Notices

A Newcomers Weekender Thread Nov 27 Pt 2

Old 11-29-2015, 07:37 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Good morning lovely bus riders!

Woke up with a headache but thank god it's not the hangover kind!

Congrats Abraxas! Starting the week hangover free is the best!!

Venecia...oh I so hear you! Putting yourself out there is hard. Hope you have fun today and if it's a dud, well, at least you can cross him off the list.

Sao....are you sure you weren't watching sports with my dad? He swears every game/match is fixed but still continues to watch! Ha!

I'm babysitting a while today to help get me out of this weird mood.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:37 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tetra View Post
There are times when I think I'm getting on well and then something happens.
My dad and I went out for hot chocolate and had a nice time. My mom was in a mood when we got back and called me "totally useless". Now, we have been getting on okay so this was like a sledgehammer. Yeah, I'm pissed off, I'm always making allowances for her: like the reason she behaves this way is because she is suffering too. But no. Today I think the reason she behaves this way is because she is a witch.

Now I'm angry.
I made a lot of allowances for family, too, Tetra. But you know what...everyone suffers and behavior is a choice. My mother was an angry frustrated woman during my growing up. She went off on me purely because she could. I found it extremely upsetting and unbalancing to be valued or at least tolerated one minute and the next minute I was sh!#. It deeply affected me.

My parents are both the most wonderful people I can imagine now...they ultimately resolved their demons and especially my mother is sweet through and through. I am thankful every day that they are mine and I get to enjoy them now. But I will not minimize the turmoil and long term effects of my early life.

I see no words of wisdom in my comments. Ha. Just a late, ineffective rant from someone who has "been there", too.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:38 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

The Brazilian Giant Whiteknee Tarantula (Acanthoscurria geniculata), is a species of tarantula native to the Amazon basin of Northern Brazil. It is commonly referred to as the Brazilian giant whiteknee tarantula in reference its brilliant black and white banded legs. This is a large species, fast growing and taking up to 3–4 years to reach a mature leg-span of 8.5 inches for females.

These tarantulas have been much prized as pets, due to their size, hardiness, and striking colouration. They are moderately defensive, and their urticating hairs can be quite irritating to human skin. These spiders, like many un-domesticated pets, can bite when provoked. Fortunately because they have urticating hairs, biting is typically not their first line of defense. Their venom is not considered medically significant, but due to their large size the puncture wounds can be damaging.
Enter Cochise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cochise091915ASR1.JPG (87.6 KB, 40 views)
Old 11-29-2015, 07:41 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
...holds the key

(((Tetra)))

Lunar, that spider really is beautiful to look at....from a safe distance of course!
Old 11-29-2015, 07:49 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

I love spiders. I wish I had spent my life as an entomologist.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:50 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Thank you, brynn.
She came shipped in a pill bottle in 12/2011.
Now, she is huge, happy and well-taken care of. : )
Old 11-29-2015, 07:57 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

A pet spider? Does it come to you when you call it from across the room?

Tetra, do not let that witch anger you. There is nothing you can do. Do you get angry at flesh eating zombies? No, it's what they do. You just have to protect yourself from them. And unless she moves up higher on the witch scale, her only power right now is nasty words. If she turned you into a newt, then it would be time to get pissed off. Don't let her 'control' your emotions.

Serenity now! Serenity now! Serenity now!
Old 11-29-2015, 08:02 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Good words, LBrain!
Old 11-29-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Weasel, tree time? I was told 'we' are putting up a tree and decorating for xmas. And 'we' will, but 'I' won't. And if staying up till 3 AM every night and sleeping until past noon to go to work etc is any indication, 'we' will not be putting up and decorating a tree this year.
I got over 10 hours of sleep. I suppose I'll start trying to organize and move 'stuff' from the family room storage unit just in case 'we' decide that 'we' are going to decorate.

Have a good day all. Funny, MM you are killing me. I was going to post the aluminum tree/light wheel thing. I seriously want to get one - someday.
I'm considering a "live" tree this year. Putting up and taking down the fake one is a lot of work. Plus I support my local fire company.
HAF, getting a real tree is not 'killing' a tree. They are a commercial crop. Think that every time you buy a loaf of bread you are killing a field of wheat?
Old 11-29-2015, 08:09 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
...holds the key

It's hard not to let someone control your emotions when that someone is the one person in the world you want approval from. I'm speaking from my personal experience with my mother, not saying it's exactly the same for you, tetra, but let's face it...as girls we want that stamp of approval from mom. It's like if they only knew one word from them can make or break us. Ugh!!!
I agree...Serenity Now.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:12 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
...holds the key

I looked up aluminum tree and the color wheel! Funky! I don't think my family was ever trendy enough for that.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:15 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone! Getting caught up on the thread.

I'm grateful for my continued sobriety today. Some kid in my AA meeting has three months. I remember when that seemed an insurmountable challenge. I'd never get there. But I stuck with it and I made it.

Too bad about the dog park. I've learned over time that people are remarkably short sighted when it comes to their dogs and children. My son is deathly afraid of dogs. Last year at Halloween a woman was walking her tiny ankle biter on an extendable leash and the dog took off after my son, literally nipping his ankles. "Oops! Sorry! Tee hee!" I almost swore at her for her idiocy. One, the dog got overexcited because of all the kids around trick or treating. Two, she walked the dog through the kids, three, she had little control over the dog because it was on a stupidly long leash. People think everyone loves their dog. Or kid. I try not to be blind to my kids faults.

