Notices

A Newcomers Weekender Thread Nov 27 Pt 2

Old 11-29-2015, 08:34 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Darn it, Bim, I hate losing long posts. I've gotten to where I select all copy before hitting submit, because I never know if I'm going to lose it at submit. I guess I lose track of time.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:39 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Mesa: This is not a discussion about whether we're going to paint the Guest Bedroom a different color. This is about my Sobriety. Morphing into maturity the level this discussion takes place at is gonna take some work.

Oh, and what a pic. Again. I sure look forward to the beauty that people post here...pets to pinons to piers.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:43 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Most of my pet spiders don't acknowledge my calling their names from across the room.
Thankfully, I don't worry about their potential midnight "land mines" either.
Eyes wide open, steppin' into it. Why did I come down to the fridge anyway?
Now if only my pet scorpion would finally listen to my whistle,
well dam, I'd have it made. Still workin' on scorp whistle.
Enter Dracula.
LOL!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P_tranvaalicus_040815BSRA.JPG (84.5 KB, 56 views)
Old 11-29-2015, 08:45 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Old 11-29-2015, 08:46 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

I hope that spot on the scorpion's head is its Off switch...
Old 11-29-2015, 08:52 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I hope that spot on the scorpion's head is its Off switch...
Old 11-29-2015, 09:02 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Sorry about your mum Tetra, don't let her spoil your day

I hope it goes well for you this afternoon Venecia

Lunar your spider and scorpion are very impressive to look but would give me nightmares if I lived with them. I felt slightly uncomfortable putting my finger on Dracula to scroll down (i'm using my phone)

Aah! How annoying bimini - it has been a while since it happened to me

Neighbour cat Boris yawned his head off when I stroked him - I must bore him
Old 11-29-2015, 09:02 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

good morning, everybody!

Abraxas, way to go!! So glad for you.

Tetra, I'm so sorry for the incident with your mom. Mom's do indeed have the power to wound.

And Lunar, that's quite a spectacular spider! Very beautiful.

Quiet day here, will go to see my friend whose cat just passed away, for coffee and moral support.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:16 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

I will say that whenever I visited mom, I had to numb myself first.
She passed before I got sober. But it was the same before I ever got drunk.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:21 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

G'morning Weekenders,

Mr. Potamus and I have already had our heated discussions this morning on the ethics of eating meat, food modernization and industrialization arguments, as well as the same old argument on religious faith, keeping the Torah, and the value and necessity of questioning one's own beliefs. He does all this sans coffee; the Potamus needs her coffee

Opened the gate and let the beagles roam free in the woods - Katie promptly turned around and followed me back inside, whereas Lucy was gone for maybe 15 minutes or so, and then suddenly appeared at the door, pushing it open with her nose to let herself back in I'm happy to know they don't want to roam far without us.

I've attacked the laundry this morning, and just finished up cleaning the kitchen. Was going to bake a cherry pie but the oven started smoking. I turned it off, going to wait for Mr. Potamus because he's had practice using the fire extinguisher. I guess it means I need to clean out the oven? It has a self-cleaning mode but that always scares me too. Eek.

Much work left to do in the proofreading course I'm taking. Going to plod along through that today.

More later...
Old 11-29-2015, 09:22 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

So many women are so miserable. I think a lot of women would have been better off not having children. It seems there is quite a bit of resentment by mothers, in general. I believe it's because they never quite understand that their children are separate people. I started saying that to my mom at age 16. "Mom, we are separate people." All the way up until I was in my forties she still acted like anything I did reflected on her. We lived 3000 miles apart and she still couldn't let it go that I didn't/would never accept her suggestions as gospel.

She was exhausting.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:25 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
So many women are so miserable. I think a lot of women would have been better off not having children. It seems there is quite a bit of resentment by mothers, in general.
+1

I think my grandmother was probably one of those, lol. Though, she adored the grandchildren, lol.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:26 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Beautiful boy cat, Bim.

And Lunar ... yikes!! That's all I've got to say
Old 11-29-2015, 09:31 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

I mean, I understand the resentment. Sorry guys, but women take on the majority of child-care, home care, etc. I'm not saying it's the men's fault, but men just are more laid back when it comes to letting kids raise themselves a little. My mother was all up in my face all the time. She was divorced and I'm an only child so it was a very intense relationship. We had no other family around.

I know she resented me. It was obvious. I think it may have gotten even worse as I got older and it became apparent I wasn't going to move close to them, get married and have grandbabies.

Life. Complicated. Here is a pretty picture.

Old 11-29-2015, 09:35 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

I get it, Bim.

I was an only child too, but my mother wanted to be my "friend" and was very laid back, open, and often posed philosophical questions about life, heavy sorts of things, and she was also an alcoholic. She tried to be the exact opposite of what her mom was to her. I guess I could've used someone in the "middle" so to speak. Growing up this way, I'm sure, influenced my tendencies, habits, hobbies, and personality. There weren't many rules, and lots of room to explore. She'd also come home at 4am in the morning long after I'd fallen asleep, and I'd be forced to wake her up to take me to school. So, there was that side of it too, as well as not knowing if she'd show up to pick me up from school. Thankfully, I had a very responsible set of grandparents who loved me, and a great step-mom too.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:58 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Afternoon all,

Just woke up from a badly needed three way nap. Mrs B and junior are still asleep.

I hope your date goes well Ven! I have put your movie recommendation on my watchlist.

We all carry our childhoods with us, just waiting to erupt at the most fitting trigger. In my humble opinion, the main task in the living sober project is working at being a better parent to ourselves. What parts of me need looking after that I used to drown with neurotoxin: the vulnerable, angry, lonely, uninhibited, or the entitled?

Well, that's what I'm trying my best to do at the moment and getting all the help that I can, especially on this bus.

Is your tree up K? Is it too early for another Christmas song?

Old 11-29-2015, 09:59 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Behan View Post
We all carry our childhoods with us, just waiting to erupt at the most fitting trigger. In my humble opinion, the main task in the living sober project is working at being a better parent to ourselves. What parts of me need looking after that I used to drown with neurotoxin: the vulnerable, angry, lonely, uninhibited, or the entitled?
Agreed!
Old 11-29-2015, 10:03 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Behan View Post

This. Nailed it.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:04 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Glad your little fam is getting a few winks, Behan!
Old 11-29-2015, 10:07 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Absolutely. The inner work which had the most profound effect on me was inner child work.

I have a picture of myself at age three. Before the beatings, before the divorce, before the domestic violence of my mom's second marriage. Before she and I had our hateful ego-clashes. That child needs comforting even to this day.

Self-care.

We've come full circle.