Notices

No clutter Wee-kender December 11th Part 2

Old 12-15-2015, 03:23 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Well done Petals!Enjoy a hangover free day tomorrow!
Old 12-15-2015, 03:36 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus View Post
HAF, I don't think it's what you "deserve" either. We all deserve to be happy. It just takes some time to figure out what we want and how to get there.

Tetra, keep the faith. You will find what you want eventually. How about the teaching? Are you going to look further into that possibility?
Actually yes, now that I have been given a second chance, I am planning on visiting some schools after Christmas and dropping in my CV to the principal. No harm in putting some feelers out.

I was a good teacher - kind to the children and that and I have references to prove it. No one is going to hand me a job so I have to be more proactive.

I liked teaching, it's just the staffroom I couldn't stand. I visited many schools during my training and I have yet to go to a school where the staffroom wasn't divided into "little groups" and God forbid you sat at the wrong table. There was a time when I was so shy, I used to actually eat my lunch in my classroom, pretending I had too much work to do.

Thank God I am passed that stage now.

I went downstairs to say goodnight to my parents. My dad gave me a hug and said "we are blessed to have you". I am crying now. No way would he say that if I was still drinking my life away.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:12 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

finished watching the holyfield story, then launched into 'best of enemies'. I think it was about at minute 20 when I went to sleep for good. was awakened by phone text - waiting for call that deer is ready to be picked up. not yet....

sorry you're feeling down sao... hang in there, think maybe it was weasel with santa peeing on the letters? maybe he was having an argument. "Is." Is not." "Is." "is not." "Is." "Is not." "IS IS"

Ruby, black pants for glee club dress- check. Toilet paper in case she gets really nervous - check. Milk for cookies - check. I assume someone else is bringing the cookies?

Had a bowl of cabbage. And no there is no wrong way to cook it. There are ways to cook it that it tastes like crap tho. What's wrong with that?

Petals, nice job. A cup of orange juice for you, something for your AV: https://imgur.com/gallery/2eU38im
Old 12-15-2015, 04:26 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Originally Posted by Behan View Post
Evening all,

I hope everyone is well. Just had a quick catch up with posts. I think its normal to have all kinds of feelings exaggerated at this time of year. Socially sanctioned and enforced fun being one of many factors. Lets all take care of ourselves as best we can.

Returned to work today. Yuck. Hell is other people. Well, some people... Most people I work with are lovely. The small minority of bullying selfish narcissistic control freaks make life hell for the rest of us.

On a lighter note, I just read an article about a chap in Limerick, Maine who got into a spot of bother regarding controversial Christmas decorations!!

Take care all,

B
HAHA Mr. B... I would think off white lights would be more effective.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:40 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Actually my uncle told my mom something sad today. Apparently one of my aunts (whose husband passed away two years ago) has put on a lot of weight and they all think she has been drinking heavily. I remember my Grandmother told me privately two years ago that she thought my aunt was a "raging alcoholic". I said I didn't think so at the time.
This year she is going to England to be with her son and his wife. I never met his wife but I heard she is kind of cold. I remember a funny story when they bought their new house, it came with a cooker and a fridge - both in good working order, just needed cleaning. His wife wanted to throw them out and buy new ones. That didn't suit my Gran who loved being economical

It is sad, but not surprising that she has been hitting the bottle. First she lost her husband and now her mom. I knew she liked a drink but I haven't seen her for a while and I didn't think she was this bad. For the last two years she had Christmas dinner with us at Gran's. Now we all have to make new traditions.
I will say a prayer and light a candle for her and all others who are suffering tonight.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:21 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

SP ~

Yah, Craftsman details all the way in the new House. I wanted to go super-authentic, but time prevented that. However we did get all those lovely, super-efficient Windows & Doors from a massive mis-Order. ~$27k worth of Windows/Doors for ~$7,500. I subsequently designed openings around what I'd already bought. I did authentic Corbels, and cut the Roof Truss ends such that the Gutters next down in them. Old School. All 3'-wide Pocket Doors. 6" high Baseboards, with the Electrical Outlets flipped sideways and set low in those. Smooth, Plaster-like Drywall finish throughout. On and on...

Behind the Xmas Tree, and under those Windows, I'm gonna do a very custom Fireplace Surround, and Stone Bench on the Sides. Built-ins. Framed black Cloth under it all to hide my Studio Monitor Speakers. We just ran across some Art Deco Tiles brought back from Scotland that will frame the Gas Fireplace. It will be the real focus of the Great Room. I got a CD with ~1,300 Pix of Arts & Crafts House Details. I'll synthesize those ideas into what we like, and really sweat the details.

So fn windy and cold at the Dog Park, we had to bail. Errands afterwards. Something like 14 F [-10 C] tonight, and 12 F [-11 C] tomorrow night. However, the Snow blew East. Sun sho helps the Mood, as Marty advised up-Thread via Full Spectrum 'Happy Lights'. Love that term!

- Full Spectrum Lights ~ Amazon.co.uk -

The Pooch is choosing the TV Channels tonight. Once a Retriever...

