Notices

When do I pull the plug

Old 12-16-2015, 07:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When do I pull the plug

I am going to end up going crazy. I have family issues that make desperate housewives blush. All I want is a nice Holiday vacation with my wife. This is ending up being a complex algorithm. I'm getting close to simply wanting out of it all. I'm serious. File for divorce, divide assets, move to Alaska and get a job as a mailman. My mind is like scrambled eggs and it's not alcohol. What would you do?
Old 12-16-2015, 07:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'd say it's no different than your problem with alcohol. Accept and identify the issues and seek help for them. Running away won't fix anything, just like drinking isn't an escape.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think Scott pretty much nailed it Jeff.

If family issues are making you crazy, step out of the family issues , and put the focus back on you and your recovery.

D
Old 12-16-2015, 07:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My family has feather-duster's . I have a 10 lb sledge with bulldozers when it comes to family "ammunition". I'm getting close to using it. I don't want, NOR do I have to deal with it.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't use any wrecking balls Jeff...I just accepted this wasn't a fight or an atmosphere that was good for me, and I quietly stepped back.

If you want to make others see your point of view, or do what you think they should do, then you have a problem.

At this stage of your recovery I think you'd do well to consider this IS not your fight, and as I said, put your focus elsewhere.

D
Old 12-16-2015, 08:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have just had it. Tonight was the final staw. My 70 year old mother has been secretly following on facebook because she doesn't approve of my business relationship friends. My brother in law is still absolutely "pickled" and I'm sure he will have health issues soon. My wife can't make a decision to save her life. My dog is already depressed because he see's her packing a suitcase. Lastly, my dad is still heavily addicted to oxy and I had to bail him out yet again yesterday because he couldn't take it. I'm done. Guess who's #1 for the rest of my life....ME. Sorry, had to get that off my chest.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I came to the foum tonight hoping that you had posted. I'm glad you're here. That means you're still fighting. Fight hard, Thomas. You can live a sober life. You know you can.

Family is not always easy. They're people with their own strengths, personalities and needs, after all. This particular family is yours, with warts. They care about you.

Not having anyone care about you is much, much worse.

When you feel like running away read a book. This is a spontaneous, but serious suggestion. Relax and lose yourself for a little while in a good story.

Take care.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello thomas11,

I feel for you brother. They have problems but they are not your problems unless you make them so. Do what you can to help but stop destroying yourself.

Take your vacation and turn the cell phone off.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I gave up trying to fix people or situations,

Other people will be judgemental , it's not for me to respond to that ,

Other people can have dramas and problems, it isn't always for me to fix things or even offer an opinion .

There is a lot of life that happens outside my control or influence .

By being more careful in what things i pick up and run with, i think the results are better and i am less spent as an individual . just because we see a mess we don't necessarily need to deal with it .

Take care , remember to do some self care and do something good for yourself , m
Old 12-16-2015, 11:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Jeff have you tried gratitude lists I back up D's advice about quietly stepping bk
Old 12-17-2015, 12:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I gave up family and work drama when I quit the drink, and it's really working for my sobriety. I recommend it.

Delfin
Old 12-17-2015, 12:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That is their stuff Jeff, you stick to worrying about yours. Just live your life in a good, healthy way and there is nothing that you have to be ashamed of. I'll post again the Italian quote I like to try and live by "male non fare, paura non avere" Don't do anything wrong and you have nothing to fear.
So what if your mom is following you on Facebook, if you aren't doing anything wrong what is there to hide or fear? She can approve, disapprove, like, not like all she wants. That is her stuff.
Watching the addictions of another is frustrating and heartbreaking but as an addict yourself you know full well there is nothing you can do. Until they are ready to make a change this is how they will be. Probably the best thing you can do is model positive change for them.
I'm not sure what is up with your wife so it is difficult to advise you there, my apologies if you posted more infer in another thread and I missed it. In any case, no one is perfect. Some people can't make decisions. Others are sloppy around the house. Others still forget to pay bills. We all have our own stuff to work on. I get your frustration with her lack of being able to make a decision, but again, that is her stuff. If she is your wife and you love her you can try to help her. Or you can just accept her for who she is, flaws and all.
It sounds like you are really frustrated and could use some time away to clear your head. Can you get out daily for a walk or some exercise? I'm not sure where you are with you PT right now, so if a long walk isn't an option what about a ride in the countryside listening to good music?
Old 12-17-2015, 12:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

