Notices

Class of December 2015

Old 12-08-2015, 02:28 AM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Hi Snow,

I'm on anti-depressants too and the last time I got sober for a relatively long period of time, I'm sure they started working better! I'm on day two now so I don't expect to wake up feeling wonderful yet!

With the panic response, I have anxiety attacks and one thing that seems to help me a lot, is to get on my yoga mat and stretch out. Last night I spent 10 minutes stretching and sweating with anxiety and it did help. I think it's because it helps to focus on the breath.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:31 AM
  # 382 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Yogini1603 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this website and looking forward to getting to know you all.

I'm on day two of sobriety and feeling really tired and rough, but I know it can only get better :-)
Welcome Yogini, I'm on day 3 and feel pretty rough still, as you said it can only get better. Remember alcohol is only in your system for 72 hours, another day and your body will be clean from it.....the rest of it is all mental.

Congrats on 5 years free from drugs (i just read your thread in the newcomers section).
Old 12-08-2015, 02:40 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Hi Snow,

I'm on anti-depressants too and the last time I got sober for a relatively long period of time, I'm sure they started working better! I'm on day two now so I don't expect to wake up feeling wonderful yet!

With the panic response, I have anxiety attacks and one thing that seems to help me a lot, is to get on my yoga mat and stretch out. Last night I spent 10 minutes stretching and sweating with anxiety and it did help. I think it's because it helps to focus on the breath.
Thanks Yogini, and welcome! Sorry you're feeling rough still - those first couple of days are so so horrible - but you're right, you'll be feeling much better soon. Focus on that. When you start to feel physically better, you suddenly get this surge of gratitude and relief (at least I do).

Funnily enough, it was yoga that helped me through my last period of sobriety Three massively triggering things happened during that time, and I trained myself to instantly hit play on my yoga DVD and roll out my mat. I'd usually follow it up with a lovely hot bath. During the fog of drinking though, that mental training just evaporates and I go back to hitting the bottle whenever something bad happens (or doesn't...). Thank you for reminding me of how good yoga felt. I want to start it up again, there's just something holding me back - this last period of drinking has taken a toll on my physical fitness and I'm worried that if I can't do it as well as before, I'll feel defeated. Stupid I know. Ok, I'm going to really make an effort and do some yoga today
Old 12-08-2015, 02:51 AM
  # 384 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Yogini

D
Old 12-08-2015, 02:54 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Hi High,

Congratulations on day three! It's funny, I was saying to my husband that today is my second day free from alcohol and he was excited, as was I, but it seems weird that it's such a big achievement. Ah, the wonders of addiction(!)
Old 12-08-2015, 02:56 AM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by snowbunting View Post
Thanks Yogini, and welcome! Sorry you're feeling rough still - those first couple of days are so so horrible - but you're right, you'll be feeling much better soon. Focus on that. When you start to feel physically better, you suddenly get this surge of gratitude and relief (at least I do).

Funnily enough, it was yoga that helped me through my last period of sobriety Three massively triggering things happened during that time, and I trained myself to instantly hit play on my yoga DVD and roll out my mat. I'd usually follow it up with a lovely hot bath. During the fog of drinking though, that mental training just evaporates and I go back to hitting the bottle whenever something bad happens (or doesn't...). Thank you for reminding me of how good yoga felt. I want to start it up again, there's just something holding me back - this last period of drinking has taken a toll on my physical fitness and I'm worried that if I can't do it as well as before, I'll feel defeated. Stupid I know. Ok, I'm going to really make an effort and do some yoga today
Oh my gosh, I completely understand. I was away from yoga for well over two months whilst I relapsed because I reached for the bottle instead of any other coping mechanism. I've been looking round my flat today and it's such a massive mess because I've been in the drunken fog for so long :-(

We'll strike a deal - you get back on the mat today and I'll do the same!
Old 12-08-2015, 03:08 AM
  # 387 (permalink)  

It's a deal Yogini!

