Notices

A Newcomers Weekender Thread Nov 27 Pt 2

Old 11-28-2015, 07:14 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

A decent, non-bummer of a Day here around the Ranchette.

I strapped the Pooch into his Sheepskin-padded Travel Harness; clipped on the Restraint Strap [to a Back Seat Headrest Post]; and away we went.

Hit the Big City Dog Park after a Snack at a new Sports Bar that was on my Route. A non-issue for me. I faced a huge TV, and snacked away. A lil Retaining Pond at the Dog Park had drained, and was a Mud Pit. So was Da Pooch. Silt. With about 10 Minutes left, 2 Couples with 4 Dogs came in. Their Pit Bull lived up to the Stereotype, and promptly attacked our Pooch. We pulled them apart. He had gotten only Collar; not Neck. The Pit tried it again a few minutes later, and I yelled at him so loud and hard, he turned and stopped his brisk approach. The Owner was civilized and apologetic about it. I simply said: 'Anything non-contact is OK'. I warned an incoming Woman w/small Dog about it, and she only stayed a few Minutes. This Pit - now leashed - went after her tiny Pooch. No Owner 'Attitude'. He was cooperative. No harm. No foul, thanks to my now-honed Instincts over time in these situations.

A few Errands, and grabbed a Pizza for Home. My red-Eyed Partner burned it good, and smoked up the House, while I washed Da Pooch. In my Mind, I chalked this up to very obvious Lunch Drinking w/Gal Pals. She chalked it up to 'this Oven being hotter than prior Ovens'. More Lying about who she was with. However, this laughable malarkey is so much better than Drinking being in my Face here, I'm kewl with it. As I like to say: 'The only Person I'm interested in changing the Relationship to Alcohol with is me'. She's passed out. I'm doing Laundry. I'm pretty well jaded/hardened to these minor Scenarios. Time - and Sobriety - marches on.

My Self-Care consists of cruising around, and looking at schitte. I like that a lot. Didn't make it to the State Park. It had Snowed there. Nighttime Temps of 7 and 8 Degrees are on tap starting tomorrow, so I simply enjoyed being out and about in reasonable 36 F Degree Weather.

By current Standards I've lowered the Bar to, today was a good Day.

Tull's Ode to Steelworkers in this amusing Lip Synched Performance...

- 'Steel Monkey' ~ Jethro Tull ~ Vier Gegen Willi TV Show -
Old 11-28-2015, 07:17 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by*Melina*

"And when people would talk about self care, like suggesting a bubble bath or buying a special tea, I thought they were sooooooo lame. How was that ever going to scratch the itch that blackout drinking did?"

Gosh no kidding! Who would have thought that I would look forward to going straight to the gym as soon as possible after work and not a bar. Mind blowing.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:20 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
The Pit tried it again a few minutes later, and I yelled at him so loud and hard, he turned and stopped his brisk approach.
Wow, well done

I often wonder what I'll do in a situation like this.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:33 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Options:

Walking/Hiking Stick as a Weapon. Pepper Spray. A hard Boot Kick where you 'think through' the Target. That is, you don't stop at the Animal. You focus on your Kick Arc being beyond the Target. This means you'll continue full force at contact. This is done in Martial Arts.

Commit whatever you're going to do to 'Muscle Memory'. Do some practice runs. Then, you'll do what you have to without thinking about it.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:52 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I'll try the Yell first, and then the Kick through thing if the yell doesn't work. I don't usually carry a stick or spray.

I'm pretty good at yelling I trained as a singer for a little while in my twenties. I can project, lol.

I guess I'd hate to kick an animal, but if the animal was attacking Lucy, I probably wouldn't have to think twice.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:55 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Fresh, clean sheets, blankets, and pillowcases tonight. Ahhh. It's worth the time and effort. Husband fell asleep on sofa waiting for me to finish. Tried to wake him but he refuses. Cranky. Oh well. More room for Lucy and Katie.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:06 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I used to have two West Highland Terriers, who thought they were big dogs but were actually quite small. I had them out walking on leashes, and along came a Rottweiler not on leash, no owner in sight. My dogs yapped, and the Rottweiler attacked. I didn't have time to think, pulled back hard on the two leashes to pull my dogs backwards, while kicking as hard as I could at the Rottweiler, and screaming. I don't think I hurt him, but he did run away.

Good point, MesaMan, about the 'kicking through'. I did a short stint of martial arts last year, and was amazed at the difference that made.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:23 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

My tabletop Christmas tree fell apart. So I went to Hobby Lobby and got a new one tonight. It's 4.5 feet tall, bigger than my last one. If I was going to have family here, I would get a real tree. But for me and the doggies, a small fake one serves the purpose. And I don't have to worry about fire or killing a tree. It looks very festive.
tomorrow is football for me, and the last day of my staycation. Boohoo. The week went by too fast. But it was a nice break from work.
Ok...almost time to go to sleep. See you all tomorrow.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:37 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Hey all you chatty Cathys. I'm with you HaF, go away for the day and ten pages plus roll over to thread part deux.

