Notices

Hopeful. Excited. Scared.

Old 12-09-2015, 11:40 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Do your best

Way to go on a week sober bud your awesome !!
Old 12-09-2015, 11:49 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hopeful:
It's better tp throw out all the alcohol in the house and keep it out until you get well along in recovery. There's always a risk that if you wake up in the middle of the night from a dream that you will take a drink. Same thing for a panic attack. See a doctor and get a non renewable small prescription for these moments. As you go along the dreams will get less disturbing. I still have some after 27 years but have lost all cravings for drink. My doctor helps. If you get a prescription make sure with your doctor that there is a limited supply and he/she keeps you from becoming addicted. Also limit your association with those who drink and try to associate with other recovering alcoholics, through AA or otherwise. And do keep posting on SoberRecovery! Good luck

W.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:10 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks, wpainterw. I did actually throw out all the alcohol on day 4 or so, on advice from all the great responders to my initial post. I knew I needed to, but was letting the alcoholic brain try to convince me otherwise.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:26 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your week atxjoshua

D
Old 12-09-2015, 05:53 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by atxjoshua View Post
Thanks, wpainterw. I did actually throw out all the alcohol on day 4 or so, on advice from all the great responders to my initial post. I knew I needed to, but was letting the alcoholic brain try to convince me otherwise.
Glad to hear it. Another tip. Beware of the Pink Cloud, which has also been called the "Flight into Recovery" (maybe a reference to Icarus, who flew too close to the sun, which melted his wings made of wax). In this early period of recovery your body has not had sufficient time to readjust its metabolism, neurology, physiology, etc. to an alcohol free situation and your AV stirs up trouble by figuring out rationalizations to bring the alcohol back, like "Just one drink wouldn't hurt!" "You were just drinking too much. Now you can learn moderation!" "You really deserve one drink to celebrate and reward yourself on all your progress!" etc. The Pink Cloud. I've heard that one of the most treacherous parts of climbing Mt. Everest is the icefall at the very beginning, filled with hidden crevasses.

W.