Notices

Questions for Those in Recovery Who Workout.....

Old 12-16-2015, 04:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Questions for Those in Recovery Who Workout.....

For me, working out really helps keep the gloom and anxiety down to a minimum. It makes me feel very good. I tend to do a lot more cardio than weight lifting, but I try to do both. If I don't work out for a few days, I start to feel sluggish and unhappy. It's healthy and I enjoy it but I kind of feel like a slave to working out. I'm only 2.5 months into abstaining from drinking/smoking weed, and am hoping some day I can get away without working out (at least for a week or two).

I'm really hoping I won't need the crutch of having to workout to feel normal. I can recall a time before abusing drugs and alcohol where I didn't have to worry about working out because I felt good as I was. Exercise literally wouldn't cross my mind at all, but now it's like I know a storm will come if I don't do it. This was years ago of course, and I guess things change.

My question is if anyone else feels the same way about working out? Is it a chore that must get done in order to have a stable mood?

For those further along in recovery.....If you don't workout for let's say a month, do your emotions stay level?
Old 12-16-2015, 04:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's a hobby of mine. I actually think that there is no better high out there than the high that you get after a workout. I'm more into moving weights though, not cardio. I actually sometimes get pissed off when I have an off day from the gym.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SLD

I am not a work-out fiend, but I do moderate exercise.

My wife, however, at 53, has the exact same body she had in college - Yay for me!! - but she gets it by a dedicated workout and eating schedule. If she doesn't, she gets grumpy and agitated. I'd say yes she NEEDS her exercise, it's like a drug to her, endorphins and all.

But in the end, why worry? It's good for you. Do you feel the need to be able to exist and feel "normal" without working out? Or is your case one of those where it's excessive, you're spending multiple daily hours doing it, such that it interferes with your lifestyle, friends, family?
Old 12-16-2015, 04:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on 2 1/2 months!!!

Exercising is a great way to keep the gloom and anxiety down! I was pretty much a ball of those two for a long time when I got sober. Pushing myself in a work out almost took my mind off of it sometimes.

I have really leveled out now. However, I still feel better when I get a work out in. Just like eating healthy foods gives me more energy. None of us are as young as we were when we started using. We have to accept that we will never feel like we did before.

I was lucky to have it as an outlet when I really needed it. Craving, run until you can't. Crushing boredom while my mind healed, push ups to failure. That was under 10 at first.

It may be a chore to you now but it is well worth it. You're still pretty early in recovery. Give yourself time, you will get better. You are doing great!
Old 12-16-2015, 05:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just have to chime in here, Soberish I could have written your post, lol.
I absolutely have to walk/work-out to feel anywhere near good, and I HATE it. Wish I could like it but I literally force myself to do it. (depression has something to do with that I guess, lack of energy/motivation).

If I don't exercise daily I'm at risk (high risk) of drinking because of the way I feel, and I figure the heck with it, it's already been an unhealthy day so why not!
Ugh, can't get past it, it's crazy.

My best shot at sobriety and feeling somewhat good/normal is daily exercise, unfortunately. I had stopped for a while too so it was a killer getting back to it!
Old 12-16-2015, 05:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 2.5 months and on getting into the gym as well!

I am only into Day 4 but have exercised consistently over the last 5 years. I found the good feeling I get from exercise is different what I had from drinking. Like you, I know I will feel bad if I don't exercise and I did used to sometimes "force" myself to do it (even when drinking - I would use the drink as a reward - a fine way to undo good work). I have never regretted getting my foot in the door of the gym because of the endorphin high afterward.

My personal view is that regular exercise is a must-do for everyone (alcoholic or not, in recovery or not) for optimal physical and mental health and to 99% of people it will feel like a chore to get started.

Perhaps you could set yourself some goals to achieve, e.g. a 10k run, if you're into cardio. There is a great emotional high in crossing a finish line of a distance race you never ever thought you could run!
Old 12-16-2015, 05:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great responses everyone.

It was asked if I work out to the point where it interferes with my life and the answer is no. I'm just curious if my mood is something that needs to be maintained with exercise or if it could possibly be that I'm only 2 and a half months in.

Keep the responses coming
Old 12-16-2015, 05:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

At 2.5 months in I was still a nutjob having massive mood-swings, meltdowns, depression, and even some raging tantrums. I was lifting weights and running too! The good news is all that leveled out eventually, somewhere between six months to one year. I did use exercise to tire myself out and that was really the best effect I reaped from it all -- slightly reduced anxiety levels, good sleep, and a sense of accomplishment. All of it contributed to raising my self-esteem back then. I did kind of push myself too hard at one point by running a race I wasn't entirely conditioned for, and by burning out on the running and lifting along the way.

These days, I'm content to run 3-5 times per week, around three miles or so and I'm done for the day. It's mostly become a meditative exercise for me. I am 32 months sober.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have been working out for about 20 years on a daily basis. While I sometimes miss a day I think I actually work out about 300 days a year. Started when I was in my mid 30s. Been in and out of sobriety during this time period. For me it's very beneficial. I realize that for most people exercise is really good for long term health. It's a lot more than helping me get or keep sober. I suggest you consider it a permanent habit.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have definitely started back with working out - mostly cardio and starting to incorporate weights again. Not drinking I have lost 8 lbs, so I figure might as well try to get in really good shape now.

