SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   A Newcomers Weekender Thread Nov 27 Pt 2 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/380026-newcomers-weekender-thread-nov-27-pt-2-a.html)

MLD51 11-28-2015 05:43 PM

Very blah day for me. I think I've figured out that I need to cut wayyyy back on sugar. I was just reading that a lack of energy (me, lately) is a common symptom of too much sugar. There are other signs, too. That kind of sucks, because ice cream, but I'm tired of not feeling like doing anything. After the holidays I'll tackle that.

Hard to keep up on the this thread this weekend - chatty bunch!

Melina 11-28-2015 05:45 PM

http://i65.tinypic.com/4uz1i9.jpg

A cool twist on drinking! Seen from 'our' side for once :)

If this pic is ginormous, just know that I'm not doing it on purpose to annoy you. I swear.

Soberpotamus 11-28-2015 05:47 PM

Bim, all you need is to download the Photobucket app. Create an account, and be sure to set all your albums to private (let's hope they're private!). Once you open the app, it will ask if you want to set it to auto-upload, so make sure to do that. And from that point forward, you should be good to go. You can then wipe all pics from your phone that you don't want, and that takes out the middle step of manually sending them to yourself.

Photobucket is for iPhone and for Android.

biminiblue 11-28-2015 05:49 PM

I haven't had the best luck in the past with my Photobucket account. I'd have to open a new one anyway, my name is in the URL for all my pics on photobucket.

I think one major tech upheaval at a time. W10 and the new browser, "Edge," are gonna keep me busy. Thanks, though - good to know. I wonder if tiny pic has that...

Soberpotamus 11-28-2015 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by biminiblue (Post 5665466)
I haven't had the best luck in the past with my Photobucket account. I'd have to open a new one anyway, my name is in the URL for all my pics on photobucket.

Yep, I used my real name when I made my first account. I had to create a new one with an anonymous name.

biminiblue 11-28-2015 05:53 PM

MLD, how's the smoking/non-smoking going? I have the same problem with too much sugar. Then I have too much caffeine and it's a viscous circle.

Soberpotamus 11-28-2015 05:59 PM

Yeah, wondering how all the smokers quitting smoking are doing this weekend. I saw a few of you were going to do it together.

Tetra 11-28-2015 06:01 PM

I like the idea of self care.
I also drink herbal teas, and I sit down with a book in the evening for an hour or two. My concentration has improved enormously and I'm on my third book this week.

I'm also quite shy and last year I was freaking out about my brothers wedding. I went to my therapist for advice and he said to dress nicely and do something for myself like a facial or a massage or something. So I went for a facial and I got my make up done at the salon the morning of the wedding and I felt great.
It's things like that that make me feel good.
My best friend told me "be good to yourself. Go for walks. Read your books. Drink your fancy coffees" and she was spot on.

Soberpotamus 11-28-2015 06:06 PM

Books, coffee, walks ... yeah, I love all those too, Tetra :)

I can do without manis, pedis, and facials though, lol. I won't even go to a hairdresser anymore. Mr. Potamus cuts my hair! I taught him how.

Reading was tough for me at first. I was such a reader when I was younger, and have always been, but the drinking definitely hurt my concentration and focus. I had to be sober for about two years before I could read through a full novel. I was able to read nonfiction easily though, and read lots of books on recovery early on. That really helped me.

MLD51 11-28-2015 06:07 PM

I made it without smoking until last night. Sneaked one and then another today. But it's a vast improvement and I'll keep going. None tomorrow. I know now that I actually can do it. The two I smoked really did nothing for me.

tursiops999 11-28-2015 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Melina (Post 5665447)
What do you do for self care? What does comfort look like to you? Is it a shopping spree, what kind of meal, a nap, a chat with a friend, a strenuous workout? All ideas welcome, gracias

xoxo

Hi Melina -- not super obvious at all!! I have trouble with self-care as well.

I'm pretty good at the kind of self-care that overlaps with chores ... like buying healthy food, getting all my laundry done, or going to pilates classes. But it's harder for me to do the things that are purely for fun.

I occasionally buy fresh flowers for myself, and sometimes get massages. One self-care thing that I like is to pause & enjoy something beautiful ... like if I'm taking a walk and see a hummingbird, actually stop and watch it until it flies away. If the sunset is beautiful, sit down and watch it, all the way through, even while a voice in my head says I'm "wasting" an hour. I like to buy blank journals for writing ... they kinda pile up but eventually I find uses for them, different topics in different journals.

biminiblue 11-28-2015 06:13 PM

Good night, friends. Well done on chatting our way to part II.

Sleep well in your snuggy pink leopard jammies and with your books and tea. Me, just a kitteh and flannel sheets and a pile of blankets.

Soberwolf 11-28-2015 06:13 PM

Just to let you guys know chat is up and running

Soberpotamus 11-28-2015 06:20 PM

Bim, sounds cozy to me :)

wehav2day 11-28-2015 06:22 PM

Bimini, I agree that Windows puts out a good one every other try. I had Windows xp until wellll after 7 came out! And I still have 7. :)

Bubble and squeak is basically Brussels sprouts and mashed potatoes pan fried together. It supposedly bubbles and squeaks as it cooks. It's delish. My partner is British so we do the American thanksgiving followed later by leftovers and bubble and squeak. And tomorrow I start a 14 day detox. I am bloated and all my old bad eating habits are back with a vengeance.

Melina, you are awesome. I personally think self care is a personal choice. I see it as whatever cares for your body, mind and spirit. It can be your favorite tea, fizzy water, prayer, exercise, meditation, tread that make you happy, whatever.

Right now self care for me is going to be getting my eating back on track. Two weeks from now it might be meditating more. I try to go with the flow and listen to myself.

Soberpotamus 11-28-2015 06:25 PM

Soberwolf, I like the new signature and photo you chose. That movie and story was great :)

Behan 11-28-2015 06:31 PM

Part 2. Well done us!

Goodnight Bim.

Bubble and squeak, perfect comfort food and a favourite of my grandfather.

Took us hours to settle junior. Inconsolable crying that rattles your spine and screams you are incompetent. I then held him as I sometimes do, with his head resting under my chin and hummed in a deep voice. I think it's meant to approximate the womb. He's fast asleep now. Where I need to go myself...

Goodnight sober friends. Thanks for being here for me.

B

LBrain 11-28-2015 06:46 PM

Behan, he needs a fairy tale like mother goose or something

good night everyone.

I didn't see a song posted on part 2 yet...
how about some "heavy metal" ?
too bad you can't get the full effect of the super fuzz on this youtube version, but it's a decent song, somehow I started singing 'slipstream' to myself which got me to the aqualung album of course... songs pop into my head out of the blue - gray?

brynn 11-28-2015 06:53 PM

Sweet dreams daddy Behan :)

On self care....I do the same thing with trying to really enjoy something beautiful....a butterfly, a leaf, a cloud....it's a form of mindfulness I think, but I'm seeing the world almost as a child does and the little things are amazing! Keeps me grounded and helps me see there's more going on than my silly little problems.

Veggies and cornbread for dinner. A real meal, yay!

LBrain 11-28-2015 06:56 PM

aw, one more
Dedicated to Weasel and everyone.