Notices

Relapse prevention weekender Dec 18

Old 12-17-2015, 03:41 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your wedding and honeymoon Yogini! Enjoy your trip wherever you are going! Red Andy, I agree that keeping a drink in hand is important as is making sure you stay satisfied food wise. Do not go in hungry. If I am attending an event I feel nervous about I usually have a light but filling snack beforehand and a large glass of fruit juice, it really seems to help.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:52 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

HERE! Reporting for Duty!
My Lasiodora parahybana, "AJAX" molted yesterday!
WHOOPIE!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
L_parahybana121215A1.JPG (94.1 KB, 95 views)
Old 12-17-2015, 04:05 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Cheers Mera, that seems like good advice.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:07 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm here!

Everyone has said good things so far abut navigating social events. I would add, if you can have someone by your side who knows about and supports your sobriety, that's good too. Somewhere I have a whole list of relapse prevention strategies they gave me in treatment - I'll see if I can dig that up. Good topic for this time of year. I was sober last Christmas, but barely, and I was deep into AA and treatment, and still reeling from the DUI, so I was no way, no how, interested in drinking. This year, although I'm not too concerned, I'm aware that this is a common time of year for people to relapse. I'm on my guard.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:13 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Okay, I had my coffee and I'm much more pleasant to be around.

Hi people!

Thank you for another nice thread, Weasel!

Congrats on the shotgun, Melina!

Have a fabulous time on your honemoon, Yogini! How awesome it is to enjoy it clean and sober...

I just shared a new topic about a work party, had a major flash back this morning, ugh... Never again.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:15 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
Red Andy, I agree that keeping a drink in hand is important as is making sure you stay satisfied food wise. Do not go in hungry.
^^^ Yes!
Old 12-17-2015, 04:22 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Out.

Just Kidding - IN!
Its gonna be a great weekend. All the kiddoes are coming home.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:29 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Great opening post, Ken. I feel it, too, Bro.

Oh, how the addict living in my head likes to make everything I experience about him.

Nons>>> <<<AV
Get back in your box!

Old 12-17-2015, 04:46 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Nice powerful post, Ken.

I'm in!

Nons, ha! I laughed over your "out."

Congrats, Melina, on shotgun.

It's raining here this morning. That's surprising to me. Should be clearing up by the time I'll need to leave this morning ~9am.

Katie came home last night, ate her dinner, and then had a much needed bath. She was completely soaked and muddied.

Mr. Potamus and I argued last night over two issues. I asked him to clear off the kitchen island area that's slowly been growing its clutter pile. I can't use it for its intended purpose -- to chop things and cook! He made a snarky comment. This all devolved into him letting me know he has females flirting with him, waiting in the wings for him to become available. Instead of blowing my lid as I'd done in the past over these asinine comments, I let it slide (though I was seething inside). I told him he isn't nearly as good looking as he believes he is, but yes, to go on, not waste any more time, and find one of the girls to run off with and enjoy his life. He apparently wasn't expecting to hear that. That abruptly shut down the argument, and later, he admitted he was embellishing greatly about the flirting. Yeah, well, you said it, buddy. It came out of your mouth, true or not.

We went to bed mad.

He woke up telling me he is going to take off work for my surgery. Gee, thanks. It took an argument over clearing up clutter than devolved into an insulting threat to chase after other women to set him straight on being supportive of his wife during her major surgery.

He said he'd take off work, and I told him, no worries, my ex will be available if he'd rather work.

And he will be. He's already let me know he can be there before and after.

I am pretty disgusted already this morning.

And over the past few days I had been happy, thinking how much Mr. Potamus had changed lately, how much nicer, and more respectful he seemed. Well, he has, but I am still waiting for the day he will be able to handle a comment from me about clearing off some clutter.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:11 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Great topic, Weasel! You are really hitting your stride man. Congrats on the 5K, the promotion...and getting your teeth fixed. Well done, sir.

Hey Petals, how's the taxi cab service going?

Soberclover, great to hear you rocked it with the diet coke. I haven't been to a wedding or formal party in a while, but it's always helped me to have a club soda in hand when needed.

Yogini, congrats! Enjoy and be safe and sober on your honeymoon. You'll be happy to start the foundation for your new life as a sober individual.

Behan, big xmas for you with lots of "firsts". Congrats buddy! You can do it man.

RedAndy - that first NYE can be tough. Staying home is most certainly the answer, and it sounds like you've found a great solution. Going out on NYE is walking into the lion's den.