I totally relate about the mess. I let everything go when I'm drinking - the kitchen becomes a tip, work papers, books, and clothes and bric-a-brac make themselves at home all over the floor, we start to run out of clean socks as I give up on doing laundry... It's so obvious when I'm in drinking mode, because domestic life just sort of unspools at my feet.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:12 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  

It's a deal Yogini!

I totally relate about the mess. I let everything go when I'm drinking - the kitchen becomes a tip, work papers, books, and clothes and bric-a-brac make themselves at home all over the floor, we start to run out of clean socks as I give up on doing laundry... It's so obvious when I'm in drinking mode, because domestic life just sort of unspools at my feet.
The socks! Oh man, the socks. My partner bought 5 pairs yesterday because we didn't have any clean :-( The house definitely becomes a reflection of my mind - a total mess.
Will all be done by the end of today though, I'm determined and it'll keep me distracted.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:22 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  

Yes! You go for it! I've done four loads of laundry so far in my five days of sobriety, as well as cleaned the kitchen and living room, changed the bed, and erected and decorated our Christmas tree. None of which would have been remotely thinkable when drinking. Not forgetting the very satisfying purge of empties from the house - two boxes of accumulated glass bottles, gone. Phew! There's also the small matter of not eating the same unhealthy carb-laden dinner every night because drunk me can't be bothered to make nice food.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:45 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Yes! You go for it! I've done four loads of laundry so far in my five days of sobriety, as well as cleaned the kitchen and living room, changed the bed, and erected and decorated our Christmas tree. None of which would have been remotely thinkable when drinking. Not forgetting the very satisfying purge of empties from the house - two boxes of accumulated glass bottles, gone. Phew! There's also the small matter of not eating the same unhealthy carb-laden dinner every night because drunk me can't be bothered to make nice food.
You've accomplished so much! So far this morning I've cleaned the kitchen, the cooker and started putting stuff anyway. I moved quite recently and a lot of things have never found a home. I like cleaning but my goodness, do I hate tidying!

Have you got a photo of your Christmas tree?
Old 12-08-2015, 04:04 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  

Just popping in to say hi, haven't been around for a few days. Bought myself an xbox one with the money I've saved from not drinking and smoking, so been keeping busy with that! Whilst playing video games might not seem the best way to spend one's time, I've found it very helpful! The number of times in the past I've tried to play games and simply wasn't capable, or would have to replay them the next time around because I didn't remember the experience...

And continuing on from that theme, it astounds me how much of my life I've wasted through alcohol. And by that I mean all the forgotten moments. Kind of obvious, but what is the point of living a moment if you don't remember it!?

16 days sober for me; early days but feeling positive and happier than I have been for years!
Old 12-08-2015, 04:15 AM
  # 392 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Highwind View Post
Day 3 for me and feeling optimistic......going to find my first meeting tonight, what I was doing before hasn't ever worked so I'm going to put myself right out of my comfort zone and try something new.
Sounds like a great idea, group support can work wonders
Old 12-08-2015, 04:20 AM
  # 393 (permalink)  

Dear oh dear, I had not being experiencing cravings all week...until around 3pm today and then got hit with a nuclear bomb.
Its like the AV said: "ok, he seems full of resolve this time, mini cravings are not going to do it. Lets save up a week's supply until he is a little tired and hungry and bored at work....and then lets hit him with everything and beat the crap out of him".

Anyway it lasted around 4 hours until I could get to eat. Went to the local Japanese restaurant, picked the healthiest dish I could find (a kind of rice, fish and seaweed soup, sounds terrible, taste great). And ate 4 bowls until zero space for alcohol. Everyone else picking away at sushi except for the Westerner in the corner eating like an animal. Craving gone.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:29 AM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by abraxas69 View Post
Just popping in to say hi, haven't been around for a few days. Bought myself an xbox one with the money I've saved from not drinking and smoking, so been keeping busy with that! Whilst playing video games might not seem the best way to spend one's time, I've found it very helpful! The number of times in the past I've tried to play games and simply wasn't capable, or would have to replay them the next time around because I didn't remember the experience...

