Notices

Fear no more Weekender Dec 4 Pt 2

Old 12-05-2015, 07:57 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday, Finn's Daddy

Melina, Congratulations!

Originally Posted by Melina

Hi you guys!

I got offered the job I interviewed for today. A lot more money and way broader scope of operations- executive chef of three locations and getting them ready to franchise.

Like whoa. For reals.

This wouldn't have happened if I were still drinking.

I'M GONNA GO FOR IT!!!
This is so well said I had to bring it along from the last thread, too:

These are the miracles that happen bc I stopped drinking. Instead of drinking and living in jealousy about others who were offered the jobs I thought I clearly deserved for no reason and through no effort of my own. I simply cleaned up my act and it shows through my behavior and very clear gaze and mostly thoughtfully chosen words. It's almost like I'm a big girl now lol. Lots of work to still do on myself but at least I'm not manically tap dancing while the house is on fire, trying with all my effort to look together and successful.

I'm just me now, and I work hard and I'm quieter and I love it
I love being in the present moment and being able to react appropriately to (most) situations. The line about tap dancing manically was so true.

Anyway, IN!
Old 12-05-2015, 07:59 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

These are the miracles that happen bc I stopped drinking. Instead of drinking and living in jealousy about others who were offered the jobs I thought I clearly deserved for no reason and through no effort of my own. I simply cleaned up my act and it shows through my behavior and very clear gaze and mostly thoughtfully chosen words. It's almost like I'm a big girl now lol. Lots of work to still do on myself but at least I'm not manically tap dancing while the house is on fire, trying with all my effort to look together and successful.

I'm just me now, and I work hard and I'm quieter and I love it
I really love this, Melina!!
Old 12-05-2015, 08:00 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Excellent purchase, MidnightBlue! It's important to treat yourself with things that make you happy.

"Only do that which is good for you" (c) biminiblue (did I get it right?)

I may print it out as well and will make sure to teach it my children... Ask yourself "Is it good for me?"...
Old 12-05-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Behan Da Man ~

Happy B Day. So many great Memes out there. So few I can post here. Get some Sleep already...

- 'Happy Birthday' ~ Jimi Hendrix - 2:11 -

Old 12-05-2015, 08:07 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Yes, melki, that's what I wrote on my sticky note.

I have an ever-rotating sticky note decorating scheme. One in each room - I don't have a thousand of them...I really try to fill my head with positive thoughts to cover whatever situation I happen to be facing at any given moment.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:13 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

toruk review post - long ramble

congrats on the new coat midnightblue - I guess I'm too late to advise you put on some clothes before the delivery guy shows up...

well, my disdain for the internet is once again...

I searched AND searched for reviews of the latest cirque du soleil show - but nothing.
I wanted to see if I'm the only one who thought it was nothing more than a whimsical foray into adapting something to 'their' style. But I suppose they've tried something like this before.

I think shows like this will be the beginning of their demise.

Think of going to a Rolling Stones concert and they play nothing but Monkees tunes. Okay, not exactly.

Noone I was with 'understood' what was going on. Wasn't there supposed to be a 'story' to this? Did anyone follow it? What was the point of all of this, anyone know? um, no, no and no.

The set took up about 3/4 of a hockey rink with the end being a sort of mountain structure that became whatever was projected onto it.
The entire set was a neutral light gray reflective screen. Everything was a projected image - everything except the 'actors' and a few props.
The imagery was fantastic - very well done. The score was pretty good and synched to the visuals. Sitting up high gave a much better perspective of the entire 'set'. Except that when the 'actors' climbed or ascended they were below my vantage point when on the 'center' stage. When climbing the 'mountain' and battling falling rocks etc. on the back it was neat. Choreography was done okay. There was a lot going on in a big space. The main characters had little dialogue and it was a made up ancient language with a few chorus chants and yelling. There was a narrator speaking english when you you hear and understand it. First 'act' lasted about 45 minutes then a 20+ minute intermission to reset the 'stage'. Then a shorter second half. I was nodding off as were my companions - I found out on the way home I was not the only one being put to sleep.
The story... yes, the story... they could have named it a "bunch of people running around in animal like costumes on a very cool CGI set with loud music" I wasn't the only one wondering what the purpose of the six legged horses was. I guess they needed something to keep the attention of the younger audience members. A few 'kite like' props and the "big" raptor like prehistoric flying bird thing they paraded around a couple times. Oh, the story line. Not sure. But I found out they were handing out a card so you could download the ******* app to follow along with the story on your ******* iphone. Are you ******* kidding me?

