Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Is it ever acceptable to ask someone if they have been drinking here?

Notices

Is it ever acceptable to ask someone if they have been drinking here?

Old 12-15-2015, 07:16 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Sometimes the touch screens on phones, ipads etc autocorrect or you touch the wrong letter, if you don't edit it can look really bad!
If I didn't try to edit I'd look like I was wasted all the time, if someone is typing in a hurry that could be why as well
Xx
Old 12-15-2015, 07:39 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

All I can suggest is to read Bill's story. When YOU know the time the message might get through, please let me know... I'd love to hone my skills. But I don't think it's up to us and, maybe -- anytime is the right time for your experience, strength and hope.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:20 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your interesting and frank points of view guys. I found this thread to be a really interesting read.

I am going off track here but it reminds me of when I was in counselling a year or so a go. I was in a bad way, a dark place but I was lucky enough to have found the most amazing psy. We had a number of "agreements" in place that I was supposed to respect in order to get the most out of my sessions. After a month the Dr added a new one "I will make an effort to get dressed before my appointments and refrain from turning up in my pyjamas". For a while I simply pulled my clothes on over the top of my pyjamas. He knew. And I knew he knew. But he never called me out on it. He just gave me the time it took for me to want to get dressed in the mornings! I guess sometimes we just have to figure things out on our own!!
Old 12-15-2015, 01:34 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I suppose it must happen that people come on here inebriated. It just seems utterly pointless to pretend that you are x days sober as well. That's vastly different from someone who came on, had been drinking, and was genuinely asking for help. I've only come on here in my early stages of sobriety, or after a relapse, asking for advice. When I've been drinking in the past, I've headed straight for fb, and embarrassed myself there.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:57 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'd hate to think due to the difference in timezones and as a result of tiredness, my grammar would be called into question!!

Seriously though, probably no harm in mentioning something, but then again, everyone can come and go here on SR, and we take everyone at face value.

We don't get to drive the car, we only get to give directions, whether it's followed or not, that's up to the driver!!