Notices

It will all end today one way or another

Old 11-29-2015, 10:19 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Joe, when I first got sober I went to AA meetings. I didn't even see myself as well as you do. I thought I was fine. Just needed to remove alcohol.

Then I tried to follow along at meetings where others were in long-term sobriety. It became very clear quite quickly that I was not in my right mind. I had trouble putting two thoughts together. It was scary.

The good news is the brain heals pretty quickly. Pot and alcohol are not your friends. They are hurting you mind, body, and soul.

I'm really glad you're here. Check in with us over on the Weekender, too. Someone is always chatting in there.

Day One for you! Excellent.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:09 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Joe - I'm so glad you posted about what's going on. Every one of us understands what it's like to feel this way. You are never alone. You can get free and have a great life. We're with you.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:25 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Do your best

Glad your with us Joe
Old 11-29-2015, 01:37 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad to hear you're ok Joe - and yeah - it was all or nothing for me - no pot no booze...no compromise

D
Old 11-29-2015, 01:56 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

You can do this Joe!!

You can draw a line under alcohol and move forward to write a new happier chapter to your life!!

SR is in your corner!!
Old 11-29-2015, 02:25 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

One step at a time Joe. If you stumble and fall - get right back up and try again. Just don't quite....get back up every time you fall down. You have support here on SR. Check in early and often.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:37 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Glad ur ok Joe, u've taken the right step, honesty amongst loved 1's deffinately makes this time easier for me. Were they supportive??
Old 11-30-2015, 05:56 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

God I need help, I haven't had a drink for over 24 hours but my anxiety, shame, guilt and fear is mounting with every passing minute. I'm at work at the moment and just want to leave so I can go and speak with someone about my problems, samara tins or the local drug rehab centre. I'm going AA tonight so hopefully that will help me
Old 11-30-2015, 06:12 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Joe, what you're experiencing is very normal at the start of sobriety. They're the symptoms of withdrawl. They will pass, try to work through them. You should also consider seeing your doc and honestly explain your alcohol use and your desire to quit. The doc can prescribe meds for the anxiety.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:25 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Joe, I had the same anxiety, shame, guilt and fear the first few days out.
It's normal, and I often used it as an excuse to pick up again.

Your idea of talking to someone is much much wiser.
These feelings will pass, and in a few days you will feel better.
Push through this--you can do it.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:35 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Going to AA is a fantastic idea.
I think a good thing to remember though is that in this journey to get sober you really have to have a lot of faith. Read and re-read the experiences of others who say that life gets so much better sober. Keep the faith when you feel like giving up. I say this because there will be rough moments, you will pass through a lot of mixed emotions. You will face cravings. AA will be a great way to receive support, but I've also been to my fair share of boring meetings where I wished I was home in bed. But keep going back to the meetings, keep coming on here, keep forcing yourself through the tough moments, keep the faith that if you put in this hard work it will get better. It really, really will.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:38 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good stuff Joe you have a good meeting tonight you have us 24-7
Old 11-30-2015, 07:15 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hi Joe,

So sorry to read how low you've been feeling. As others have said a big part of that will be the drugs and alcohol you're taking, and it will take time for the physical effects of them to completely leave your system. And that period of transition will be tough.

I used to smoke a lot of weed, and found that if I had any in the house, I'd smoke it. I was completely incapable of not smoking if I had access to any. Can you flush away any you might still have? Are there steps you can take to make getting access to drugs or alcohol more difficult? This may involve cutting some people out of your life for a while at least, until you're more grounded in your sobriety.

I don't know what you've been smoking, but newer strains of skunk are having hugely damaging impacts on mental health. Nothing like the pot of Flower Power days. Giving that up, once it's left your system, really could help you get back on an even keel. And as others have said, alcohol might appear to give a temporary lift, but it is also a depressant.

In the mean time, it's fantastic that you're reaching out for support. Keep doing that from anywhere you can find that offers it. You know we'll all do what we can to help you start a new, better life free of drugs and alcohol.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:23 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Just say its So Joe... prayers from Wisconsin and so much love from the whole silly group here... hold us tight its going to be a bumpy road.. but you can do it.. I know it. for so many of us have had to do the same thing for a lot of different reasons... family children our own lives or the life of someone else.. please pop in do a thank you . do a hand wave .. and know that so many here are looking for your smile. love an Old Lady Clown...
Old 11-30-2015, 07:45 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your support
Old 11-30-2015, 07:56 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Keep it going, friend.

Once you make it through this early time, you will be amazed at how much better your life will become. Don't listen to that voice in your head that says it wants to pick up. That voice will kill you.

You can read AA's book online at its site, too. Free
Old 11-30-2015, 07:57 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

glad ya made it back here and decided to get f2f support,joe.
i not only got sober but also received a pretty dam good life through aa. working the steps did miracles to and for me.
but i didnt start the journey feeling very good about myself. when i got the big book and started reading, these words hit me pretty hard:
Quicksand stretched around me in all directions. I had met my match. I had been overwhelmed. Alcohol was my master.

the program showed me how to find a new master- one of my own understanding thats helped me tremendously.

i suggest when ya get to that meeting, let em know youre new and want to stop drinking.
get some phone numbers of others. then use em,neven if its just to say hi, but works pretty good to open up,too.
get a big book. it had the program of action we do/did and also has many promises of what will happen by working it.
and please stay in contact here.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:18 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Good advice about getting some numbers. I was really fortunate that at my first meeting they put together some materials for me and passed around a list for people to write their names and numbers and gave it to me without me having to ask. The first week I didn't call anyone, but the following week I sent a text message to a girl about my age and she responded via text. I now text her sometimes when I am feeling uneasy and she is great at responding. I attended her 9th birthday of being sober and after she blew out the candles on her sweets she handed out her 9 candles, giving me one of them. There are special people to be found in the meetings.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:22 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

i lost a friend to suicide this weekend. it is devastating.

please talk to someone, and if you feel unsafe call an ambulance or go to A&E.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:30 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joe1987 View Post
I absolutely 100% have to get sober, before my 48 hour binge I had been sober from alcohol for three weeks but I was smoking weed on a daily basis, I tell myself that I am an addict and worthless and then when I get drunk I lose all of my inhibitions and lose all control, I always end up black out drunk. I think I do have suffer from depression and I think that the years of smoking weed has had a terrible effect on my state of mind. I need to do this for myself and my loved ones and it has to start today
I was an every day pot smoker for a very long time. And as gradual as it is at first, it def has an impact on your brain and your mood. At first it was all happy times. Then depression started to sprinkle in every once in a while until I was a full blown depressed 20 something year old. Got on anti depressants, anto anxiety... but it wasnt until I quit smoking pot that I felt better (and that took a long time-- months upon months to have some resemblance of what I use to be). Now I am almost back to my normal self. Pot controlled what I did. If I couldnt smoke where i was going I would smoke before I left, or in the car, or outside before I went into someones house.

So if I can do it. Anyone can do it. Trust me on that. It takes a lot of willpower and determination. But you can do it.