What the guys n gals are telling you thomas is that it you continue to let this stress you then sooner or later you are going to pick up the bottle....and then its not going to matter what other problems people have because yours will be worse. So first things first, try to chill out, protect your sobriety. Then, and only then, take a fresh look at what you need to resolve some of these other issues.

btw, you don't know how lucky you have it, my wife takes all the decisions.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

We cannot change the behaviour of others, but we can change our own. I know gratitude lists have already been suggested and I find them helpful; it just helps to stay mindful and focused. Sobriety can clear a lot of things up, things usually become clearer in my opinion and it's best to deal with these tricky family situations with a clear head. I'm glad you are here and sharing :-)
Old 12-17-2015, 01:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Jeff you've been working hard at your own business for years. What are you doing now? For you and for others? I'm not asking that you answer those questions here, I'm suggesting that you ask them of yourself.

You are a person of great energy and drive. Use those attributes well.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi,

This has almost certainly been asked and answered before, but are you seeing a counsellor about any of this? The thing is, we can offer general tips and suggestions, but we don't have anywhere near enough information on which to base any solid advice about your own family situation, and very importantly, you are the one who then has to live with the consequences of whatever you do, not us. That has to be your decision based on what's right for you and your family.

If you need help with figuring out what's best, I very, very, very strongly urge you to see a professional counsellor who can help you work through all the options. Help you sort through what's real, and what might be just your perception of what's real (I throw that one out there simply because of what we've seen of your relationship with alcohol). To help you come to terms with things you can and should try to change, and what is outside your control. To help you set your priorities.

I know in the past I was guilty of thinking therapy was only for people with serious mental health issues, not just anyone going through a rough time. But I was completely wrong about that. If you've tried it before and felt it didn't work, keep in mind there are many different therapeutic approaches, and the relationship you form with the individual counsellor is crucial. So you might have just tried the wrong approach, and/or were working with the wrong individual counsellor. Please do give it another chance with someone else. I really do think it could make a real difference to your life.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I didn't use any wrecking balls Jeff...I just accepted this wasn't a fight or an atmosphere that was good for me, and I quietly stepped back.

If you want to make others see your point of view, or do what you think they should do, then you have a problem.

At this stage of your recovery I think you'd do well to consider this IS not your fight, and as I said, put your focus elsewhere.

D
I agree with you and Scotty, I know its the mature approach and its ultimately what I will do, and have been doing. But it doesn't take away the fact that sometimes the idiocy makes me FURIOUS. And last night I got as close to being furious as I have been in a long time.

In the US we have a saying (not sure about the rest of the world) about office politics or family drama and we call them "reindeer games". Seems appropriate this time of year.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:48 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

something i work at using when people try to drag me into their drama, which they dont drag me in unless i allow it:

not my circus
not my monkeys.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Trudgin

There were no geographic cures to my problems - It was an inside job to find peace and serenity.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
But it doesn't take away the fact that sometimes the idiocy makes me FURIOUS. And last night I got as close to being furious as I have been in a long time.
This is a YOU issue, not a THEM issues. You cannot, and will never be able to, control what others do. It's simply not possible. You can control the level of interaction you have will people ( family included ) and how you react. To be quite blunt you need help in dealing with these situations - most likely either through therapy or simply removing yourself from them entirely for a while. Most likely you need both. And you still have completely sidestepped the 900 pound gorilla in the room which is your drinking....quite honestly it seems as though you are using these other issues to avoid facing the real problem.