Notices

Two Years Eve

Old 11-30-2015, 08:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Two Years Eve

I had my last drink, so far, on December 1, 2013. I wasn't going to post a thread but I just read a thread that FreeOwl posted "it feels awful, hopeless, the end of the world." That's how I felt when I first attempted to quit drinking. I just wanted to say hang in there. You can do it.

My first attempt at quitting was in October 2012 when I did inpatient rehab. I couldn't stop on my own and I needed medical detox. Best decision I ever had forced on me. I was between a rock and a hard place.

One thing I learned is that rehab will help you get sober but to stay sober, you have to make recovery your priority every day. And I didn't do that so I ultimately relapsed. But after staying out there drinking for about 4 months I gave it another go. This time around I
joined SR. I started reaching out here and in real life, every day. I attend AA meetings and have friends in recovery to whom I can reach out when I need support or just to say hello.

It hasn't been easy. None of it is easy. It does get better. I had to power through some pretty rough times when all I wanted to do was drink to drown out pain and anger. But I didn't drink. Drinking was off the table.

Things I have learned along the way?
1. There is nothing out there worth drinking over. Since I got sober this time my husband has relapsed and I have been weathering that. My Dad has had staggering health issues for the past year and is having major surgery tomorrow. I could drink because I feel sorry for myself but would that help my dad? He's got the issues and he's not drinking over it.

2. HALT really does work. If I'm having a craving or an urge, am I Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired? Take care of those four and most of the time the urge goes away.

3. Have I reached out to anyone today? Here or in real life. Alcoholic or not. We all need support. Alcoholics tend to isolate. If I start curling up into a ball of self, I'm more likely to be selfish and to start drinking. I have to reach out.

4. Ice cream really does cure cravings. Or goes a long way towards curbing cravings.

I did this with a whole lot of help and support, one day at a time. Have hope and faith that you can do it. Reach out early and often. Don't give up. Took me the better part of 10 years to figure it out and I'm still learning. Thank you everyone for all the immeasurable support you've given me.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done! !!
Old 11-30-2015, 08:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Happy two year anniversary, Ruby! You rock!!!
Old 11-30-2015, 08:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for sharing Ruby - congratulations!

D
Old 11-30-2015, 08:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks for posting it Ruby
congrats on 2 years
Old 11-30-2015, 08:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Bravo, Ruby. You are terrific . I appreciate your words of wisdom and your unyielding support for us all. Two years is amazing. You are an inspiration to us all, steady and consistent. Thank you Ruby, and congratulations.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You're not too far behind Brain! Thank you.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Bravo Ruby! Well done on Two Years! You, my friend, are an inspiration and I am honored to know you.
Xoxo
Old 11-30-2015, 08:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats to you! Thanks for sharing those thoughts - I can certainly relate.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Everyone on here is an inspiration to me. We're reaching out when at our most vulnerable. That takes strength and courage.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on two years sober!! Thank you for sharing your story and your hope.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Ruby! I am happy for you and proud of you.

Thanks for being a friend to our community ... and a friend to me. I look forward to the third year on this path with you.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
Things I have learned along the way?
1. There is nothing out there worth drinking over. Since I got sober this time my husband has relapsed and I have been weathering that. My Dad has had staggering health issues for the past year and is having major surgery tomorrow. I could drink because I feel sorry for myself but would that help my dad? He's got the issues and he's not drinking over it.

2. HALT really does work. If I'm having a craving or an urge, am I Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired? Take care of those four and most of the time the urge goes away.

3. Have I reached out to anyone today? Here or in real life. Alcoholic or not. We all need support. Alcoholics tend to isolate. If I start curling up into a ball of self, I'm more likely to be selfish and to start drinking. I have to reach out.

4. Ice cream really does cure cravings. Or goes a long way towards curbing cravings.

I did this with a whole lot of help and support, one day at a time. Have hope and faith that you can do it. Reach out early and often. Don't give up. Took me the better part of 10 years to figure it out and I'm still learning. Thank you everyone for all the immeasurable support you've given me.
This is all really fantastic, Ruby2. Thanks for sharing your wisdom! And congrats on 2 years!!

Delfin
Old 11-30-2015, 08:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well done on two years!! Thank you for the thoughtful post.
I am grateful to call you friend.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

It has been already 2 years? Time truly flies by.
I really want to congratulate you on your anniversary.
You truly are a double winner and proof that we can achieve and maintain sobriety whether our loved ones are still drinking or not.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Two whole years Carlotta! Thank you so much for your support along the way. It helped me immeasurably to focus on my own recovery and not that of my husband. ultimately, I had to learn to do it for me.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
... "it feels awful, hopeless, the end of the world." That's how I felt when I first attempted to quit drinking...
Yes - that's how I remember it as well. Little did I realise what a wonderful beginning it was.

Thanks for your share - and congrats on 2 years xxx
Old 11-30-2015, 10:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Ruby, congratulations, that's wonderful !! I'm sorry for the challenges you have right now, but so inspired at your sobriety in the midst it.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Ruby you have a lot of ES&H to share , thank you for doing so .

2 years of taking life one day at a time, what a glorious way to live.

I'm glad to be alongside in the fight , it has been great to witness your journey , thank you ,

Keep on

m
Old 11-30-2015, 11:13 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Do your best

#Ruby's Awesome !!