Notices

Hoping I don't get triggered

Old 12-07-2015, 12:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hoping I don't get triggered

I'm gonna have something possibly triggering in a few hours. It always was before. I really don't think I'll want to drink right after a DUI a few days ago, but I never know how this alcoholic brain will flip around any minute.

I'll have to plead guilty in court but I want the lightest sentence possible so plan to tell the judge honestly that I haven't touched any alcohol since my incident, even Nyquil, and have been actively involved in AA.

I just got back from my first AA meeting in this area. I have issues with the program but gonna follow it best I can and make some sober friends there. It was a great meeting and made me feel like there is hope again. I was EXTREMELY depressed and hopeless about my DUI in a way that was getting scary.
It was actually called DWI but the very term makes me sick right now.

Hoping for a little more support from the board. You've all been great to me. Thankyou
Old 12-07-2015, 12:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hello redlady...good job on being proactive in the upcoming court time, it could certainly be a trying affair to deal with. Of course drinking will not help anything, so stick around here or do whatever you need to do to keep from doing that. Meeting new people definitely helps, did you get any phone numbers to call while you were at the meeting? If not get some next time..it's always nice to have someone to talk to personally when the going gets rough.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad to hear you're taking action and I hope that what you're doing will help things go as well as possible.

Can you avoid the potentially triggering issue?
Old 12-07-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

I second both Anna & Scott's posts
Old 12-07-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by redladyslipper View Post
I'll have to plead guilty in court but I want the lightest sentence possible so plan to tell the judge honestly that I haven't touched any alcohol since my incident, even Nyquil, and have been actively involved in AA.
Did a lawyer tell you to plead guilty? There may be other options.

Keep a written record of the AA meetings you attend. Most meeting secretaries will sign an attendance slip.

You'll survive this, and will do better sober than drunk.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
totfit

While this I am sure is a huge personal stress for you, a DWI is pretty cut and dried in the courts. Without extenuating circumstances, accident, etc. (even with an accident) a DWI is just a "cookie cutter" offense. Everyone gets a minimum and they get pushed through the courts. If you have an attorney, there may be other options available. Either way, this is already happened, it will not "destroy your life", so it should not be the prime concern for you at the moment. Try and start looking at the great things you can do and how life will be better now that this has prompted you to take alcohol out of the equation. Look at this incident as possibly the best thing that could have ever happened to you as it has prompted you to take a look at life through a clear, sober perspective. Considering all of the things that could possibly happen from drinking, you are in great shape. None of those other things will ever have to happen.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You're definitely not alone in this redladyslipper!! SR is in your corner!!
Old 12-07-2015, 04:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Do you have a plan in place in case you get triggered? If you don't have one yet, I'd highly recommend having a plan in place of how you're going to deal with it to make sure you don't drink.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some good advice here

The thing about triggers is we can learn different responses to them - that's really what the nuts and bolts of sobriety is about.

I have confidence you'll be able to use your recent experiences as a tool in developing a different response if you find yourself triggered

Like Strategery says, this is a great time to knock up a little bit of a plan - just so you feel secure, prepared and confident.

D