And continuing on from that theme, it astounds me how much of my life I've wasted through alcohol. And by that I mean all the forgotten moments. Kind of obvious, but what is the point of living a moment if you don't remember it!?

16 days sober for me; early days but feeling positive and happier than I have been for years!
Hey,

Nice to meet you and congratulations on day 16!

What games are you playing? I've got a Playstation and I must say, during those restless sober nights when I can't relax, there's nothing like a game to help!
Old 12-08-2015, 04:31 AM
  # 395 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ubntubnt View Post
Dear oh dear, I had not being experiencing cravings all week...until around 3pm today and then got hit with a nuclear bomb.
Its like the AV said: "ok, he seems full of resolve this time, mini cravings are not going to do it. Lets save up a week's supply until he is a little tired and hungry and bored at work....and then lets hit him with everything and beat the crap out of him".

Anyway it lasted around 4 hours until I could get to eat. Went to the local Japanese restaurant, picked the healthiest dish I could find (a kind of rice, fish and seaweed soup, sounds terrible, taste great). And ate 4 bowls until zero space for alcohol. Everyone else picking away at sushi except for the Westerner in the corner eating like an animal. Craving gone.
Good for you for picking up the food instead of the booze! 4 hours is a long time to go without food though, that would definitely be a test for my sobriety!
Old 12-08-2015, 04:49 AM
  # 396 (permalink)  

Good for you for picking up the food instead of the booze! 4 hours is a long time to go without food though, that would definitely be a test for my sobriety!
Well if I am honest I hadn't eaten since 8am which was a little silly. I need to eat more to help prevent further cravings. Lesson learned.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:13 AM
  # 397 (permalink)  

Hey,

Nice to meet you and congratulations on day 16!

What games are you playing? I've got a Playstation and I must say, during those restless sober nights when I can't relax, there's nothing like a game to help!
Hi Yogini, nice to meet a fellow gamer here :-)

I'm playing Fallout 4 and the new Tomb Raider - got them as a bundle with the console on Black Friday.

I was finding my most difficult moments were when I was bored and nothing to do, so for now at least it is a big help. Especially in the late evening as I used to crash out about 10pm or so, but now find I can't go to bed until at least midnight. No alcohol and no cigarettes sure does mean a lot of time on your hands that takes some getting used to!

Hopefully I'' find more noble causes to fill my time with in the near future (lol) but for now this suits me just fine
Old 12-08-2015, 05:16 AM
  # 398 (permalink)  

Day 39 for me.

Yesterday was terrible. I felt so tired and depressed that I pretty much went to sleep as soon as I got out of work. I must of slept for about 16 hours. Every thought of doubt came into my mind which turned to depression. I asked my self why am I going through sobriety and all the mistakes I made in my past that lead me to this.

I felt so bad that I just slept thru it and did not want to live in that present moment.

Today I woke up feeling much better and I'm ready to continue with life as I try to progress and be better that before
Old 12-08-2015, 05:24 AM
  # 399 (permalink)  

I think gaming can be a real help. I like online games but can't be bothered when I'm drinking because they're too involved. Thinking of logging on to my Final Fantasy 14 and catching up with some people I've not spoke to for a long while.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:25 AM
  # 400 (permalink)  

Hi Yogini, nice to meet a fellow gamer here :-)

I'm playing Fallout 4 and the new Tomb Raider - got them as a bundle with the console on Black Friday.

I was finding my most difficult moments were when I was bored and nothing to do, so for now at least it is a big help. Especially in the late evening as I used to crash out about 10pm or so, but now find I can't go to bed until at least midnight. No alcohol and no cigarettes sure does mean a lot of time on your hands that takes some getting used to!

Hopefully I'' find more noble causes to fill my time with in the near future (lol) but for now this suits me just fine
Who's bothered about noble as long as you're having fun and not being destructive or getting addicted then fill your boots.