Notices

A Newcomers Weekender Thread Nov 27 Pt 2

Old 11-29-2015, 11:00 PM
  # 241 (permalink)  

I'm having ice cream in bed and I'm about to start a new Isabel Allende book I downloaded last night.

I feel very nauseous... nothing alarming, I have Crohn's disease so I'm used to having random symptoms. But it doesn't feel good. I don't think dairy is good for nausea but I don't care.

Maybe chamomile after that if it gets worse.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:31 PM
  # 242 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I can't remember if you said you smoked Melina so this may not apply but I heard smoking can aggravate Crohns symptoms
Old 11-29-2015, 11:39 PM
  # 243 (permalink)  

I do and it does, Sao :/

Although I did not smoke today! The first time I've gone 24 hours in I don't know how long!
Old 11-30-2015, 12:00 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Well done Melina - the first 24 hours has got to be the hardest
Old 11-30-2015, 01:36 AM
  # 245 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Morning sober team. I have a busy work week so will be limited in my keeping up.

To all the newcomers please keep checking in here until the new weekender starts Thursday morning around 5 EST.

If you stayed sober this weekend keep it going. Speak up about what worked so you can visualize it and remember it for next time.

If you drank then today is a perfect day to start new armed with what did not work. Again come here and share what happened. This is a judgement free zone so you can speak and learn. There is a lot of weekender sober time and maybe we can offer more than just a good ear. Lots of tips to share.

For me... I had a rough emotional week off. But I am back to work and routine today. Excited to arrive at my desk and get going.

Talk later folks!!!!

Remember to smile. Happiness is a muscle so give it a flex!!!

Ken
Old 11-30-2015, 01:48 AM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Melina View Post
I do and it does, Sao :/

Although I did not smoke today! The first time I've gone 24 hours in I don't know how long!
Kudos!
Old 11-30-2015, 04:08 AM
  # 247 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Went to bed early and missed JS posting about drinking. I have PM'd her this morning.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:19 AM
  # 248 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Originally Posted by Jsbodhi View Post
Im in my bed now.
Thanks guys, I was going to go off the deep end.
Just going to sleep now
Hey JS.... How are you doing this morning?
Old 11-30-2015, 04:32 AM
  # 249 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I went for a swim in the deep end last August JS. Definitely not worth it. Dump it all out and get back here ASAP.

We had company for Thanksgiving and they left some beer and booze here at my house. Yesterday when my son was packing up to drive back to college Mrs Nons gave it to him to take back. It was stuff she wouldn't ordinarily drink. I know she just wanted it out of the house so I wouldn't be tempted. I was butt-hurt (sulky) for about 10 minutes about that. Why you got to get it out of the house? I wasn't gonna drink it anyways, said the voice in my head.

Suddenly I realized whose voice that was! D'Oh! That old sneaky rascal! Get back in your box, I am plugging your air hole!

Happy Monday Y'all!
Old 11-30-2015, 04:46 AM
  # 250 (permalink)  

I hope you feel better today Jsbodhi xx

Well my dad brought me down to earth with a bang about the job. He said it's been two months since I applied and clearly they couldn't find anyone else. He does have years of experience of being on interview boards so I do appreciate his honesty

Still, I see no harm at all in attending an interview. It's all good experience for me and at least now I am kind of in a place of peace within myself and I've stopped being sick before interviews.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:06 AM
  # 251 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

All the more reason to ask for more money, Tetra. If you feel the job would be something you'll like, that is. Go to the interview, feel it out, then decide. And, like you said, it's all good experience.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:35 AM
  # 252 (permalink)  

G'morning guys,

Not much time to post before running out the door this morning. Going to be a long day; wasn't able to get much sleep last night. Guess my sleep schedule got a littles skewed over the Thanksgiving holiday. I'll certainly fall into bed tonight after a twelve hour day today. Hope everyone's doing well. Thinking of you today, Jen. And I'm with Marty, Tetra, I'd ask for more money if I were you. Ken, sorry things got a bit emotional for you, and glad you're back to your routine Happy Monday, guys.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:42 AM
  # 253 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Good Monday morning y'all!

Check in when you can Jen

(((BB))) hope today flies by.

Chiro this morning. Might have to accidently stop for some donuts on the way
Old 11-30-2015, 05:42 AM
  # 254 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. We all move back to a normal schedule. Slowly getting ready for work. Mr. Ruby is home this morning and dropping kids at school so that's a tiny break for me.

JS, hope you are in better spirits this morning. We're here for you. It happened. You can get beyond it.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:53 AM
  # 255 (permalink)  

Lemme put another interpretation on this POV, Tetra...