It definitely helps with my energy and mental edge on staying away from drinking.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

At my age, 57, working out on a regular basis is so important for a healthy life style. I do 3 days or cardio, mostly cycling, and 3 days of weights. I also suffer from depression and I definitely feel better afterwards. And yes, there are days when I have to force myself and the occasional day where I flat out blow it off. But once you get into the habit you just do it. Kind of like going to work every day. If you miss a week though, having to travel or something, it is really hard to get back going again. So I'd suggest you get into that habit and just do it.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Exercise has helped me through 4 years of recovery and I do feel significantly better when I do it on a regular basis but it is also important for me to take breaks for sore muscles and illnesses. I love working out so it's hard for me to take those breaks, tonight I am going to go roller skating- I hate jogging, but I've still found a million other ways to exercise. once I'm 15 minutes in, the endorphins kick in and I imagine myself fighting my depression and pushing the blues away by swinging my arms. When I think of it as a part of my treatment plan it no longer seems like torture. Have you considered changing up the ways you exercise? Maybe a dance class? Kickboxing? Jazzercise? Make it fun and keep it interesting! Oh- and never underestimate youtube. There are so many free workout videos online, fitness blender is helpful too.

* to answer your last question - I can not go an entire month without exercising without the blues coming back. I can go a few days, no problem, but it definitely effects my mood negatively when I don't exercise for long periods of time.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm fortunate that I found a sport that I love to play that provides a great workout for me. I play tennis 3 - 5 times a week for at least 1 1/2 hours each time. Smacking the ball really hard after a stressful day at work is wonderful.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've always worked out and always will. I generally enjoy it although I have the odd day when I'm not in the mood. I've always put daily exercise before almost everything in my life, career etc.

I'm sober just over 100 days and I feel exercise gives me a mental boost for the rest of my day. I try to take at least one day a week off (sometimes don't/can't though) and never exercise when I go on holidays any more.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Walking really helped me recently
Old 12-17-2015, 01:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yes to all of the above comments. I did 2 10K's this year and hope to do a half next. I also do weights. If I don't workout for a few days I tend to get depressed. My only problem is getting enough time as my job runs my life.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi, yes I am a runner.
Unfortunately for me I had some of my best races and pbs whilst still drunk or severly hungover!

But, I looked like crap and felt poisoned for days after. There is no doubt about it, feeling clean and running clean does make things easier and my belly is back to how it was when I was 18, lean and mean! Its great to have a focus and for me running races is mine. My next focus is VLM, I have a championship start so will be at the front. I intend to stay clean and train hard up until April. After April things will get difficult but hoping to continue with sobriety. Keep running buddy, have a goal, then set a new one after that!
Old 12-17-2015, 03:25 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Soberish,

I definitely find it gives me a boost altho its only been the last few days where I have started to feel really good after a workout, (33 days now) first couple of weeks were extremely difficult with little / no energy but pushing myself through.

Cardio isn't really my thing for long - steady state I just find boring but do enjoy HIIT on some cardio machines and get a great boost from it, have a few niggling injuries that I have to be careful with one being a herniated disc which means running, something I enjoyed for a while is a no go and I also need to be careful lifting, especially leg workouts.

Nowadays I'm trying not to over do it, as with anything I do it seems to get to the point of obsession - eating plans etc - trying to relax myself but not the easiest - drive the wife nuts with things - however I've switched my obsession at present to not drinking or doing drugs - glad to say that's working tho !!

Anyway back to training - why not try and swap it about a bit, cardio can become boring and you really don't need to be in there for hours on the treadmill to reap the benefits.

My routine at present which I have adjusted to try to ensure injury free has reverted back to machines mainly rather than free weights but it's working for me - 6 to 10 min warm up on the cross trainer then stretching. Then 3 sets of 10 - 12 reps on various machines - all upper body plus some ab work (leg raises / planks at the end) and then to finish off Tabata on the bike - gruelling but it gives you such a boost - basically warm up for 1 min then 8 sets of 20 secs giving it as much as you physically can and 10 secs rest - 5 mins in total but boy do you know you've done it - head spinning and feeling quite sick if you've done it properly - especially the first couple of times.

There was a documentary on about it a while ago here in the UK regarding the Tabata workouts and that the 5 min is enough daily - doesn't feel like that would be enough for me but you know you've done it.

I then throw in a 1 or 2 days on the recumbent bike doing HIIT but on high levels of resistance to try and work the legs a bit - found I am staying injury free this way and not getting any back problems.

Other thing I was doing recently was a lot of bodyweight work again HIIT but oh does it blast the body fat (along with a good diet) and gives you massive energy boosts.

A really good diet is key too I find - eat 5 -6 meals a day (cut sugars / all processed foods) only proteins and veg (no root or fruit / dairy) for 2 weeks, it's tough but works then re-introduce fruits and other complex carbs slowly over the next few weeks) - Oh and the biggest one no alcohol - but we've got that one covered ;-)

I'm not going as obsessive as usual about it at present but when completely clean and the sugar & rubbish is omitted from the diet the boost is huge and your general wellbeing and feeling is hard to describe how good it is. I definitely do see sugar as a problem for moods and general fatigue - cut it and out and it improves so much - however its also enjoyable and I realise I have to live a little too.

5 weeks prior to my last binge that made me realise its time to stop the drink and drugs this was exactly how strict I was and to be honest I was absolutely flying.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I know exactly what you're saying. I'm not the same without the workout. Maybe that is because I have hosed up my brain so badly that I need that extra endorphin push to feel right. However, I don't feel its a chore. Its just something I need to do now...always. Maybe try working out every other day....establish that pattern and see if your moods stabilize? I do know that when I was sober for a couple of years 'things' started to get easier after about 6 months. Just give yourself some time.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Working out has really helped me along. It moderates my anxiety and depression. Just had a physical or the first time in 10 years and my vitals are better than they were 20 years ago.

I take a week long break every 12 weeks just to rest my body. Also, listen to your body - sometimes it needs a day off.