Notices

First aa meeting in about 15 years

Old 12-10-2015, 04:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First aa meeting in about 15 years

after much procrastination, and suggestions from my therapist, i actually bit the bullet and went to a meeting. I'm not trying to sell anyone on aa by any means but i must say the people at the meeting were very welcoming and friendly, in the 5 or 10 minutes i stayed after the meeting at least 5 people came up to me and introduced themselves and encouraged me to come back, I'm not really used to people that i never met before being friendly to me, even as i walked out the door a group of people were there asking me if i was coming back and where do i live, It was nice, I've never been a fan before and must have been going to the wrong meetings or i behaved in a way that wasn't good, but i do feel good now. 6 weeks into sobriety and not really feeling like drinking. I guess one good reason i don't drink and use is that i have a probation officer and if she catches me drinking i go to jail, do not pass go. this is my forth time dui and i'll lose everything if i get caught. What worries me is in three years when probation is over, how can i stay sober once there's no one stopping me. thanks, have a nice night. Dan
Old 12-10-2015, 04:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

sounds great - good for you Dan

D
Old 12-10-2015, 06:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Glad you're making some positive changes and posting - I find the program of AA to be helpful and cherish the fellowship. SR is like a second home to me today.

Don't concern yourself about 3 years from now. You'll be a different person when you get to that point..........

keep coming back!
Old 12-10-2015, 11:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey Dan ,
worrying about what will happen in 3 years time , thats a long way off , why not focus on getting through the next few weeks and months .

Keep on

m
Old 12-10-2015, 11:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good stuff Dan
Old 12-11-2015, 01:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great stuff Dan!!
Old 12-11-2015, 02:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's great Dan. The welcoming of AA has been really good for me, even when I've relapsed, I've kept going.

Three years is some time away; we change every moment and everyday so you don't need to worry about that now. You're doing well :-)
Old 12-11-2015, 02:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Excellent to hear Dan!!! Good to see you.

After my last DUI I had the blower in the car. Kept me honest for that time period. I had a lot of anxiety about it coming out. But I managed. It jump started my sober engine again and allowed me the strength to stay sober.

Like Mecanix said... Worrying about what will happen in three years makes little sense as a way to spend your time. Living sober for those three years does.

Congrats on 6 weeks. Keep posting about how you are doing.

Ken
Old 12-11-2015, 03:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, it's funny, i woke up thinking the same thing, they say one day at a time but i've been thinking about three years away, it's not bad to think about but i need to work on my real day to day problems first, one of them being my use of geographical fixes every time i make a fool out of myself, i can't afford to mess up this aa meeting, one being that i don't drive anymore and there's not that many meetings close by and more importantly i need to learn to relate to people better (the root of my alcoholism) . I do have an interlock device on my truck and since i don't drive, it kills the batteries in about ten days, solution, a solar battery charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter keeps them charged. Have a great sober weekend, Thanks!
Old 12-11-2015, 05:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

You have a great sober weekend, too!!
Old 12-11-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The fellowship of AA, when you find the right group, can be awesome.

I wouldn't worry about 3 years from now, in AA we take things in 24 hour increments.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Dan - good to hear.
I'm just starting to warm up to AA. My therapist wanted me to go.- for years. Finally she asked if I could just go and park outside the meeting. I was able to do that.
Now I've made it into meeting though I haven't gotten to the point of sharing or getting a sponsor. The sponsor thing especially has me spooked.
But I have to admit one thing - the meetings make me feel better. I'm heading into some really tough times and when I'm down just going to a meeting and listening makes me feel better.
So congrats to you for getting in there and feeling better.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Good goin' Dan. Hopefully others will follow your lead
Old 12-12-2015, 11:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

ClearLight,
Good for you, that's a big step going to that first meeting, it was a big nervous thing for me years ago when i first went and always made me nervous back then, still kind of does. I too fear the whole sponsor thing, I have a good therapist for god's sake, if that's not guidance what is but he wants me to be totally involved in aa and i'm sure he knows better than i. My experience the other day was that the people at the meeting genuinely cared about me and want me to come back, if i could i would go with you to a meeting. I think it would be good for you to just say something at the meeting, anything like how long you've been drinking and how long you've been sober, anything to break the ice. The big thing for me is that i have social anxiety (like a lot of alcoholics) so the plan i have with my therapist is for me to keep going to the one meeting that went to the other day and then go to a different meeting once a week to get out of my comfort zone and grow socially, good luck to you and keep feeling better.

Day Trader, hey good to see you here, it's been a while

Dan
Old 12-12-2015, 12:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

A sponsor guides us through the steps, Dan. I work with my sponsor on working the steps in my life, not on making decisions (not necessarily, but I do run things by them).

Great to see you again!!