Notices

AA: Is it a source of religion for you?

Old 12-04-2015, 04:33 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fantail View Post
If you like the idea of face-to-face, try a lot of different meetings. And think about location, because that'll change the groups you get. I go to meetings in the same neighborhoods where you can buy bulk granola and local art; those are less religious than the ones I tried this summer in a rural area.
+1 for sure. Around where I live there are a lot of Catholics so the Lord's Prayer is prominent. 20 miles down the road they had a group conscience and got rid of it from the closing. OTOH in that one sometimes they have made the meeting topic about one's higher power; discussing it etc, which has never come up in in my local meetings.. go figure.

So definitely look around for meetings that fit better. Suggest looking to the meeting size too; sometimes a big meeting is a better fit than a smaller, or the reverse.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:35 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I live near our capital, but it's still a decent drive... thing is, there are meetings in 3-4 small communities near me, so I have options. Monday night in another town, a member told me there are a couple younger women my age, so I might identify more... it's on Monday, so I'm going to hang in over the weekend and try that one out I was never saying I was offended by the mention of religion, on the contrary...I was raised Anglican, but grew out of it. I just wondered if there might be other options, which some of you have now told me, there is. Still, the face-to-face some of you mentioned is what I think will really benefit me - the interaction and exchange with people who understand, when so many people in my life don't...that's what I really look for, and it helps.
Thanks guys!
Old 12-04-2015, 06:01 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

I was brought up going to church but never had any sense or understanding of how faith could work for me in my life.

It wasn't until I was in AA that I found I was able to gradually develop a belief and a faith in a Higher Power of my own understanding that actually could help me.

I in no way consider myself religious. All AA did for me was open the door to an exploration of my own spirituality. That has led me on a fascinating journey to develop my own beliefs which are continually growing and evolving and have given me a very much improved quality of life today.

I guess I have some sort of a gift that's allowed me to interpret what AA has to offer in a way that is most helpful to me.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:29 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I struggle with that aspect. I believe in the possibility of a higher power. That may seem far fetched to some. Studies proove that people that pray fell better and have a better outlook. If the higher power is on little nob in my brain pushing move foward vs self destruction then i still hope thst part my brain does the right thing. Maybe i have a higher power inside me(i am the higher power) and praying or acknowledge it helps me do the right thing. I am sure many disagree that thats ok. Whatver keeps us sober and moving in the right direction.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:00 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

When I was exploring approaches to help with my decision to quit drinking I found these forums very quickly, and read through all the sections until I found the approach that resonated the most with my beliefs and personality. Which in my case was AVRT, and I spent a lot of time on the Secular Recovery section here. There were aspects of the AA approach as a whole, not just the spiritual/religious question, that didn't really resonate as much for me, but I would never knock AA as it has clearly helped millions of people to get sober.

It has been very interesting, though, to read all these different ways people have used AA, and adapted what reads on the surface at least as a very religious approach, to fit with their own widely ranging beliefs. Really good to see that.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:09 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I don't really have much to add as everyone who has already posted has covered all the topics I can think of. But I hope one more word of encouragement helps a little.

I am fortunate enough to be in a geographic area that has a lot of AA meetings to choose from so I found a group that works for me. While they include the Lord's Prayer at the end of the meetings they don't seem to be real pushy about the religion aspect of the program.

Funny thing is that I am Catholic and I am fine with the Lords Prayer at church. But when it's said at an AA meeting I do sometimes feel a little uncomfortable about it. Not for me but what about those who are not Christians? But in the end AA has more benefits for me than any downsides.

I do hope you find a recovery program that works for you with or without AA.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:18 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Here's the way I look at The Lord's Prayer...

Some days I say it right along with them all. I was raised Lutheran and certainly have said it many times in my life.

Some days, I say it - but modify it with my own words, quietly so as not to disturb or offend.

Some days, I simply stand and hold hands with the circle... and let the core intention of the prayer be enough - which to me is simply putting out intent to manifest positive outcomes. When I don't get hung up on the words, I recognize that what's really happening is a group of people who all want to live happy, healthy, joyfully and free of addiction are standing together expressing their intent and their hope for themselves and one another.

