Notices

Questions for Those in Recovery Who Workout.....

Old 12-17-2015, 05:38 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

I love weight training and walking, but tend to get sidetracked so end up being somewhat inconsistent. Right now I've been hooked on a video game and am noticing the effects of all that sitting.

Went for a long walk the other day and slept so good that night, so I'm actually looking forward to the challenging snow-shovelling I'll be doing today. I expect I'll be getting back into the weights again before too long, just because I like how I feel when I am staying consistent.

I've found that replacing the party/boozing lifestyle with one of fitness and health helps to keep me sober, sleep better and be in a better mood.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:33 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

It's good to read everyone's responses. It seems that everyone is different, some people feel like it is needed to stabalize their mood (like me), and others have just worked out as a staple part of their lives for years. One thing we all seem to have in common is that exercise is beneficial to our moods, which is what I expected.

I guess my biggest worry is how down I can feel when I don't work out. I just think if I felt good without working out then working out would be like that extra icing on the cake. I am only 2 and a half months into it all so maybe with time my mood will become more stable. Time will tell I guess.

I'm off to a run right now.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:03 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

I regularly work out, notice negative mental and physical effects within days if I miss a session, and consider it a primary tool in my recovery efforts. I intend to continue exercising for as long as I am physically able.

I hope everyone is doing well (whether with or without exercise!).

Mel
Old 12-17-2015, 12:18 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Try to keep it brief .

I will be 70 on March next year , I will be 10 years recovered alcoholic through AA .

At 60 yrs of age just off booze quite fit 180 lbs and self employed , near two years off booze I had a breakdown due to extreme and horrific circumstances , within two years I was sectioned 3 times under mental health act and in a'' locked ward in mental institution '' they diagnosed BI-POLAR , for the next near 7 years (still sober ) I was on weight gaining medication to stabilize the two moods .

210 lbs in weight I had to give up smoking due to Emphyesema a lung disease caused by smoking I was using inhaler 5 times daily , last year in October I weighed 250 lbs near 48 inch waist totally listless breathless , dullness due to medication .

I asked myself ''what kind of funeral are you wanting ? '' that's how bad it was . I decided enough ,no more , I made appointment with Head Doctor of Mental Health unit , I met with her and informed her very firmly ''that i was cutting meds down to zero and stopping medication '' she was insistent I was doing wrong thing blah blah etc , I told her I had not had any episodes for 6 years and that I was not prepared to live whatever time I had left on earth feeling and living like I had been for the previous near 8 , I promised that if I felt any adverse effects I would contact them asap .

Today I weigh 188 lbs waist 36 inch , lung capacity 3+ years ago just under 1 on the test , today my lung capacity reads 3.9 (400% increase) no inhalers needed , no cholesterol tablets .

Before I met with doctor thanks to a made up mind ''I had thrown my mind over the problem and knew my body would follow '' and mentally succeeded and achieved my goal ( which is 175 lbs ) . I planned the work and worked the plan

First thing was nutrition , sugar free, low cal , low fat , no processed food , no junk food , plenty of fruit and veg , drink plenty water and portion control , I have porridge for breakfast 7 days a week half slice of toast and cup of tea .

January I dropped 9 lbs started out walking daily (out of breathe ) persisted and bought waterproof clothing to remove any excuses , February was walking 5 miles in 80 minutes , then upped to 7.5 daily 6 days a week weight was coming off slowly 1-2 half lbs some weeks , sometimes I managed 10 miles in 160 mins .

End of May I was 42 inch waist 210 lbs , my knee buckled without warning , my cruciate ligament was damaged actually caused by no warming up and stretching , and cooling down and stretching , I was unaware that I should be doing this , no walking exercise for 8-10 weeks .

Downhearted ,but not for long I went to try swimming (breast stroke only ) lasted 15 mins , again a bit down , checked online and the following morning i started walking through waist high water in the pool , 6 days a week I built up to 100-150 lengths of the 25 meter pool until my leg got stronger and whilst doing this I was getting fitter and losing weight at same time .

I started serious swimming 6 days a week within two weeks over a mile then I added and added and finished up doing 3.5 hours daily every morning 7 am - 10.30 am and I was losing 3lbs every single week without fail burning 3500 calories daily 6 days a week .

