Notices

Holiday season - UGH!

Old 12-09-2015, 05:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Holiday season - UGH!

This time of the year can be beautiful, OR it can bring out the worst in people! I work in the benefits department of a small company, and the owners really try to make it a Merry Christmas for the employees. They give nice bonuses, Holiday lunches, generous time off...etc.
Unfortunately the more they try to do, the less grateful some employees get.....
I witnessed people on their worst, greediest behavior this week.

Instead of being happy, they were upset because they thought someone else got MORE than they did. UGH.

As I Ieft work yesterday, I actually shed a tear or two, being that disgusted with my fellow workers.
And it came to mind that in the past, a strong drink or TEN would come in handy.

Instead, I did a vigorous yoga workout for 40 minutes, and felt so much better....

The point is, anticipate disappointment, hurt, anger and other unpleasant emotions over the Holiday season. Have something in your toolbox to get you through. Exercise works for me....but I am also going to the local comic book store and buy a pile of vintage MAD magazines so I have something in stock to cheer me up!
Old 12-09-2015, 06:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What a great way to plan ahead!

Yoga always does wonders for me too-although the way I practice could hardly be described as vigorous.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sadly, the Holiday season seems to bring out the worst in some people.

It's so good that you see the positive things your employer is doing for you and that you feel gratitude!
Old 12-09-2015, 06:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A co-worker used to bring in a MAD book. It really got us laughing. Comedy is a great stress reliever.

I agree, the holidays make people quite difficult sometimes, and cause a lot of stress. I enjoy them more now that I don't participate in Christmas gift exchanges anymore.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi all.. this company does nothing.. with Ed's Pop being so sick.. Holidays are put aside for us. have the tree in the living room but that is it.. need to do my cards here at work today to get them out. and then plan for the next few days to run to hospital feed family that come and sit for hours and hours.. drinks food veg and fruit... they don't realize it just now but this is the time we need to hold dear for Charlie will not be with his for long.. my Dear Army Plane Jumper.. that silly man that would get me to drink red stripe with him and sing the Roll out the Barrel song..
Holidays.. I always do something for the security at our front desk when all the staff we work for goes to have holiday party... and with the noises that my company is making .. I for see no job by Feb... enjoy what you have for so much is going to disappear soon. prayers ardy.. plan for the spring and garden.. my joy for 2016
Old 12-09-2015, 07:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Here's a useful link

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...val-guide.html
Old 12-09-2015, 07:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Toolbox

Hi Newpage

I completely understand where you are coming from. I worked as an administrator for 15 years and had to manage staff members, and they can misbehave worst than children!

Anyway I'm beginning my recovery AGAIN and this time I feel that I have a better sense of direction, urgency and sincerity. Your post has inspired me to write a list of items in my toolbox so that when I'm feeling down, weak, or angry I can refer to that list and choose a tool to get me through the tough time. Hopefully after some time I won't need the list and can automatically go to a resource and resolve my negative feelings. My coping skills have always been terrible so this will help.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Old 12-09-2015, 03:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Keep pushing through Newpage!!

It can be a tough time of the year, but like everything else if we keep focused we'll make it!!
Old 12-09-2015, 03:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Sadly, the Holiday season seems to bring out the worst in some people.

It's so good that you see the positive things your employer is doing for you and that you feel gratitude!
I think I am more grateful than others because I was out of a job during the recession for a while. I scrambled to string together part time jobs to make ends meet, and I did do that...but I worked my butt off!!!
And I found out that not everyone gets paid Holidays, and the day after, Christmas bonuses & Thanksgiving turkeys! That was a "wake up" for me.....Some people have to work Holidays and if they don't they don't get PAID!!!

There is a whole world out there getting a whole lot less than what many of us grow accustomed to.....and we need to learn to appreciate it, because POOF it could be gone tomorrow!!!!!