Notices

Very recently stopped drinking, question

Old 12-08-2015, 05:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Very recently stopped drinking, question

Greetings. I am new here as of this evening. I had been sober for 10 years and, two summers ago, went to a wedding with a friend. It just happened. It was in a small backyard and I felt every time I turned around I was 6 inches in front of one of the two bars. Plus, my buddy was well on his way to a good-time alcohol high. As all drunks know, my drinking problem came back with a vengeance. Since then, I have been drinking 3-4 very hefty vodka screwdrivers every night beginning at 5:00 sharp. When I worked and knew I would be working a bit after five, I would have the drink ready in the car. 5 o'clock was like an alarm buzzing. About a year ago, starting at about 1 o'clock in the afternoon every day, I would become extremely nauseated pretty much to the point of debilitation on a daily basis. I had stopped working around this time and, for the past year, have been unable to accomplish my day-to-day routines. Even food shopping is impossible during the day. But, as can be expected, I dragged myself to make my 5 o'clock cocktail. This is where I have the question. Invariably, after the first 2-3 swallows, the nausea disappeared. Also, I drank my last drink on 12/5 and as of 12/6 I have had the debilitating nausea and still cannot function. In fact, I have been unable to get out of bed. I would like to know if anyone has experienced this and what it is a symptom of and why booze fixes it. Also, since I'm off booze now, is it just now a withdrawal symptom that will dissipate? Was my body so used to booze that even the very next day I was in withdrawal til 5 o'clock rolled around? I am NOT seeking medical advice. Obviously, I can't live like this and will have to see my Dr. very soon. I simply wanted to know if anyone has experienced this and has categorized it as a symptom of withdrawal. I hope this is an okay question, as it is my first post. If you can share your insight, thank you!
Old 12-08-2015, 05:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have no experience with this, but I am glad you are here and wanting to quit again. Alcohol ruins to many lives. Welcome to SR. You will find lots of support here.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I do have some experience with this tzukeeper, but I think it is important to go to a doctor if you can in early recovery. We are all different, and it's best to get checked out, and have some medical help with the withdrawal process.

It definitely got better for me ~ it took some time though.

Sending you love.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
now's the time

Yes, I was like that, too. I was always nauseated except when drinking. I don't know why that is, I am pretty sure it has to do with the withdrawal process and maybe just the numbing effect. But I was diagnosed with alcoholic gastritis (a severely eroded stomach lining) and for me it progressed to vomiting bile almost every day, and eventually vomiting blood on three different occasions.

I started being able to eat normally about a week into sobriety, felt a lot better after a month, and now at 5 months my stomach is still more sensitive than it used to be but I'm feeling mostly normal. I'm hoping to have a follow up appointment in January.

Great job stopping again!
Old 12-08-2015, 05:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.
Honestly I think everybody experiences different withdrawals.
Very large vodka screwdrivers was my downfall as well.
I was sick to my stomach all the time I drank.
I went days without sleep.

Don't be afraid, check in with your doctor,asap.
Glad you are here.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you, fantail. You have very much enlightened me.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi tzukeeper - glad to meet you. (I grew up in our tiny state. )

I had been drinking for 30 yrs when I stopped. The first few weeks were filled with numerous ailments of all sorts. I definitely had the nausea too. I never saw my doctor about it - but after a couple weeks it disappeared completely, never to return. So I don't know what it was. It's good to be free.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know towards the end of my vodka career I was ill everyday until I had my first couple although not vomiting. When I detoxed I was very sick for the first week even with meds. Took me several weeks to feel what I could call normal.
Medical help is a good idea. Keep at it . It'll get better with time.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I experience this too... On my days off I would go on a spree. Drinking till I passed out, then drinking more and passing-out again, repeating for 2-3 days straight...

That hangover felt as is I was dying and lasted for a full day or 2. Worst feeling ever, but it eventually goes away. I think everyone recovers differently.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I just assumed it was the physical manifestion of my addiction and my body's growing dependence on alcohol to function.

It's not a great place to be tzukeeper.

Do you plan to see a Dr?

D
Old 12-08-2015, 08:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Dee74, I will give it a tad longer, based on others' responses to my post saying it will pass. It sounds like my body is begging for me to give it a rest from the constant poison I was guzzling.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Best to see a Dr bud were all diffrent & chances of recovery with regular Dr apts is increased

One of the best things I done was having a Dr involved

Nice to meet you Tzu
Old 12-09-2015, 10:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi tzukeeper, I've experienced the same thing. But it was a little bit in reverse. When I knew I was going to have a drink or 4 I would experience the nausea and gag reflex in the first couple sips. Then I could go to bed on Saturday night very intoxicated and Sunday morning, knowing I won't drink again until Friday, the nausea and gag reflex was gone...completely. I narrowed it down that it was completely psychological. I think subconsciously I knew I wasn't a normal drinker and when I took those first couple sips, my body physically tried to reject it. Just sharing my experience.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and I hope you begin to feel better.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Nausea is a common symptom of alcohol withdrawal. Alcohol irritates the lining of your stomach, but the effect of alcohol on your brain counteracts the feeling. When your blood alcohol content drops, the stomach irritation is still there and you feel nauseated. See a doctor and make sure you don't have an ulcer.

Also, if you are alcoholic, chances are you can handle (and often reach) a blood alcohol content that could kill normal drinkers by shutting down the central nervous system. At these levels of intoxication, alcohol acts as an effective anesthetic.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well done for stopping drinking

Although I don't recall those particular symptoms, I think it took a good 2 weeks to ease my initial discomforts enough to feel more functional and I know I saw my doc at some point during those early days of the final time I stopped.

Keep on keeping on

Driving my wagon of hope through beautiful views on my road to myself
Old 12-09-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome,

I went through similar to this except mine was Anxiety and Panic. I would have that the entire day until I got my first drink at 4:15 exactly.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Tzukeeper!!