8 weeks ago my weight loss ''stopped dead '' 196 lbs ''plateau '' so I started jogging through waist high water and joined the gym , I was extremely fit for my age so I started doing ''body pump classes '' along side gym , getting fitter and fitter I started doing ''core /plank '' and now do 30 minutes each morning 300 knee to elbow twist sit-ups , I do 1000 skips on rope weights for abs , then swim .

Stamina /fitness through the roof , last week gym 6 days doing as above, I did 3 body pump classes , two FT Fit classes + half hour swim each day between 7 am and 9.30 am , I spend 1 hour end of session in steam room /sauna / jacuzzi daily to relax and unwind .

''Fact'' depressive part of brain can be replaced by endorphins through regular determined exercise ,? well I just proved it works .

I have been discharged by Mental Health hospital , they say I am incredible/inspiration etc (grin ) . I feel absolutely fantastic , not one single pain in my body , cant remember last time I had a headache.

Decided that I was doing far too much so I have dropped two FT Fit classes and brought back two 1.5 hr swims .

It has become an enjoyable hobby /way of life , I meet new friends with like minded routines we have laugh and joke and so on , being retired and fortunate to have no joint or heart diabetic problem I have plenty of time to involve myself . What is alternative ? sitting watching crap daytime tv , listening to depressive news and reading bad news stories in newspapers '' No Thanks . Sobriety so rewarding and extremely worthwhile.

Apologies for lengthy post , couldn't make it much shorter really take care .

Stevie sobriety date 12 03 2006 .
'' Words are easy , music is much harder ''.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:21 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stevieg46 View Post
Try to keep it brief .

I will be 70 on March next year , I will be 10 years recovered alcoholic through AA .

At 60 yrs of age just off booze quite fit 180 lbs and self employed , near two years off booze I had a breakdown due to extreme and horrific circumstances , within two years I was sectioned 3 times under mental health act and in a'' locked ward in mental institution '' they diagnosed BI-POLAR , for the next near 7 years (still sober ) I was on weight gaining medication to stabilize the two moods .

210 lbs in weight I had to give up smoking due to Emphyesema a lung disease caused by smoking I was using inhaler 5 times daily , last year in October I weighed 250 lbs near 48 inch waist totally listless breathless , dullness due to medication .

I asked myself ''what kind of funeral are you wanting ? '' that's how bad it was . I decided enough ,no more , I made appointment with Head Doctor of Mental Health unit , I met with her and informed her very firmly ''that i was cutting meds down to zero and stopping medication '' she was insistent I was doing wrong thing blah blah etc , I told her I had not had any episodes for 6 years and that I was not prepared to live whatever time I had left on earth feeling and living like I had been for the previous near 8 , I promised that if I felt any adverse effects I would contact them asap .

Today I weigh 188 lbs waist 36 inch , lung capacity 3+ years ago just under 1 on the test , today my lung capacity reads 3.9 (400% increase) no inhalers needed , no cholesterol tablets .

Before I met with doctor thanks to a made up mind ''I had thrown my mind over the problem and knew my body would follow '' and mentally succeeded and achieved my goal ( which is 175 lbs ) . I planned the work and worked the plan

First thing was nutrition , sugar free, low cal , low fat , no processed food , no junk food , plenty of fruit and veg , drink plenty water and portion control , I have porridge for breakfast 7 days a week half slice of toast and cup of tea .

January I dropped 9 lbs started out walking daily (out of breathe ) persisted and bought waterproof clothing to remove any excuses , February was walking 5 miles in 80 minutes , then upped to 7.5 daily 6 days a week weight was coming off slowly 1-2 half lbs some weeks , sometimes I managed 10 miles in 160 mins .

End of May I was 42 inch waist 210 lbs , my knee buckled without warning , my cruciate ligament was damaged actually caused by no warming up and stretching , and cooling down and stretching , I was unaware that I should be doing this , no walking exercise for 8-10 weeks .

Downhearted ,but not for long I went to try swimming (breast stroke only ) lasted 15 mins , again a bit down , checked online and the following morning i started walking through waist high water in the pool , 6 days a week I built up to 100-150 lengths of the 25 meter pool until my leg got stronger and whilst doing this I was getting fitter and losing weight at same time .