We went to Indiana to meet my brother and his family to take my grandfather out go lunch. It was nice but sad as grandpa is contemplating putting his elderly dog down. We got home and I went to the hospital to visit with my parents. Dad's getting the LVAD on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Melina, I've started stretching for self care and not getting bent out of shape about cleaning the house. I was doing shopping for a while but I've found that it's substituting one thing for another. Buying stuff can't fill the hollow feeling permanently, only a temporary quick fix like alcohol so I've been mindful of that.

MLD, I did see Bowie at Rosemont Horizon. Maybe we were at the same show. That's funny!

Joe, welcome to the forum.

Midnight, I'm sorry you had s rough time. I hope you're feeling better.

I'm getting ready for bed. One more day of the weekend. Rats!
Old 11-28-2015, 08:45 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Thanks for chiming in on self care. I am very self absorbed so I am learning the difference between having a nice cup of tea and believing I should be catered to bc I am the most fascinating person on earth

Mesa, I have rescued two pitties in the past. The first one was born with hip dysplasia, got bit while greeting another dog (supposedly a 'nice' breed) while on a walk and became aggressive after that to hide his limp from the hip dysplasia. He had to go down. 2 vets and a behavior guy said there wasn't anything to do unless that mythical 'farm where dogs roam free' existed. I guess that's common when dogs have been attacked, they can turn a corner with aggression, especially when trying to hide a defect.

The second one was a sweetheart and my ex took her in the breakup. I was fine with that bc that was our agreement when we adopted her. She was a cuddle bug and a lover.

I think how the breed is raised really matters.

I used to care a lot but now I don't get involved bc it's heartbreaking to be in the dog rescue world. Like soul shattering when you see how people are. I had to remove myself. One of the few good decisions I made during drinking days.

And Mesa, I drive around and look at schitte for self care, too. I am dang curious and I like to see what's going on from the warmth and safety of my vehicle. Plus that's where I smoke and listen to my sobriety podcasts. Happy to say the list is getting longer on the podcasts as I find new stuff. Really makes a car ride enjoyable.

I haven't quit smoking yet guys, but the idea won't leave me alone. It feels like when you know you have a problem with drinking. Contemplation and all that.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:49 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Aluminum, Man. It's the Xmas Tree of the Future.

This was pretty much our Living Room once Mom went 'Atomic'. I was, of course, in charge of The Color Wheel.

- Aluminum Xmas Tree -

Hey, Melina ~ You and I are in 'Violent Agreement', as I like to joke. My very careful, intentional wording was '... lived up to the Stereotype ...'. The Stereotype, as with all Stereotypes, is a falsified Reality, as your Testimonial reiterates. Chows are sometimes BadAzz, as are some Rotties.

I didn't want to leave hanging the incorrect impression that I believe the Stereotype. 'Tis all - or mostly all - about how a Pooch is treated. Retired Fighting Dogs - yah, the Real Deal in remote Barns around here on Saturday Nights - sometimes wind up as Rescues. Good Hearts like yourself try to bring them around to a decent Life.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:17 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning everyone

Beautiful sunset Soberpotamus

When for a short run by the canal this morning.

There are two attractive young women who run about the same time as me except they really run fast. It seems to involve a lot of technology for whenever I get back to my starting point they are always pouring over digital readouts that they had strapped to various body parts. It all seems very complicated
Old 11-28-2015, 11:28 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Morning, Sao!

Maybe they are checking an app that lets them know if someone near them finds them attractive wink wink
Old 11-28-2015, 11:38 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by Melina View Post

I used to care a lot but now I don't get involved bc it's heartbreaking to be in the dog rescue world. Like soul shattering when you see how people are. I had to remove myself. One of the few good decisions I made during drinking days.
Ain't that the truth Melina, some people are monsters

I have just watched a rerun of the Vladimir Klitchko /Tyson Fury fight (boxing). It was not a great fight and the media interest has been modest. It made me think of the contrast between now and boxing in the 1970s - some of Mohammed Ali's fights were a lead news item for weeks, not lead Sports news but actual nightly news bulletins Is this a good or a bad thing?
Old 11-28-2015, 11:40 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning Melina

They would get a "Like" from me
Old 11-28-2015, 11:53 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Morning Melina

Chat them up, Sao! We need a little romance around here!

Old 11-29-2015, 01:25 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
saoutchik

They are younger than my youngest daughter Melina so I probably won't do that Even Mesa man's generous coefficient doesn't stretch that far

I'm totally out of breath by the time I catch up too lol

I have the Robusta on now
Old 11-29-2015, 02:00 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Morning Melina

Like is a good start. Trees hit mates material rather quickly. Lets see if you can get further Sao!!!

It was Trees correct? HAHA I have zero memory.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:11 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone!

A whole week sober!

Don't think I could have done it without SR so thank you

Today also marks 4 weeks without a cigarette so go me!
Old 11-29-2015, 02:33 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Do your best

I havnt seen the fight but by all accounts Fury made klitchko look amateur my brother saw the fight and said that but on the round by round report I read it sounded a lot closer with Fury edging the later rounds

Morning everyone