Notices

The consequences....

Old 11-27-2015, 02:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The consequences....

So I am only 12 days sober but the fog is finally lifting....which is good AND bad.

For the past 2 years I have been binge drinking 2-4 times per week. Lots of consequences but one that has really got me down today is the weight gain from my drinking! I saw a photo of myself from yesterday I looked like a fat arse! I know it sounds very vain, but I was raised with a family that looks down on overweight people & their love was very conditional. It sucked.

Anyway...I was 135 lbs when I started drinking heavily 2 years ago (beer, mixed drinks & shots) and now I'm 185! In 2 years the ONLY thing I changed was I started drinking heavily! Ugh.

So anyway...I'm feeling pretty bad about myself right now but at least I am sober. Any tips (besides staying sober)? Did anyone else gain weight and lose it after staying sober?

Thanks so much!
Old 11-27-2015, 02:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Kiki...all those extra calories do add up. But weight loss is a lot like not drinking. Simple, but not easy. Calories in vs Calories out. As long as the latter it's more than the prior, you will lose "weight" The reality is we want to lose fat, which is what you will do! Slow and steady. .."one day at a time.
Old 11-27-2015, 02:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Badger is right. It took 2 years to put it on. It'll take awhile to take it off. But you're not going to be taking in all those alcohol calories. I've lost about 15 pounds in 2 1/2 months. I put in an exercise program along with a stop to drinking.
Old 11-27-2015, 02:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Badger. You're right. I guess I just need some stories of hope.

And jd, your story is exactly the kind I needed to hear!

Thx guys!
Old 11-27-2015, 02:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Kiki my story is the same as yours. I am 18 days sober. I am in rehab and so therefore obliged to eat 3 healthy meals a day, exercise and drink litres of water. I have actually lost 8kgs which is about 17lbs. That pale podgy bloated look is disappearing daily before my very eyes. So be patient, look after yourself, eat plenty of fresh fruit veg fish and protein.. drink as much water as you can. and walk walk walk. I am sure you will lose the extra weight in no time. Good luck.
Old 11-27-2015, 02:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

First off Kiki I think you are seriously awesome I have seen the way you help your home group and it is uplifting inspiring & touching

I did gain weight at first I had to I went without eating so many days in a row it affected my weight badly so I was happy really happy putting on a lil fat

I went on a diet around months 7,8 +9 eating only chicken, turkey & vegtables

I then put on a bit more weight when my alopecia first struck around month 14 but then recently I started a road to christmas thread to lose a lil weight I started off with small walks around the block then was walking 5 mile walks averaging 20 miles a week

I lost the weight & I'm saving up for weights now amongst other things like decent jogging shoes

You are amazing KiKi
Old 11-27-2015, 02:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fabat50 View Post
Kiki my story is the same as yours. I am 18 days sober. I am in rehab and so therefore obliged to eat 3 healthy meals a day, exercise and drink litres of water. I have actually lost 8kgs which is about 17lbs. That pale podgy bloated look is disappearing daily before my very eyes. So be patient, look after yourself, eat plenty of fresh fruit veg fish and protein.. drink as much water as you can. and walk walk walk. I am sure you will lose the extra weight in no time. Good luck.
Wow! 17 lbs in 18 days? That's amazing!!! I could definitely stand to increase my exercise & water intake! I will do that!

*Since your sobriety date is in November, why don't you join the November 2015 class? We have 49 classmates and it is an awesome source of support and accountability from people who are going thru the same phase. I hope to see you there and thx for your reply to my post!

Stay strong!
Old 11-27-2015, 03:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KiKi0615 View Post
Wow! 17 lbs in 18 days? That's amazing!!! I could definitely stand to increase my exercise & water intake! I will do that!

*Since your sobriety date is in November, why don't you join the November 2015 class? We have 49 classmates and it is an awesome source of support and accountability from people who are going thru the same phase. I hope to see you there and thx for your reply to my post!

Stay strong!
What is the Nov 2015 class? How do I join it?

PS Yes my weight loss is rapid at the moment but I had been drinking 2 bottles of wine a day for as long as I can remember and also I am heavier than you. I think the inital weight loss dépends on your starting weight.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

What is the Nov 2015 class? How do I join it?
This fabat.http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-4-a.html
Old 11-27-2015, 03:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
First off Kiki I think you are seriously awesome I have seen the way you help your home group and it is uplifting inspiring & touching I did gain weight at first I had to I went without eating so many days in a row it affected my weight badly so I was happy really happy putting on a lil fat I went on a diet around months 7,8 +9 eating only chicken, turkey & vegtables I then put on a bit more weight when my alopecia first struck around month 14 but then recently I started a road to christmas thread to lose a lil weight I started off with small walks around the block then was walking 5 mile walks averaging 20 miles a week I lost the weight & I'm saving up for weights now amongst other things like decent jogging shoes You are amazing KiKi
Awww...that's very nice of you to say Wolf. I just want ALL of us to stay sober & helping others helps me stay sober. :-) It helps me to not feel sorry for myself. This disease is relentless and I am so tired of seeing it kill people. I lost my aunt, cousin, almost lost another cousin & 4 friends to this disease in the past 5 years.