At one time, I used to bristle at The Lord's Prayer. But when I dissociated it and those words from the connection with religion and religious people and doctrine and bibles and just looked at it for the simple act of affirmation and hope that it is at the end of an AA meeting, I softened.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:55 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

You might also like WFS here is a link: Women for Sobriety, Inc.

You can check and see if they have any meetings in your area.
Old 12-05-2015, 12:16 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Very interesting reading on this thread I think every angle has been covered on God and spirituality ,higher power .

I know I cant do this on my own I have to know there are powers greater than me whether I attend AA meeting rooms or not .

I do happen to be Christian but not a huge church goer .

I am more open to the idea of meditation and a knowing that the universe with respond if I reach out and ask for help .
Old 12-05-2015, 12:20 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Very interesting and fair minded discussion .

Stevie
Old 12-05-2015, 08:20 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
AA is not a source of religion for me.
nor do i think AA itself is "religious".
i'm neither agnostic, nor theist nor atheist nor religious.
you've had a few recommendations to read the chapter "we agnostics", and i'll just say i found that chapter worse than useless for myself. the effect it had on me was to make the program seem more "religious" than it otherwise would.

praying? yeah, i pray. what i mean by that is that i know i need help for stuff, and guidance. praying can be a whole bunch of different things. such as sitting quietly until you discern the right course. listening for "the quiet small voice within". seeking to hear your conscience. tapping into "universal goodness".
there are as many ways of praying as there are people.

don't sweat it. if you're seeing people there who seem to have what you want, stick around.
This was so well said. God and prayer could be about religion; and God and prayer could be about spirituality. I can have the spirituality without religion. Just because God and prayer are part of my recovery program, does not make it a program of religion. "God" can be anything you want it to be. It doesn't have to be "God" of religion. It can be "source", "universe", etc.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:28 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by schnappi99 View Post
+1 for sure. Around where I live there are a lot of Catholics so the Lord's Prayer is prominent.
It's been my experience that just because the Lord's Prayer is said, does not mean it's because there are a lot of Catholics. Someone who shared AA history with me said that The Lord's Prayer was said from the very beginning of AA. I'm not Catholic but I learned it, and then choose to say it as part of my spiritual program of recovery, because it was this fellowship and the program that helped me get well.

I've also known people who choose to participate in the circle, but not say the prayer.

I think it's just a nice way to end a meeting.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:41 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AAPJ View Post
While they include the Lord's Prayer at the end of the meetings they don't seem to be real pushy about the religion aspect of the program.

Funny thing is that I am Catholic and I am fine with the Lords Prayer at church. But when it's said at an AA meeting I do sometimes feel a little uncomfortable about it. Not for me but what about those who are not Christians? But in the end AA has more benefits for me than any downsides.
The non-Christians are not usually offended by the Lords Prayer because it is said as part of their spiritual program of recovery, and not as a religious prayer.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:12 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Well said Fini , agree with everything you say ,take care .

Regards .

Stevie
Old 12-05-2015, 12:37 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Some meetings say take what you can use and leave the rest.

Been to other meetings that say get on your knees and pray or god will put you there.
Everyone is different in their beliefs and opinions. No sense in getting huffy puffy. To each their own. No debating in new comers. Let it be bro.
Old 12-05-2015, 01:45 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Stevieg46 - your post was awesome. Just wanted to thank you.
Old 12-05-2015, 01:50 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
The hoop you have to jump through is a lot wider than you think!

AA is not a religion at all. It's spiritual only.
Old 12-05-2015, 01:55 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
The hoop you have to jump through is a lot wider than you think!

Step three says a God of your own understanding because it's not a religion you can call God whatever you want as long as it's not you.

If you're more interested there's a 12 step recovery forum
Old 12-05-2015, 01:56 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Live in Peace , I laugh at that ''American '' term ''awesome '' we rarely hear it used in the UK think it was the Osmond's on TV that used the word a lot , funny enough a female gym instructor had us all shouting it out last week at a body pump class , we all had a laugh at each other putting on american accents and shouting out Awesome ha ha , take care friend .

Regards .

Stevie .
Old 12-05-2015, 02:04 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd like to thank those members who've shared their experiences.

Opinions on someone else's beliefs, or what you think they should or should not believe, are not experience.

I've removed some posts.

I've sent some PMs, but PM me back if you need clarification.

Dee
SR

Last edited by Dee74; 12-05-2015 at 02:20 PM.