And now, for something completely different...

- 'Frosty The Snowman' ~ Patti Page ~ Rondo Brothers Remix -

Old 12-15-2015, 05:30 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
Behind the Xmas Tree, and under those Windows, I'm gonna do a very custom Fireplace Surround, and Stone Bench on the Sides. Built-ins. Framed black Cloth under it all to hide my Studio Monitor Speakers. We just ran across some Art Deco Tiles brought back from Scotland that will frame the Gas Fireplace. It will be the real focus of the Great Room. I got a CD with ~1,300 Pix of Arts & Crafts House Details. I'll synthesize those ideas into what we like, and really sweat the details.
I would love to see pics of your completed project!

I've got a Pinterest account and I save tons of pics of a few styles I love, Craftsman being one of them.

I'd love to do some kind of mix of a minimalist/modern style with Craftsman details here and there. Not sure exactly how to bring those two together, but they're both what I'm drawn to.

MesaDog looks beautiful in the photo.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:33 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Dessert tonight was two waffles slathered with cream cheese and maple syrup.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:39 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

We synthesized Styles. I'll make this Kitchen Pic the last one for now, cuz I don't want to hog Bandwidth here.

A deep Single Sink in the Island. A deep Double Sink in front of the Window. 2 Sinks rock! Another detail yet to sweat is the Cooktop Back Wall. To be another real Focal Point that wows...

Breakfast Sushi Rolls were Smoked Oysters [Shrimp in the 2nd one]. Wasabi. Pickled Sweet Ginger. Yellow Onion. Jalapeno Jelly. Rice Vinegar. Fresh Orange Slices. Vanilla Yogurt. White Rice...

Old 12-15-2015, 05:40 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

The cabinet doors!!! Nice Love it!

I have my eye on quartz countertops that mimic marble. Looks like marble but without the hassle. White quartz.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:45 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

That is sad, Tetra. I feel sorry for your aunt too. I'd be a complete mess if I lost Mr TS.

Mesa - what is your dog's name? So adorable. I have a strong urge to pat :-)
Old 12-15-2015, 05:50 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tetra View Post
I liked teaching, it's just the staffroom I couldn't stand. I visited many schools during my training and I have yet to go to a school where the staffroom wasn't divided into "little groups" and God forbid you sat at the wrong table. There was a time when I was so shy, I used to actually eat my lunch in my classroom, pretending I had too much work to do.
Sounds a little like high school itself The "little groups" divisions.

I bet there's a group you'll fit into, Tetra. You're an interesting person. I hope you find a position that makes you happy. I believe you will!
Old 12-15-2015, 05:51 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Solve this Riddle for the answer, Tooshabby... 2 Clues:

1. A Chocolate Syrup popular back in the Stone Age.

2. The same word; used in a Seinfeld Episode that George Costanza confided to an old Woman on her Deathbed.

I was in HS Student Government. And, yes, much of that same Guano still goes on in the Teacher Lounge. So sez my now-Retired HS Teacher Wife...
Old 12-15-2015, 05:59 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I know it, Mesa.
Good clues.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:00 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

I've found over time that Youngstas know one answer, Marty. The rest of us [not necessarily implying you, here] know the other answer.-)
Old 12-15-2015, 06:02 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Ha!!!!! Found it!!!!

I love Bosco :-) He(?) is gorgeous!!!
Old 12-15-2015, 06:03 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Mesaman I love your kitchen. The view is beautiful. You aren't getting blasted with snow? I am south of you and we are getting the COLD. Man is it cold.
That's another problem. ..along with being alone for birthday and Christmas, it's freezing cold outside. A.not real warm inside. ..unless you're in front of the pellet stove.
Tetra...your father sounds like such a sweet man.
Soberpotamus. ..I want to get those quartz countertops also. I wonder how much it would cost. Maybe I'll get an estimate just to see. Then I could save up. I don't have a huge kitchen.
Sao...I hope you were able to shake the nasty mood. The walk was a good idea, and maybe something to eat.
I make sauerkraut out of cabbage. Love it.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:10 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Way ta go, TS! He be a 'he'...

3" of Snow here, tops. The Xmas look w/o the hassle of 'too much' Snow. Warming up in a few Days to upper 40s. With the rippin' Sun here at >6,000', that's actually reasonable in a Sweatshirt IF the Wind ain't blowing as it was today.

I gotta wonder if the Celts and Pagans had all the Seasonal BS going on 'back in the Day' around their Xmas that so many of us feel around these Holidays?

We visited this Neolithic Settlement. Imagine LOTS of Family. In very close Quarters with little Sunlight in December. Stinky People in Animal Hides, sans regular Bathing. Weather from the North Sea pounding on ya. Hence, the Structures mostly underground. The Roofs were Animal Hides placed on Trees washed up from Canada. No 'Happy Lights' to order from Amazon...-)

- Skara Brae -
Old 12-15-2015, 06:30 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Actually., I meant granite counters, not quartz.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:38 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Mesa, I actually knew both. I must be somewhere in between youngsta and not so youngsta. Or I just have a brain full of trivia.