Overall, I would go see it just to experience the set - a blank screen completely projected. Running water, waves a volcano eruption etc. That was the 'star' of the show. But see it from the cheap seats. It was almost a disney like effect when the ground started shaking, I grabbed onto the arm rest it was that real. It was like a 3D imax experience I suppose - from a distance. And there is a 'story line' to follow sort of. Just use your imagination to figure out what's going on.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:14 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I loved Melina's posts too! You have a great way with words. I noticed "manically tap dancing while the house is on fire" also, so well said. My current job is possible only because of complete sobriety. I have pulled off other jobs while drinking, but this one would not be possible if I weren't fully lucid and present.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:17 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

My gripe with Cirque is the characters they throw in who have nothing to do with the "story." I can't remember which show in Vegas it is that has a grown-ass man (a big guy, too) dressed in a diaper who randomly comes on and off stage and interacts with the audience. I had front row seats too. Lame.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:18 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
congrats on the new coat midnightblue - I guess I'm too late to advise you put on some clothes before the delivery guy shows up...
Old 12-05-2015, 08:18 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday Mr B
Old 12-05-2015, 08:20 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

MNB - I was a cable guy in southern california, I have stories...
Old 12-05-2015, 08:22 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
My gripe with Cirque is the characters they throw in who have nothing to do with the "story." I can't remember which show in Vegas it is that has a grown-ass man (a big guy, too) dressed in a diaper who randomly comes on and off stage and interacts with the audience. I had front row seats too. Lame.
I think that was 'zumanity' - It was the burlesque type show they put on - the one with hot chicks swimming around in a champagne glass?
Old 12-05-2015, 08:38 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
I think that was 'zumanity' - It was the burlesque type show they put on - the one with hot chicks swimming around in a champagne glass?
Yeah, you would think it's Zumanity, right? I mean there "could" be a sexual overtone to a man in a diaper, but it was at the other end of the strip...not the NYNY end, maybe at Treasure Island? LMGTFY -

"Mystere." Lame. Don't waste your money.

Nothing remotely burlesque-y.

The Sirens for free at Treasure Island are much more entertaining.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:42 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Thank you Melina.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:08 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
I am an absolute coffee girl. But there is only so much coffee one can drink a day. And I need something to accompany my relaxation-"me" moments which I really enjoy, not just because of healthy benefits. I like old good black tea, but it always calls for something to go with it - since I kicked the sugar out, it always nuts and dried fruit (I am crazy about dates) , and I can be just carried away with all this "nuts thing".

So, long story short. For those who enjoy tea - which do you prefer, how you enjoy it, etc. Oh, sorry to be so picky about possible advice - but artificially flavored teas are kind of ...not my fav thing)))

Thanks in advance!
I like black tea, too. Chamomile is my go to tea, I have that at bedtime or when I'm sick or stressed.

Earl Grey is another delicious favorite, I don't know if the bergamot in all them is natural or artificial.

Side note, have you ever had a Dirty Earl? It's an Earl Grey latte with a shot of espresso. So good!

And chai makes me happy, too. Black tea with black pepper, cardamom, ginger, cloves and I forget what else in hot milk. I think it would be easy to find an artificial tasting version which would be gross, but also easy to find one that just has the basics in it.

I've had a Dirty Chai before, too, but I think I like chai as it is with lots of black pepper and ginger.

Speaking of which, I like to boil finely chopped fresh ginger in water and drink that. It's supposed to be really good for you. I love the spice to it, it can get really spicy as it boils/steeps. That's a good one to freeze in ice cube trays to throw in soups or smoothies you make. Honey is good in there but I'm happy to drink it on its own.

I'm having some very strong coffee this morning and it is gooooood. I agree with you on not being able to drink it all day. After 7 pm I have a ginger beer if I'm at work and then lots of water.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:11 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Pet peeve.... I hate PDA's of any kind. If you can't dismount long enough to place a fast food order then there is something mentally wrong with you.

Ok.... Carry on...
Old 12-05-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I think I'm going to go to Roller Derby this afternoon. I have wanted to go since forever. Flat track.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:23 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I suppose it could be argued that I didn't know what the Hello the story was in "Mystere" - these characters look like. . .um. Well, you can make your own jokes -

I couldn't find diaper guy.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:52 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Happy Sunday morning.

It's Xmas party time and I'm through the worst of it. Was Hit by a huge FOMO wave; but all good now. Nothing like watching people drunk to put you right off.

I'll be clear of parties by end of this week and then off on holidays until mid Jan. New Zealand shuts down from mid dec to about end of January from a work point of view as its summer holidays.
We have work life balanced nailed down here.

I have lived in northern hemisphere and do not miss the cold dark days of January. I'm much happier to collect the sea shells and have a house covered in sand.

Keep rocking the sober vibe folks.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Good day/evening all!!

Thank you for all the lovely Birthday Wishes. You guys are simply amazeballs.

Mrs B got me a first edition American print of a Seamus Heaney book, signed by the author, from a bookshop in Mexico!!

AT TOOMEBRIDGE

Where the flat water
Came pouring over the weir out of Lough Neagh
As if it had reached an edge of the flat earth
And fallen shining to the continuous
Present of the Bann.
Where the checkpoint used to be.
Where the rebel boy was hanged in ’98.
Where negative ions in the open air
Are poetry to me. As once before
The slime and silver of the fattened eel.