I started serious swimming 6 days a week within two weeks over a mile then I added and added and finished up doing 3.5 hours daily every morning 7 am - 10.30 am and I was losing 3lbs every single week without fail burning 3500 calories daily 6 days a week .

8 weeks ago my weight loss ''stopped dead '' 196 lbs ''plateau '' so I started jogging through waist high water and joined the gym , I was extremely fit for my age so I started doing ''body pump classes '' along side gym , getting fitter and fitter I started doing ''core /plank '' and now do 30 minutes each morning 300 knee to elbow twist sit-ups , I do 1000 skips on rope weights for abs , then swim .

Stamina /fitness through the roof , last week gym 6 days doing as above, I did 3 body pump classes , two FT Fit classes + half hour swim each day between 7 am and 9.30 am , I spend 1 hour end of session in steam room /sauna / jacuzzi daily to relax and unwind .

''Fact'' depressive part of brain can be replaced by endorphins through regular determined exercise ,? well I just proved it works .

I have been discharged by Mental Health hospital , they say I am incredible/inspiration etc (grin ) . I feel absolutely fantastic , not one single pain in my body , cant remember last time I had a headache.

Decided that I was doing far too much so I have dropped two FT Fit classes and brought back two 1.5 hr swims .

It has become an enjoyable hobby /way of life , I meet new friends with like minded routines we have laugh and joke and so on , being retired and fortunate to have no joint or heart diabetic problem I have plenty of time to involve myself . What is alternative ? sitting watching crap daytime tv , listening to depressive news and reading bad news stories in newspapers '' No Thanks . Sobriety so rewarding and extremely worthwhile.

Apologies for lengthy post , couldn't make it much shorter really take care .

Stevie sobriety date 12 03 2006 .
'' Words are easy , music is much harder ''.
Oh my! You sir are an inspiration. This is just amazing. I'm a believer that there is no magic pill to make everything all better. I mean it can probably help but it isnt a fix all solution. The real benefits come from hard work and effort and you are proof of this.

Thank you for this fantatic post. All of these posts combined have been an amazing inspiration to me. I have made the decision to kick up my workout and try to eat better.

Old 12-17-2015, 01:50 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Short answer: yes, I have to be physically active or my mood changes.

Longer Answer:
In my first year, I was the guy deadlifting while scowling and listening to metal, or sprinting down the street at the end of a run... yeah, that was me. It helped me out, a lot.

Later on, I discovered that I loved pushing myself physically in the outdoors (hiking, climbing, and other mountain stuff). Because I don't like sucking at my hobbies, I work out to perform well in those hobbies. As a result of pursuing those hobbies, I've formed new friendships with the community that enjoys those hobbies. They don't spend their weekends in the bar, which is perfect for me.

I'm in the best shape of my life, and my fiance reminds me that she only keeps me around because I'm pretty to look at (glad she thinks so)!

It's a super fun lifestyle! Being the type that's not great at balance, I still have to make sure that I am putting sobriety first in my life.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:37 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I've experienced this as well. If I don't work out in a week I definitely feel off.

On thing that's helped me is to redefine exercise. In Western cultures we seem to think of exercise as work - something we need to do, have to do, should do - which immediately makes it seem like an obligation. So now I define exercise as "having fun while moving my body". This way I feel like it's something I choose to do because I want to, not because I feel I should or have to. And if I'm no longer having fun then I know I need to change it up till I am again.

Love this topic, thanks to all who have posted.
Old 12-18-2015, 12:19 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Totally agree , fitter, healthier , happier and peace of mind , better sleep absolutely a pleasure .

Stevie.
Old 12-18-2015, 12:32 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

For healthy people, it is normal to work out. Nothing new here either - the ancient Romans believed 'mens sana in corpore sano', a sound mind in a sound body.

You can research all the stuff about exercise being beneficial if not essential to healthy brain chemicals, the endorphin response after exercise, that exercise is the primary predictor of avoidance of recurrence of a major depressive episode, the reduction of cortisol and inflammation as a result of regular exercise.

You can worry that you have become addicted every time you hit the gym, strap on the swim goggles or lace up the training shoes.

Or, you can just go and get that exercise your body and mind deserve. Onward!