SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   hello (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/380215-hello.html)

Highwind 12-02-2015 12:51 AM

hello

I've been drinking and blacking out every night for a long time now. It's sad really as i got a 10 month old baby and a nice wife yet I'm locked up in my little bubble letting it all pass me by.

I electrocuted myself trying to fix a light last night while really drunk and thinking I could work around the live wires. Made me think this morning I'll probably die in one way or another if I don't stop.

Dee74 12-02-2015 12:57 AM

That's pretty scary Highwind - I'm glad you're ok :)
Detox can be a rough ride too - if you've been a nightly drinker for a long time maybe seeing a Dr could be the way to go? Your call but it's got to be better to be safe.

you'll find a ton of support here - welcome :)

D

Highwind 12-02-2015 01:03 AM

Yeah pretty scary.....think I should be ok, I've stopped 4 or 5 times over the last few years but only ever manage about 30 days. Never had any bad physical withdrawal just the usual sweaty anxiety and broken sleep.

I been reading this morning that electric shock can just stop your heart....bang....my kid got no daddy and my mrs a widow at 30. Makes me feel like a bit of a looser.

Dee74 12-02-2015 01:04 AM

You didn't die and you found SR and you're committing to change... doesn't sound like a loser to me :)

D

kzaug2014 12-02-2015 01:12 AM

Hi Highwind, welcome!
We've all done idiotic things in the midst of our addiction. Don't be too hard on yourself.
The important thing is that you reached out. The next move is to address your drinking & start to move forward in recovery.

(( Hugs ))

MythOfSisyphus 12-02-2015 01:48 AM

Welcome to SR, Highwind! I'm glad you joined us here.

Soberwolf 12-02-2015 02:05 AM

Nice to meet you Highwind

Opivotal 12-02-2015 05:54 AM

Welcome Highwind! :)

IronPhoenix 12-02-2015 06:38 AM

Welcome Highwind. Saddle up and lets do this!

jryan19982 12-02-2015 09:40 AM

take it from me, who has young kids. You will NEVER get this time back with them. When they are newborns everything they do is awesome. And I cant remember most of it because I was drunk. I wish I could remember more about those times, but I cant. Sure I can look at pics... but damn I wish it were different. Dont make the same mistake I did. Cherish these times because kids are only newborns once.

PurpleKnight 12-03-2015 02:53 AM

Welcome to the Forum Highwind!! :wave:

RedAndy 12-03-2015 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by jryan19982 (Post 5670884)
take it from me, who has young kids. You will NEVER get this time back with them. When they are newborns everything they do is awesome. And I cant remember most of it because I was drunk. I wish I could remember more about those times, but I cant. Sure I can look at pics... but damn I wish it were different. Dont make the same mistake I did. Cherish these times because kids are only newborns once.

^^ This ^^

My biggest regret through years of being wasted at least every weekend was the early years of my daughters life, at the time I was out every weekend following my team (soccer) all over the country & Europe. It's always said that the time with them as children goes so quick and when you spend half of it on a different planet too then it really does.

Your first Christmas too - those are some of the greatest memories you can have - make sure you can remember them.

My daughter is 12 now and whilst I can't change the past I know I can be a much better father from here on in and give her someone to look up to instead of feeling embarrassed at the state of me.

Highwind 12-03-2015 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by RedAndy (Post 5671952)
^^ This ^^

My biggest regret through years of being wasted at least every weekend was the early years of my daughters life, at the time I was out every weekend following my team (soccer) all over the country & Europe. It's always said that the time with them as children goes so quick and when you spend half of it on a different planet too then it really does.

Your first Christmas too - those are some of the greatest memories you can have - make sure you can remember them.

My daughter is 12 now and whilst I can't change the past I know I can be a much better father from here on in and give her someone to look up to instead of feeling embarrassed at the state of me.

Yeah you're dead right, I was reading over the section "adult children of alcoholics", I'd sure hate for my little boy to think of me that way in 20 years time. Made me really sad to read how people messed up their kids childhoods with the bad choices they made.

At least your daughter is young enough that she will forget most of the mistakes you made now that you've turned the corner.

melki 12-03-2015 03:11 AM

I'm glad you stopped and are here. What a wonderful present for yourself and the family for the holidays.

Make no mistake about it - moderation is not an option anymore. Now it's only forward with every new sober day.

RedAndy 12-03-2015 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Highwind (Post 5671960)
Yeah you're dead right, I was reading over the section "adult children of alcoholics", I'd sure hate for my little boy to think of me that way in 20 years time. Made me really sad to read how people messed up their kids childhoods with the bad choices they made.

At least your daughter is young enough that she will forget most of the mistakes you made now that you've turned the corner.

Cheers Highwind - you've got the chance to make it good from the off with your son, good luck with it.