SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   weight loss stories? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/380831-weight-loss-stories.html)

JoeCree 12-12-2015 06:33 PM

weight loss stories?

I'm on week 3. Have not changed my eating or exercise, and have already lost 6 lbs for an average of 2 lbs/week!

Unexpected good news :)

On the flipside, that means i was consuming ~7000 calories/week of alcoholic beverages at the end there.. SMH, *cringeworthy.

secretchord 12-12-2015 06:50 PM

I've lost 5 pounds in 45 days

bigsombrero 12-12-2015 07:28 PM

The weight will come off. I lost between 20-30lbs and have kept it off for 3 years. Just stay focused on the not drinking, and your weight loss will be the least of your achievements!

greens 12-12-2015 07:36 PM

When I got sober I started exercising daily and changed my eating habits. Lost a ton of weight, didn't really keep track. My weight still fluctuates at times but I think that's pretty normal. It's much easier to take care of myself when I'm not drinking.

Delta088 12-12-2015 08:00 PM

I'm at day 5 and I'm hoping *not* to lose weight. Started working out again and bought some protein/amino/vitamins. Praying to gain!

FLCamper 12-12-2015 08:46 PM

Whether you gain or lose weight - you're bound to be healthier.

MelindaFlowers 12-12-2015 09:17 PM

Was consuming about 10,000 cal a week in alcohol so when I stop drinking yes I did lose about 30 pounds without even trying .

hpdw 12-13-2015 12:15 AM

losing weight is a challenge for me ATM but i'm not stressing over it .

I have one or two good days on juice and no carbs then I binge on junk.

After the festive season however besides being sober losing weight is my main priority .

Soberwolf 12-13-2015 01:43 AM

Congrats

dcg 12-13-2015 02:13 AM

I gained 30 pounds the first 2 months and then lost 30 pounds the next 2 months.

ubntubnt 12-13-2015 02:18 AM

I was drinking between 12 and 15,000 cals a week not to mention the unhealthy eating habits of skipping breakfast and lunch and then binging on junk when drunk. 2 weeks in, 3 meals a day, 2KG down. Another 5 or 6KG to go to reach my ideal weight but I reckon that will happen pretty much automatically as long as I stay off the booze.

abraxas69 12-13-2015 03:14 AM

3 weeks sober and no weight loss for me :(

Long term goal is to lose 40-50 pounds, thought it would be easy considering (as others have posted) I was drinking at least 7,000 calories a week (probably more like 10,000). But since stopping drinking my eating has gone a bit crazy, although it always does this time of year.

What has been a surprise is that I don't normally have a sweet tooth - I don't do desserts, don;t normally eat biscuits, cakes, chocolate etc etc... I think I've eaten more chocolate and ice cream in the past 3 weeks than I have in the past 10 years!

Not stressing about it at the moment - sobriety and staying off the cigarettes (which I have up 6 weeks ago) is my immediate priority but going to have to tackle it head on once the holiday season is over.

ubntubnt 12-13-2015 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by abraxas69 (Post 5687259)
3 weeks sober and no weight loss for me :(

Long term goal is to lose 40-50 pounds, thought it would be easy considering (as others have posted) I was drinking at least 7,000 calories a week (probably more like 10,000). But since stopping drinking my eating has gone a bit crazy, although it always does this time of year.

What has been a surprise is that I don't normally have a sweet tooth - I don't do desserts, don;t normally eat biscuits, cakes, chocolate etc etc... I think I've eaten more chocolate and ice cream in the past 3 weeks than I have in the past 10 years!

Not stressing about it at the moment - sobriety and staying off the cigarettes (which I have up 6 weeks ago) is my immediate priority but going to have to tackle it head on once the holiday season is over.

Yeah, those sugar craving can be something else. When I dropped the booze this time last year I experienced the same. Packets of biscuits in the middle of the night etc. Just stick with it and they will level off soon enough.....

Soonerman 12-13-2015 03:36 AM

on day 14..yeah! down 2.2 pounds..1 kilo.... feel great

RushTogether 12-13-2015 03:40 AM

I have actually gained 50+ pounds...I replaced drinking with eating.

I'm working on getting my weight going the other direction, and with some success.

IronPhoenix 12-13-2015 03:55 AM

At 3 weeks and I have lost 8 lbs so far.

hpdw 12-13-2015 06:58 AM

Cant do it all at once abrax , your doing great being sober and off the cigs,

Rush : you and me both . There seems to be no filling this guy lol .

PurpleKnight 12-13-2015 11:58 AM

Fantastic Joe!! :You_Rock_

nomis 01-17-2016 06:11 AM

For MOST people, weight loss is like everything else in life that one wants. It takes hard work and determination. Getting sober allowed me the opportunity to lose weight. Make no mistake though, it didn't come off just by magic while I sat on the sofa.

Instead of being hungover, feeling like death warmed over, stuffing my face with crap food, I'm able to feel alive now. I've replaced the bad habits (mostly) with good ones, and now eat healthier, jog regularly and meditate when I can.

The weight didn't come off quickly, but it did steadily. The result was about 23kg over the course of two years.

zjw 01-17-2016 06:26 AM

I only lost about 15lbs initially i was 275lbs the day i quit drinking. But i wasnt trying to loose weight i was just trying to stay sober. but my weight loss effort halted at 15lbs i dont get why i mean i was consuming like 20k calories in beer a week on top of stuffing my face with garbage food you'd think it woulda fallen off NOPE.

6 months in mainly to see if i could help reclaim my sanity i started excercising for the heck of it i quit smoking and changed my diet too figure why not. that was in feb of 2012 at about 260lbs by october I was 150lbs.

quiting drinking helped give me the will power to take care of other issues. I dont think i coulda done it if i had not quit drinking first.