get passed this it sounds like you'll have some smooth sailing.

I'm rooting for ya!
Old 12-17-2015, 12:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It helps me to try to view bad situations as a challenge. I've been viewing obstacles as a "challenge accepted!" It turns a lot of things into a sort of difficult adventure for me, instead of just a difficulty. If things are taking a toll, it wouldn't hurt to try? I just joined this forum and am weary of how I go about giving advice. I don't want to be seen as pushing anybody or acting like I know how to do things, as everybody has their own ways.

Good luck, and keep posting here for support through this challenge! It's a good place to be, I've discovered. I'll be thinking of you!
Old 12-17-2015, 12:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good luck to you, it sounds tough but definitely not impossible. What about getting to a meeting while you are there? You could look up AA or SMART Recovery meetings nearby your hotel.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't know what part of England you're coming back to but if you're in London, PM me as I go to loads of AA meetings and can send you a list of my favourites!

I think your plan is brilliant. I'm going to copy down a couple of your suggestions as I'm going on holiday tomorrow.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I recommend this link about recovery plans Kelly:

https://store.samhsa.gov/shin/conten...0/SMA-3720.pdf

Bon Voyage

D
Old 12-17-2015, 03:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Checking in here is a fabulous way to get support as well as to hold yourself accountable Stay strong friend!
Old 12-17-2015, 03:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Kellyrally,

Welcome to SR, and well done on making that commitment to sobriety.

If your goal is to deal with these issues once and for all, one thing is clear, that will only happen sober. Just read around on these forums and count all the people who tried to deal with their problems by drinking. Then count all the people who successfully dealt with their problems by drinking. I'll get you started, the answer to the second part is zero
Old 12-17-2015, 06:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Cool

First off, before I forget, congrats on your four days; I remember what that was like (back to that in a few).

Although I've never been, I'm betting there are lots of meetings in England.....here are a couple of links that might help.....:

Alcoholics Anonymous (Great Britain) Ltd - Home
AA Meetings | Alcoholics Anonymous (Great Britain) Ltd
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~

Now, how well I remember my first couple of weeks in recovery; I had to go back home (San Francisco, CA; I live in Houston, TX) to help with my mother when she returned home from hospital (she'd been hit by a car; she was the pedestrian......not a fair fight at all).

Most of my chores were the normal stuff: cooking; cleaning; shopping; etc. BUT, one wasn't so 'normal' for me so early in recovery.........I was also her bartender......not a lot of drinks; perhaps a before or after meal cocktail; or maybe a nightcap.....but I'd never learned how to mix a decent drink without tasting it.....lolol I got through it................and so will you.....!

Have a great time. I wish I could go and visit the places where some of my favorite TV shows are filmed.....: London; Manchester; Oxford; Yorkshire; Northumberland.........and although I know there's no such place as Midsomer, I'd still like to see where it's filmed......

(o:
Old 12-17-2015, 06:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoelleR View Post
First off, before I forget, congrats on your four days; I remember what that was like (back to that in a few).

Although I've never been, I'm betting there are lots of meetings in England.....here are a couple of links that might help.....:

Alcoholics Anonymous (Great Britain) Ltd - Home
AA Meetings | Alcoholics Anonymous (Great Britain) Ltd
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~

Now, how well I remember my first couple of weeks in recovery; I had to go back home (San Francisco, CA; I live in Houston, TX) to help with my mother when she returned home from hospital (she'd been hit by a car; she was the pedestrian......not a fair fight at all).

Most of my chores were the normal stuff: cooking; cleaning; shopping; etc. BUT, one wasn't so 'normal' for me so early in recovery.........I was also her bartender......not a lot of drinks; perhaps a before or after meal cocktail; or maybe a nightcap.....but I'd never learned how to mix a decent drink without tasting it.....lolol I got through it................and so will you.....!

Have a great time. I wish I could go and visit the places where some of my favorite TV shows are filmed.....: London; Manchester; Oxford; Yorkshire; Northumberland.........and although I know there's no such place as Midsomer, I'd still like to see where it's filmed......

(o:
I visited Broadchurch a month or so ago. Beautiful place (called something else in real life, but can't remember what). I'd never risk taking my family to Midsomer, though. The murder capital of Europe
Old 12-17-2015, 08:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have a safe trip KellyRally
Old 12-17-2015, 10:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support everyone. Sitting in the airport now waiting for first flight to Hong Kong - will be stopping there for 3 nights I think. Will be focusing on trying the local cuisine and not the drink
Old 12-17-2015, 11:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I really shouldn't be up (blame the weird dreams I'm still copping on Day 4) but had to say - kellyrally, Hong Kong can be a lovely place to sightsee - very cultural. Skip the bars, obviously. The glitzy Central area hasn't that much to offer that's different from other big cities. Dive into the local Cantonese neighborhoods, it's all very safe. Consider visiting the smaller islands for hikes and visits to local villages and temples. We are having some cracking weather at the moment - a little chilly but brilliant sunshine! Stay strong for the next 3 weeks. Wishing you a great trip!
Old 12-17-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

have a safe and great trip! Keep us updated on how you are doing!