Notices

Got fired today - feeling blue

Old 12-14-2015, 11:10 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

That sucks, Calicofish! I'm sorry about your job. I try very hard to view every challenge as an opportunity, and it does help. While it sucks to be fired and especially this close to the holidays, you have an opportunity to find something that suits you better, something that you will like more.

Maybe you need to reach out a bit? I agree, it's easy for your friends and family to forget that you might be lonely. Perhaps you need to give them a call?
Old 12-14-2015, 11:21 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wehav2day View Post
Oooh what Anna said!!

I lost my girlfriend, crashed my car, lost my job, and got a cancer diagnosis (false but took months to figure out) within 6 months of my 30th birthday. I call that the year of the country song... In any case, I couldn't go home for Christmas because of the cancer thing. I had to go straight to a dr. And couldn't leave for home until New Years. So I worked in a soup kitchen on Christmas Day. It was wonderful
! It felt so good to be around people, feel useful, and be able to put a smile on people's faces. I highly recommend it.
That is a rough year. But yeah I volunteer every year at s soup kitchen with my dad. It's always such a great experience.

And look on the bright side, this just frees up more time to look for an even better job now. Almost all companies hire people like crazy in December. Hang in there.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:43 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Calico.. A year from now you can look back and be proud of how you came through this time.
Take care of yourself.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Very sorry to hear that Calico!! Hang in there!!
Old 12-15-2015, 11:53 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm sorry that you lost your job. I lost mine too very recently and getting into the swing of job hunting isn't the most uplifting activity!

That being said, this could be really good for you. You could end up finding a job with more steady work that you enjoy more. I keep thinking that the job I lost clearly wasn't the right one, and that's okay, but we have to stay positive ready for the next one.

Definitely make some plans for Christmas whether it's with friends or like others here have said, some volunteer work. Getting out the house for a few hours will help a lot
Old 12-15-2015, 11:58 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry to hear your news. There's a new year coming. I hope it brings all the good things your way.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:00 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Sorry you lost your job Calicofish especially at this time of the year.

Trying to take some comfort out of the situation - with the occasional shifts and days of no work it doesn't like the ideal job that you are losing so as others have said, perhaps in the long run it will turn out to be a blessing in disguise

The fact that you posted here and are not drinking over it shows real character to me - i'm sure you will find something better
Old 12-15-2015, 12:06 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
I am sorry about this, fish. But keep your chin up! About a year a was kicked out of training for a job for being... Overqualified. Go figure those bosses. Later I found much better jobs. As for Xmas -there will be a lot people on Sr. I spent 3 NY eves here and had a lot fun. You do have a family -all over the world.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:41 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Thank you for all the lovely responses. It has really helped me. I'm still licking my wounds here. I did discover something about myself though. I have a hearing impairment and struggle with understanding people, especially in a noisy environment. I was working in the service industry and well, I guess that kind of disability just doesn't go well with that industry. I do wear hearing aids, but they can only do so much. I was born this way, so never have known anything different, but I was not diagnosed with hearing problems until later in life and used to wonder why I would be in trouble for things.

Sometimes, because I don't comprehend what is being said to me - I can't hear the complete sentence, people think I'm stupid. I'm not stupid. This disability has caused me to suffer anxiety. Anyway - I'll live.

I do get out and I am going to a friends for Christmas. I guess, mostly I'm just embarrassed over not being able to perform the job when I really was trying my best.

Thanks for the support,
CF
Old 12-15-2015, 12:48 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Yes i agree with everyone here, please take care of yourself , i am in a similar situation and am trying to keep myself ok and not fall in to a depression. You are sober!!! you are so strong for that! Sending so much love to you.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:49 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

Aw, Calico, of course you did your best and worked hard to do the job well. You have a hearing impairment and that has nothing to do with not being smart enough to do the job. Now that you know the hearing can be an issue in that type of work, maybe you can search for something that would be an easier environment.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:28 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
saoutchik

You are an awesome person Calico!

Like Anna said, it was clearly nothing to do with you not being smart enough. Hopefully you will find a job in a less noisy environment where it won't be an issue

Sending positive vibes your way