Starting the day at work here. Watered the plants this morning, always love to smell the rosemary, mint, and basil plants as they come to life when I pour the water over them on my balcony. Ciao for now gang.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:58 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I'm in!

I have a lot of errands to run in town today so I popped into a fast food restaurant for something quick. Unfortunately my arrival coincided with the arrival of a load of teenagers from the local boys secondary school. God help those teachers. I could hear one guy at the next table - he looked about 16 - saying "I will just need 4 cans and a naggin. That will do me. I'll be so sick then".

I'm not sure if he was serious or just showing off in front of his mates. Either way it didn't make my lunch break any more enjoyable.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:13 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hmmm, a Naggin'?
Wiki'ed it and got it.
Thanks Tetra!
Old 12-17-2015, 06:23 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I'm in for a sober weekend. Yay!
I woke up with a smile this morning. Must be because of the happy, sober birthday and all the wonderful birthday greetings I got from you all. Thanks melina! And the rib eye made me happy. Wow.
so this is a really good topic for just about now. I certainly don't want to blow feeling this good by drinking. But thoughts of drinking continue for me and I need to beware. If I was hungover, I would not be smiling right now.
But...geeze...it's really cold here. Woke up to 17°. Got my pellet stove AND my furnace blasting. We will have to bundle up for our morning walk. My dogs all have winter coats.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:27 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thanks BigS!

Just had lunch after bunking out of work to do a tiny bit of xmas shopping. Chaos out there.

I have had many a naggin growing up
but more flagon's than naggins.

B
Old 12-17-2015, 06:30 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! Day two of my extended period off.

Thanks Weasel for getting us started and in case you missed my last post on last week's thread, congratulations on your promotion. That's stellar!

Non, that's exciting that all the kids are coming home. Enjoy!

I was never much a NYE person. I usually go to bed before midnight. Good tips here though RedAndy, for any occasion.

I'm going to have coffee with some friends of mine this morning. I think I may leave out early to go to an AA meeting. I need extra support lately. Mr. Ruby is apparently off the rails again.

Behan, enjoy your first sober Christmas with little Master Finn. Awesome.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:33 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Morning all!

I'm up earlyyyyyyy for me. Going to see the little one sing Jingle Bells at his school holiday thing.

And then we will buy a star for the Christmas tree that my bf bought- I didn't have to go get a tree with them after all!

Today is my second to last day of work at this job. Guess what? They are laying off 6 cooks and they would have let go a chef (not me) TOMORROW.

Things haven't been going well in terms of revenue, it'll be corrected, but the projected rev was wayyyyy overblown to the investors. For a first year in business they really over projected. So, heads roll. I think next year will be much better for them.

But think about that... I feel that through sobriety, I was able to pick up upon enough non verbal cues to feel comfortable and not disloyal speaking to and eventually accepting a position in another kitchen.

I saved a chef's job exactly when they were making the decision to cut one. It would've been the young guy, so he owes me haha.

I wouldn't have picked up on the signs to gracefully exit if I would have still been drinking. I would have rolled with the cuts and the tightenings and become increasingly bitter and I would've drank over it. And complained complained complained.

I got sober at this job after trying to hang with the cooks in their 20s a little in January. I scared myself bc I immediately started driving drunk again after hanging with them instead of my usual solitary drinking.

I knew I couldn't hang and I saw that it was a foolish endeavor to try. My social drinking ship had sailed years ago, my solitary drinking was killing me and I chose to start taking on a mother role to my bf's child. I also wanted to give myself the chance to be the best chef I can be, with a clear head and to wake up with a clear head every day.

So now I will come back on Saturday for my last day.. The layoffs go down Friday. I'll give lots of hugs and be grateful I had a really good year and I got to leave on my terms and for a position way bigger in scope.

I know it's bc of sobriety that my gut put enough of the signs together.

What other things will I begin to notice with more sober time? I'm very intrigued and excited- a life in recovery is a special gift and I am now even more invested to guard it and treasure it!
Old 12-17-2015, 06:36 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Lunar, that is SO cool about Ajax!
Old 12-17-2015, 06:44 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Thanks fir the excellent opening post Ken Congratulations on getting shotgun Melina
Way to go Ajax

Late lunch for me

Going Ten Pin Bowling with some folks from work tonight (as a teen i used to bowl every week - hopefully I've still got it)
Old 12-17-2015, 06:47 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Tetra - 200cl bottles called a split here - don't know why
Old 12-17-2015, 06:51 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I'm in. Will be working through the weekend and home at night with my non-drinking husband. No parties - no need to attend those in my early sobriety.
Thank you all for being here!