SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   It Doesn't Take Long (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/380737-doesnt-take-long.html)

earlyriser 12-11-2015 03:40 AM

It Doesn't Take Long

Only five days sober so far, and in spite of making it this far (and beyond) before - I am always amazed at how quickly I feel like a new person. I am sitting here early this morning pretty sure I fractured my heel yesterday, and I am so damn grateful I'm not hungover, and that I didn't bring this upon myself with some drunken idiocy. Just waiting for office hours at doc or urgent care to hopefully get a course of action.

But the most amazing thing about my sober self is I am not feeling sorry for myself, and not getting all freaked out about how I will get things done for the holidays and at work. Part of this is because of lessons I managed to retain from my previous sober periods, but a large part is because I have the gift of 5 extra hours every day that I am not drinking and 3 that I'm not hungover. So if I have to walk slowly on crutches, or stay off my feet awhile during the day, I should still have plenty of time to figure out how to get everything done.

trachemys 12-11-2015 03:44 AM

I think you are going to excel.

Soberwolf 12-11-2015 03:46 AM

You are awesome, I'm sorry about your heel I think that's a job for the hospital x esp if it is broken x

Big congrats on day 5

red3215 12-11-2015 11:25 AM

It does feel better to be sober. Kind of makes you wonder why we self sabotage with alcohol, huh?

Incontrol15 12-11-2015 11:58 AM

I here ya. It's amazing the amount of time in a day was devoted to alcohol.

I was an all day drinker, so I was literally either drunk or suffering from a hangover in the form of panic attacks or high anxiety.

That was my choice for the day. Either be completely freaked out, or drunk.

So much time wasted making sure I had liquor available. So much time wasted sneaking drinks, making drinks, hiding bottles, disposing old bottles secretly, masking my breath....so much time wasted.

I sure am glad that's all over with.

Congrats to you for stringing 5 days together. Ride that train man. Stay on for the whole ride. Even greater things lie ahead of you!

Lennox 12-11-2015 12:04 PM

I am with ya here :-) - on day 9 and feeling brilliant. Have no idea where this energy has come from and I am strangely in a good mood all day,everyday. I'm actually feeling a bit worried if I am soon to become in a depressive state but going with it!

Great post! Happy Friday

Anna 12-11-2015 12:11 PM

You have a good attitude earlyriser and I think it will definitely help you.

I hope you get good news about your heel and don't have a painful recovery.

PurpleKnight 12-11-2015 02:28 PM

Day 5 is fantastic Earlyriser, Sobriety definitely keeps on giving!! :You_Rock_