Notices

Hello

Old 11-28-2015, 07:08 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I know exactly where you are, I was there too. Every evening I couldn't wait to get home from work so I could start drinking my wine, at least a bottle of more, often with vodka and diet sprite thrown in for good measure. Heck, sometimes I didn't even wait to get home, I would stop and buy a 4-pack of the little chardonnay bottles so I didn't have to wait the 10-minute drive home to get started. On weekends I usually didn't wait for the afternoon. I finally decided that I couldn't do it anymore. One of the best decisions I ever made.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:34 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerWineGirl View Post
I know exactly where you are, I was there too. Every evening I couldn't wait to get home from work so I could start drinking my wine, at least a bottle of more, often with vodka and diet sprite thrown in for good measure. Heck, sometimes I didn't even wait to get home, I would stop and buy a 4-pack of the little chardonnay bottles so I didn't have to wait the 10-minute drive home to get started. On weekends I usually didn't wait for the afternoon. I finally decided that I couldn't do it anymore. One of the best decisions I ever made.
Any tips on how you got through giving up the after work drinks would be appreciated. It is easier for me not to drink on weekends than it is to not drink after work. I know I need to find another way to unwind.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:35 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Augusta, glad to read your post! I felt the same way as you! Know one really had any clue I had a problem, my husband didn't even know. Those first thirty days were the hardest for me, I'm just about 18 months now. You can do this. Aa meetings helped me to find friends who don't drink and eventually telling drinking buddies that I was no longer drinking helped. I have two boys, they are also the lights of my life. My relationship with them is completely different t now. They know I gave up drinking and they are so proud of me, it feels great. You can private message me if you need anything.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:40 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Changing your after work routine could help Augusta - go home a different way, go to the gym instead, talk a walk at dusk - anything that breaks the associations.

D
Old 11-28-2015, 07:49 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi Augusta! Welcome! Why don't you join the November 2015 class? There are 57 of us fighting for sobriety ranging from 1-30ish days. It's an AWESOME group! Pop on over & join us!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-4-a.html
Old 11-28-2015, 07:53 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks Hereandnow2. Right now just admitting it here is all the courage I can muster. I hope to tell people in the near future I don't drink anymore.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:22 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Augusta1893 View Post
Any tips on how you got through giving up the after work drinks would be appreciated. It is easier for me not to drink on weekends than it is to not drink after work. I know I need to find another way to unwind.
Much of it, especially after work, was habit for me. I loved the familiar feel of the wine glass in my hand. For awhile after I first quit, I mixed white grape juice and seltzer water and drank it out of a wine glass in the evenings while cooking dinner. Note that this is something that is frowned-upon by some sobriety groups and I am not recommending it, just saying what helped me in the beginning. Best of luck to you, I wish all that want and need it to feel how wonderful it is to be sober!!
Old 11-29-2015, 08:17 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I agree it is mostly about habit for me. If I don't have that first glass of wine after I get home I am usually fine. It is the taste, and the ritual but unfortunately one turns in to many. I will use whatever tools necessary to break that cycle. To me. that sounds like a good one.

I know overall I need to change my patterns but this may help in the beginning get over the hump.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:43 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Augusta!!
Old 11-29-2015, 05:44 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Augusta how are you today?
Old 11-29-2015, 06:02 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
The hoop you have to jump through is a lot wider than you think!

It is scary. And none of us really know how we got to this point. But you're not helpless. I often wonder why I can't drink like other people. It's very frustrating to be so different. When I quit drinking I felt like I lost my best friend. It's not willpower you have to rely on a power greater than yourself even if it is a sober alcoholic.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:27 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I'm hanging in there Hereandnow2. Thanks for asking. I did not sleep well at all last night but I hope that will pass in the next few days. I spent the day cleaning, cooking, and getting ready for the week in general. The day went by quickly and I spent my wine time walking on my treadmill instead of drinking. Tuesday or Wednesday evening seems to be my downfall. It won't be this time. I will be posting here instead and holding myself accountable.

I really want to get back in to fitness. I used to either run or lift weights every day. I think that helps with my mood and keeps me motivated not to drink. Why work out and then drink all those calories back?
Old 11-29-2015, 06:34 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
The hoop you have to jump through is a lot wider than you think!

Getting in the fitness is the best thing you can do