Notices

I want to give up

Old 11-27-2015, 06:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I want to give up

I feel like such a failure. I just realized it was almost a YEAR ago that I wrote about going to jail for the first time. Since then I've been to jail two more times and still drink on occasion.
It's very frustrating because the rest of my life is starting to go well.
I don't want to lose an incredible new man in my life because of this. I also walked into my new job sort of drunk once and was fortunate no one who could fire me saw. But a few people did.

I feel like I've tried and failed so many times I can't imagine completely succeeding. Every time I get a few weeks behind me I stop feeling like I have a problem and a drink seems like not such a big deal.

Last night I drank a bottle of wine and three beers. This morning I drank three more beers. I am SO lucky I stopped. I've ended up on two day benders drinking in the morning. My anxiety has been through the roof all day. I hate my brain.

Well I have no choice but to keep trying. I think I made a mistake when I left this board for another one so I'm back here and plan to check in every single day for the next year.
Feel free to give advice if you want but I'm mainly writing to just stop feeling so alone with all this.
Thanks for reading
Old 11-27-2015, 06:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back!
Old 11-27-2015, 06:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Don't give up! Keep trying - something will click.
Can you get all of the alcohol out of your house? That might help deter drinking in the morning.
Keep checking in here. I'm pulling for you!
Old 11-27-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back, Redladyslipper!

Do not give up, ever. This disease is relentless and it will not stop. Have faith that you can do this and recover. Keep reading and posting here, too.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Are you going to AA too? You might try both. It works for some people. Hang in there!

KIR
Old 11-27-2015, 07:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

glad you're back, redladyslipper.
it took me a gazillion tries, but finally i got it.
some of the things that helped me cement in my sobriety was daily contact on a recovery forum, daily reading of books with other peoples' "stories" of how they went about it, a weekly meeting, and changing some routines.

stick around and see what's working for others and if that's something you'd be willing to do.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

You may currently feel like a failure but feelings aren't facts, maybe turn it around and realized this is your turning point and now you can try sobriety again. It took me 25 years to stay stopped, so it can be done and we can rebuild a life at the age of 50 (I did), so keep trying!!!

Hugs and Love to you,
~SB
Old 11-27-2015, 08:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome back! You can do this.

For me it started to really work when I gave up. Gave up the fantasy that I didn't have a problem and could drink like a normal person. I'll never, ever drink like a normal person. That ship has sailed.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome back.

Sobriety is a tough journey but it way better than being drunk. You will start to face your problems. Can't fix a negative with a negative.

Best of luck to you
Old 11-27-2015, 08:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Withdrawal would always leave me convinced I could not survive without a drink. You sound like you are scared. It's a starting place . I remember the feeling. An arrest record will make it harder for you to get through life. Sounds like drinking is not your friend. You can do it. I got sober here. I love this place. You can find support here.
Old 11-28-2015, 05:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I appreciate all these quick responses. As much as I don't want to, I'm gonna find some AA meetings in my area. I had some problems with the program but being around other non-drinkers with similar stories was helpful.

Mostly I don't want to because it's a very small town where I'm sure to run into members from time to time, but I want to take advantage of EVERYTHING within my reach.

I feel much better, more hopeful today. Drinking a lot always raises my anxiety real high the day it wears off. Maybe it's withdrawal, maybe it's because denial is temporarily gone and I can see plainly the horror I'm up against Or both.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

You can do this Red were rootin for you all the way
Old 11-28-2015, 07:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I understand the horror of what you're up against, the remorse and the general feeling of anxiety. The further away from my last drink I got, the better all that became.

I hope you make it stick this time. Keep posting and keep reading, this place has a lot of collective wisdom.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back

D