Notices

Quit in anonymity, secularly, and digitally?

Old 12-11-2015, 06:05 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Andante View Post
digital, secular, and anonymous?

That's basically how I've done it. Seems to have been working for me for... huh, I just checked on one of those sobriety calculator thingies, and it's 999 days! I'll have to make a "1,000 days" post tomorrow.

The point I'd like to make, however, is that in my experience, setting limits on what you're willing to do to get sober (especially bolded, underlined, italicized, non-negotiable limits) rarely works out well. For me, it was essential that I approach the challenge with a completely open mind. I had to admit that my old ways of thinking weren't working so well anymore, and I had to be willing to adopt totally new ones. That meant giving consideration to approaches that took me out of my mental comfort zone.

It took me 7-1/2 years from the point I decided I really had to sober up until I actually did it. I spent most of that time dabbling on the edges of recovery but never really committing myself because I was wasting my energy trying to fashion the perfect personalized program that didn't challenge my fears or offend my rational sensibilities.

Like the author Richard Bach said, "if you argue for your limitations, sure enough they're yours."

Welcome to the posting side of SR, and best of luck on your journey!
Congrats on your 1k days! That's incredible. You raise a terribly valid point: I must remain flexible as I move into recovery (although that's almost a logical fallacy in itself, haha). When I argued for secularism, it's due to how deeply averse I am to theistic religion in all areas of my life. I can't see it being contributory to my healing. Yet you're entirely correct: more important than this is to keep my mind open and explore all possibilities—because obviously what I have going right now is not working. Thanks for the reminder

Originally Posted by littlefish View Post
I remember a time when I did not want any kind of group dynamic in recovery. If you don't feel ready for that, have you looked for an addictions therapist?

I have used lots of different methods and I had an addictions therapist for almost three years. However by that time I had also started using AA.

There are lots and lots of options for recovery. You have set some conditions for recovery, thats okay, but please don't let those conditions prevent you from finding help! Good luck!
That's a brilliant suggestion, and one that hadn't occurred to me. I'm going to look into it today. There's something about a one-on-one interaction that feels better suited to me. I'm not saying it will always be that way, but I believe, right now, that to make it to the summit I need the most inviting slope.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:09 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome to the posting side!

I have done it here, anonymously, secularly and digitally. I made a plan and work it. It's totally up to you as long and you commit and do it.

You will find all sorts of opinions here and that one of the best things about this place, you will always find support. Build a plan, work it and get involved.

So nice to meet you.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:22 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Welcome Amy. Good to have you on the posting side.

I've just used SR for the past years plus self improvement resources as necessary.

Glad to hear you are open minded and flexible. It will serve you well.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:33 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Amy!

I understand where you're coming from. In my book, the most important thing is commitment. Drawing a line in the sand and declaring that alcohol is no longer a part of your life.

It's not always easy. There are great resources here on SR.

There are monthly "classes" for those embarking upon sobriety at the same time. I joined mine and it remains an important part of my recovery.

Class of December
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...15-pt-2-a.html

The Weekenders thread is terrific. It is a mixture of newbies and folks who've amassed long-term sobriety. It's great to have some veterans to help along the way and the content is fun!

Weekenders Thread
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...er-11th-8.html