Time to focus on kids right now. See you all later.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:18 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brynn View Post
It's hard not to let someone control your emotions when that someone is the one person in the world you want approval from. I'm speaking from my personal experience with my mother, not saying it's exactly the same for you, tetra, but let's face it...as girls we want that stamp of approval from mom. It's like if they only knew one word from them can make or break us. Ugh!!!
I agree...Serenity Now.
Exactly, Brynn.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:18 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Good morning sober friends. And another wonderful hangover free Sunday. Saturday nights I would dread having to wakeup Sunday morning because that would mean I would have to dread waking up Monday morning.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:23 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

I lost a long post. Haven't had that happen for a while. I blame "Edge." WTD, Microsoft, you have to change the whole browser? Ohwell.

Self care = Serenity for me. That means walking away from argumentative, complaining people and situations that I know are bad for me. Like that grocery job. Or my neighbor who is so unhappy. It isn't always easy and sometimes there's drama when I detach - but detachment is a very helpful skill.

My big fluffy boy...

pictures. why you so difficult?
Old 11-29-2015, 08:25 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Hi Gettingsmarter! Awesome that you're enjoying a hangover free Sunday. I always hated Sundays. Not anymore.

Tetra, I'm sorry about your mom. It's so hard because it truly isn't you but it's difficult not to internalize that junk.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:27 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

So - get this. Was texting my guy friend this morning. He and his hunting buddies started their two-day drive back from Montana today. While we were texting, I get this text: "Hold on, Craig just schmucked a deer." Yep - they hit a deer with the car. Still only two hours into the 18-ish hour drive. He sent pictures of the car. Not good, but I guess nothing critical is damaged, so they are just going to try to limp home. Yikes. It's just ironic that the only guy who actually shot a deer on the whole trip is also the one who was driving.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:28 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BixBees505 View Post
I made a lot of allowances for family, too, Tetra. But you know what...everyone suffers and behavior is a choice. My mother was an angry frustrated woman during my growing up. She went off on me purely because she could. I found it extremely upsetting and unbalancing to be valued or at least tolerated one minute and the next minute I was sh!#. It deeply affected me.

My parents are both the most wonderful people I can imagine now...they ultimately resolved their demons and especially my mother is sweet through and through. I am thankful every day that they are mine and I get to enjoy them now. But I will not minimize the turmoil and long term effects of my early life.

I see no words of wisdom in my comments. Ha. Just a late, ineffective rant from someone who has "been there", too.
Hug tetra, been fighting with my mom too.
She's a wonderful person, but she fights really dirty, says nasty nasty things that are totally uncalled for.
She also can't 'lose' so she'll just make things up that aren't true in order to get her point across.
Bix:
I also made allowences for this behaviour and I'm not tolerating it anymore, I think she knows that now.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:29 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Yes, happy Sober Sunday, friends! I feel wonderful today. I **will** tackle the fake tree assembly today...thanks for Peanuts music, Weasel!
Going out to fill bird feeders, and I will get the fire going again. I am excited for this beautiful, wet November day. The creeks are rushing, the cardinals are everywhere, and each crabapple fruit sports a little diamond raindrop.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:31 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

A big ole WeekBender's Welcome to Joe, and Abraxas, and some others I know I've missed while this Thread scorches along at the speed of Sobriety. Of course, Abraxas brought to mind Santana, and their peak performance from Woodstock. I can't link their 1970 Abraxas Album here due to - um - some Female 'Attributes' on that Disc Artwork right outta the National Geographic Magazines I viewed as a Kid. I kinda recall their Drummer is around 18 Years old in this.

A safe Statement is that everyone here throws down interesting POVs that get me thinking. A special Shout Out goes to Jen who - a few Days ago - hit the proverbial Nail on the Head with her insight that Booze all around [me] mucks with Serenity. Indeed, it does. I can run, but I cannot hide, so to speak... That Conundrum here is changing because it has to.

We happened to be Texting between Buildings here on the Ranchette, and Jen's wise observation popped into my Head. I Texted back to Da Wife - who was wondered where I was - that I was chillin', since Serenity in Sobriety is pivotal. This was the first time I put that Concept 'out there'. Nicely boxed up in a tidy Package. Complete with a lil Bow around it.

Serenity is thus my new Linchpin for both the existence of, and the precise placement of, Sober Boundaries. That is, my pending 'soft' roll-out of Sober Boundaries is to foster Serenity. Right there. That's the 'Big Bang' Theory of Sobriety: Serenity. Sayin' it right out loud. I'm hoping this Strategy blunts recent 'Belly Bumping' here where Alcohol at the Dinner Table was viewed by Da Wife as some Fight that she angrily capitulated on because I 'had to win'. Her words.

This is not a discussion here about whether we're going to paint the Guest Bedroom a different color. This is about my Sobriety. Morphing into Maturity the level this discussion takes place at is gonna take some work.

Sunrise this Morning below...

- 'Soul Sacrifice' ~ Santana ~ Woodstock -