'He said it's been two months since I applied and clearly they couldn't find anyone else'

I Interviewed loads of Candidates, and Managed Techie Types. The first thing that jumped out at me from your Post is:

1. This Company didn't find the right 'fit' of Person. A Candidate had to have an adequate CV, but they had to click with all of us who Interviewed them in this Round-Robin style that was in vogue. We'd then compare Notes to see if the Candidate's Story stayed the same when fatigued in the Afternoon Interviews.

2. A Person got hired at this Company, and was a disaster, in terms of 'fit'. Or, they promptly jumped Ship because some other Company accepted them for a Job they Interviewed for, and wanted more.

Hey, Life Emergencies arise. Review other Threads here. Someone gets in a Car Crash, and needs care from the Interviewee. So, they take the Job, and have to quit.

A General Rule is that ~1 Year is the elapsed time you want to stick with a Job to not look like a Flake.

Da Wife interviewed a Teacher, and all found him to be thee one to hire. He came out from a schnooty East Coast Town; got a dose of the 'Cow Town' he'd actually accepted the Teaching Job in; and turned around and drove 'Home'. Never worked a Day. Al_righty then! She was Gobsmacked.

My long-winded point is to not go into this Interview thinking you're the last Girl to get asked to Dance at the Prom. Interview them. In a subtle way, see if their Story about why this Position is still unfilled is consistent, and makes sense. Try to see if you'll click with your immediate Supervisor.

It's tough to get Salary Increases once hired because your leverage evaporates. Suss them out, and adjust your Bottom Line Salary expectations accordingly.

EDIT: Sao makes a good point I'd forgotten about. Companies will try to get you to commit to your Salary expectation. Don't answer. They're hoping that what you'll settle for will save them Money.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:55 AM
  # 256 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hope you feel better for sleeping Jen

Tetra - my take would be to accept the interview with salary "as is" then, if they offer you the job, you could mention it them

My youngest daughter may have been onto something when she said it would make financial sense to ship her 8 year old Mustang back to the UK. Charles Dance (Game of Thrones etc) is selling his beautifully restored 1967 roadster ($40,000est)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20151130_135215.jpg (52.8 KB, 60 views)
Old 11-30-2015, 06:14 AM
  # 257 (permalink)  

Sao ~

These are The Big Dogs of Auto Auctions. I put in some Mustang details under 'Results', and got 4 Pages back on what Best Of Class Autos net $$$.

- Barrett - Jackson Auto Auctions -

Pros safely hauling Cars around is a very mature Business here. We've done it once. Easy Peasy. So, you can get a Car to Auction, or to a Buyer in a 'hot' Market, pretty easily. Florida. Southern California. Insured Transit. Yups here got boocoo Money.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:20 AM
  # 258 (permalink)  

Good morning eveyone!
yeah, it's Monday morning and no more staycation. ..boohoo.
but I'm already planning the next one which will be around Christmas. Only 4 weeks away.
I hope you are ok today Jsbodhi, and are able to dust yourself off and move on. Today can be a bright new day for you. And we are here for you.
Ok..time for me to get moving. Dog walk and then to work I go. See you all later.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:44 AM
  # 259 (permalink)  
Do your best

Busy busy busy today havnt had a cup of tea or nowt I love that northern word nowt lol

Hi everyone
Old 11-30-2015, 07:40 AM
  # 260 (permalink)  

well I drove the jeep - yesterday the traction control warning light came on - looking at the forums, there are several causes, some a bit scary, but after reading the manual - very little help - I tried the highway drive at 'speed' and the light reset. Maybe I was being too much of a granny driver this past week. Last thing I need is a 'hundreds of dollars' repair bill. Ah, the days of old, carburetors, spark plugs and rotor... engine compartments you can actually see what's there... and a few fuses...
now everything has a 'computer' and you need a ten thousand dollar machine to find out what's wrong...

Tetra - I applied for a job some months ago. It took two months for them to get back to me. Of course it was a gubment job so it's a little different.
I agree with the above advice... interview them - that what it's about anyway... and don't mention your 'asking price' until they offer you a job. I mistakenly thought you already had the offer.

That is my attitude now when - if - I go to an interview. I interview them and they have to prove to me that I should allow them to hire me.
Even for the stupid lowes job, I asked the guy just as many questions as he asked me. I stumped him a few times because I knew a lot more about osha rules the they did. Anyway... get the experience of the interview at least.

Jen, I hope you are well this morning. Put it all behind you and 'reset' your thinking. I had the luxury of avoiding family when I first got sober. I couldn't be near them - one of my biggest triggers at the time. It still takes a lot of effort for me to visit with certain family members. That's why Thanksgiving at home with no-one else (except my wife) was a pleasure. I still avoid 'company' that I had to drink to be around. But I'm getting better and learning how to cope and accept them for who they are. Their life no longer has an effect on me. I can't allow it. But I still choose my time with them very carefully.