Notices

Relapse prevention weekender Dec 18

Old 12-19-2015, 03:47 PM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Mr. Potamus ran into a downtown floating parade tonight -- a riverboat parade! He said Lucy's eyes got huge as the boats approached (she's never seen this before), and she thought they were going to get her. He said she crouched down on the kayak as if lions were coming at her. There are about to be fireworks. I told him to get her out of the water!
Old 12-19-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 382 (permalink)  

Well I'm tucked up in bed eating chocolates, drinking tea and watching Home Alone again (it's one of my guilty pleasures!)

Things could be worse I suppose.

I don't know what it is about this time of year. We are finally getting the house in order and it is a beautiful house, all done up.

I was shopping earlier and looking for something for my mom. The store had changed some of the aisles and I wandered down the booze aisle by mistake. For a second my eyes wandered and I thought "a baileys would be lovely" - and I never drank that ever!

I suppose it's marketed as a kind of 'Christmas drink'.

But I just can't do it. I am doing so well now and everyone I meet has remarked on the change in me. I couldn't put myself or my family through all of that again.

I don't know. My mom wants to have some of my cousins and their kids from her side of the family over for tea at some stage. Truthfully, I can't stand my mother's side of the family. I find them kind of competitive and aggressive as opposed to my father's family who are calmer, quieter people.

It's nice that my mom is feeling more sociable though. She was always extroverted. Then she stopped going out and stuff "because of her sick daughters".

She even asked me if I wanted to bring my "boyfriend" home. I've only known him for about six months. Given that he lives and works at the other side of the country, we have only met about six times. I think it's far too soon to "meet the parents".

After everything I've been through, I see no harm in having a little fun, and my therapist agrees and I'm happy with that.

And we do have fun. He's been teaching me how to play pool. After all my years of hiding away, it's nice to be out and about.
Old 12-19-2015, 04:00 PM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Bim, may I just say that you are awesomely cool! I would love to try scuba someday.

And am having a good chuckle over SP's doggie glasses.

Melina, I am so proud of you. I watched the clip from your NBC affiliate and literally got happy chills when the moments with you in them rolled around. It's amazing what we can do in sobriety. And the cauliflower looked delish.

I was thinking of that when, sure enough, the lyrics to Bruce and "Santa Claus is Coming to Town." I promise not to drive you guys nuts as the big day (Feb. 29) gets closer, but I did go a little overboard with my SR classmates when I went to the Rolling Stones over the summer.

For me, part of it is wistful, part just happy. I *did* do some things I was proud of while still drinking, but there was also a part of me that was always "I should" or "I ought to" or "one of these days." And I always said "one of these days" I wanted to see Springsteen. Part of it was because I love his music and part was because his stage shows are legendary. A big part of that was his remarkable friendship with Clarence Clemons and the chemistry they created on stage.

And I waited too long.

Damn it.

But I'll see the rest of them. Here's a clip of Bruce and the E Street Band doing Santa Claus. RIP, Big Man. You really were in a league of one.

Old 12-19-2015, 04:02 PM
  # 384 (permalink)  

I am getting in the sober bus! This will be my second Xmas sober! Can't believe it!
Old 12-19-2015, 04:02 PM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Who else hears Led Zeppelin in this??
Old 12-19-2015, 04:05 PM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tetra View Post
After all my years of hiding away, it's nice to be out and about.
That's good to read, Tetra!
Old 12-19-2015, 04:07 PM
  # 387 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Buggirl View Post
I am getting in the sober bus! This will be my second Xmas sober! Can't believe it!
Old 12-19-2015, 04:07 PM
  # 388 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome Buggirl
Old 12-19-2015, 04:13 PM
  # 389 (permalink)  

Hi brynn!!!
Well, I seem to be getting a cold. Sore throat and the nose is starting to get stuffed.....maybe if I rest for the rest of the weekend it will not get worse and will go away.
No way can I get caught up...I tried but there were 7-8 pages. But....I'm confused. People were calling lbrain Monica. ...what did I miss? I thought lbrain was a guy...
I got so much done today, it was ridiculous. I even got Christmas presents for my beloved dogs.
I picked up my new reclining chair which required assembly, which was supposed to be simple...yeah, right. But, after 2 hours of fighting with it, I am sitting on it with small dog on my lap.
I'm about to go to bed.
I'll check in later.
Old 12-19-2015, 04:16 PM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by happyandfree View Post
I picked up my new reclining chair which required assembly, which was supposed to be simple...yeah, right. But, after 2 hours of fighting with it, I am sitting on it with small dog on my lap.
That is awesome, HAF. Great job.
Old 12-19-2015, 04:16 PM
  # 391 (permalink)  

It takes a long time to catch up on this post! Happy to be off for two weeks and joining all of you.
Old 12-19-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 392 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by happyandfree View Post
But....I'm confused. People were calling lbrain Monica. ...what did I miss? I thought lbrain was a guy...
Mrs. Lbrain is a "Friends" fan and apparently LB is her "Monica".
Old 12-19-2015, 04:26 PM
  # 393 (permalink)  

I took my pink cloud down to the river and had a good ol time. So did my pure bred fishing dog

Old 12-19-2015, 04:27 PM
  # 394 (permalink)  

ooops Im sideways. That was my first attempt at a picture.
Old 12-19-2015, 04:30 PM
  # 395 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Tom Petty is one of the least appreciated musicians I can think of. His album "The Last DJ" is phenomenal.
Old 12-19-2015, 04:30 PM
  # 396 (permalink)  

Yah SP ~

A Tip O'The Hat to 'Black Dog' in that Tom Petty Song. Man, I wouldn't mind having some of that Legacy Gear around his Practice Studio.

Some Goombah stole one of his 'priceless' Guitars from a El Lay Rehearsal Space, and Pawned it for $750- or so. The Pawn Shop Owner recognized that expensive Rickenbacker - worth at least $25k - and got it back to Tom in time for a Tour we saw them on. Seen_yore Goombah Gangsta was arrested.

As this then-nameless Song was being wrapped in the Studio, Jimmy Page said that - wait for it - a black Dog walked across the Alley. No more to the name than that...

- 'Black Dog' ~ Led Zep -

Tom & The Boyz at Red Rocks Amphitheater in the Rain. See Joe Bonamassa there on You Tube.

- Red Rocks Pix -

Old 12-19-2015, 04:31 PM
  # 397 (permalink)  

Hi unique! Awesome catch! Great pic!
Old 12-19-2015, 04:34 PM
  # 398 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=uniqueusername;5698094]I took my pink cloud down to the river and had a good ol time. So did my pure bred fishing dog

Fantastic! It's great to enjoy things sober, isn't it!
Old 12-19-2015, 04:36 PM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Tom Petty is one of the least appreciated musicians I can think of.
I agree, Trach. I think he's genius at times.
Old 12-19-2015, 04:36 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  

Oh, very nice, Unique I see your doggy behind you.