Notices

Alcoholism and depression

Old 12-07-2015, 02:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholism and depression

Hi, just wondering about something and not sure if it has been addressed before, I am sure it probably has many times.

I am struck by the number of times that I see and read about people dropping the booze and then quite quickly saying they feel there is also an underlying depression that also needs to be addressed and probably medicated.

Now, I realize that when anyone with an addiction stops drinking they will experience all sorts of reactions, highs, lows, cravings etc. I am sure all of us at some point have felt low and sulky during our early days after quitting. I am sure in some cases what may feel like depressions is actually not, rather it is just part of the whole trauma of weaning oneself off the drug. Furthermore, to medicate to combat depression at this time may harm rather than help.

Are there any guidelines out there in terms of how to tell one from the other and best practices that would help someone who has just quit know when to medicate for depression and when to ride out the emotions and give the benefits of a sober life time to kick in?
Old 12-07-2015, 02:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was depressed before I ever picked up a joint or a drink and I found it hit me again in my last years as an active addict, so the was no ambiguity of diagnosis for me.

I did find recovery, and the personal growth involved, helped me a great deal with my depression tho

If you've never been depressed before and you find yourself depressed in early recovery...providing the depression isn't endangering you, I think it makes sense to give things a little time to settle down.

D
Old 12-07-2015, 02:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
G-Woman

Just speaking from my own experience, I was already on anti-depressants while still drinking. But of course, the meds weren't very effective when interacting with alcohol. But it's become a bit of a chicken or egg scenario - am I depressed and anxious because I drink, or do I drink to relieve depression and anxiety?

Either way, I feel it's pretty common for one's mood to be all over the place in early days of sobriety. As for telling the difference in terms of the cause - that's probably something you should talk to your doctor about.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

I was depressed before I started drinking the drink was my clown face
Old 12-07-2015, 03:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was seriously depressed well before I started drinking and have always suspected that my drinking started to blot out the depression.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You may find this article interesting, there are some stats from studies mentioned. But yes depressed people often drink and drinking makes it worse.

http://www.m.webmd.com/depression/gu...nd-depresssion

Sorry this is a mobile link.