OH...and I really appreciate all of YOUR support! You are always popping into our November 2015 class to say hello, good night, offer support etc. :-)

That's great that you lost the weight by walking! How long does it take you to walk 5 miles?
Old 11-27-2015, 03:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Kiki!

Congrats on your 12 days!

I have actually gained 22 pounds in the last six months. I was underweight and malnourished from drinking my calories. I was basically starving myself.

I'm not overweight, if I were getting that way I would try to control the weight gain. I think my body is self regulating.

My point is maybe the weight will come off as you continue a sober life? Your mind will be clearer and that usually helps to make better choices... So maybe it won't be some drastic plan, but the pounds may come off as you replace drinking with exercise and eating sensibly.

I'm no expert, but I think it may be better to lose the weight slowly. The body healing from alcohol abuse is a miraculous thing. It's been one of the most amazing parts of this journey. You may even gain a little more before you lose some.

Glad you're here! Don't deny yourself the ice cream in the beginning... I find it really helps with cravings.

Instead of beating yourself about the weight, I hope you realize how monumental it is that you aren't going to drink anymore. That's so fantastic!
Old 11-27-2015, 03:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What is the Nov 2015 class? How do I join it? PS Yes my weight loss is rapid at the moment but I had been drinking 2 bottles of wine a day for as long as I can remember and also I am heavier than you. I think the inital weight loss dépends on your starting weight.
It looks like jd sent you a link. JOIN US! Here are our current classmates. I will add you to the class list & I update it daily. :-) Just send me a private message or reply here if you want me to add you and how many days you have. I check our November thread several times per day. I feel like I "know" many of the people and I really care about them.

GOOD MORNING CLASS!!! IT'S FRIDAY 11/27/15!!!!
:-) Welcome SoulPower89 & got2stopnow to the class! :-)

*****NOTE*****
Some people don't like to count days. If anyone wants me to take them off this list or just put something generic like Jsbodhi has below, no problem!!! OH and send me a PRIVATE MESSAGE if I need to change anything. :-)

We are STRONGER TOGETHER!!!

Gifford -21 days
Canguy -19 days
HealthyGoals -12 days
Me (KiKi) -12 days
Patricia -? days
StrangeAngel -"working her butt off!" :-)
Pams -12 days
GoldenSands -13 days
CurlyGirl -22 days
KeepNitreal -20 days
BlackBirdFly -13 days
Noolan -8 days
SwimKim - 3 days
MeShelly -13 days
Thumbelina -28 days
Lisa247 -7 days
WalkTheLine-7 days
Supertired -13 days
Jsbodhi - "in between 30 days somewhere" :-)
Max74 -27 days
DariaM -7 days
ForeverFuzzy -8 days
BadSneakers -18 days
Jemma44 -19 days
Blondsober -5 days
Snowvelvet -23 days
GoldCoastGirl -6 days
Rivelino -6 days
TheRake -6 days
Badger257 -13 days
Odelle -6 days
Tufty13 -26 days
TryinginTexas - 13 days
Onetimeless -21 days
Dallow - 5 days
Learntofly -34 days
Faithfulandfree - 5 days
Tootsiesdad -19 days
SoberMarathon -5 days
Introspectator- 12 days
RedAndy -13 days
Jackie1214 -4 days
Neverthought - ? days
Rah555 -4 days
Alphonse -10 days
amitranjan04 -3 days
ultradad -7 days
SoulPower89 - ? days
got2stopnow -5 days

49 CLASSMATES!

*REMEMBER-all we REALLY have is TODAY...this 24 hours. It's not a race. There is no shame in starting over as long as we NEVER GIVE UP!!! There is no graduation; just a wonderful journey into the happiness and amazing life we all deserve...
Old 11-27-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Kiki I stopped binge drinking in August, I've had a couple of slips but no more bingeing. I've lost 6lbs without trying too hard. I just walk more (you can't really go for a brisk walk drunk!), I eat healthy (no more junky snacks that go so well with my drink), and I drink gallons of water a day.

Give it a few weeks and you'll soon see how the pounds drop! xoxo
Old 11-27-2015, 03:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Melina View Post
Hi Kiki! Congrats on your 12 days! I have actually gained 22 pounds in the last six months. I was underweight and malnourished from drinking my calories. I was basically starving myself. I'm not overweight, if I were getting that way I would try to control the weight gain. I think my body is self regulating. My point is maybe the weight will come off as you continue a sober life? Your mind will be clearer and that usually helps to make better choices... So maybe it won't be some drastic plan, but the pounds may come off as you replace drinking with exercise and eating sensibly. I'm no expert, but I think it may be better to lose the weight slowly. The body healing from alcohol abuse is a miraculous thing. It's been one of the most amazing parts of this journey. You may even gain a little more before you lose some. Glad you're here! Don't deny yourself the ice cream in the beginning... I find it really helps with cravings. Instead of beating yourself about the weight, I hope you realize how monumental it is that you aren't going to drink anymore. That's so fantastic!
Wow, thanks for this Melina! I really appreciate you taking the time to post this. It gives me so much hope! :-)
Old 11-27-2015, 03:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by patricia68 View Post
Kiki I stopped binge drinking in August, I've had a couple of slips but no more bingeing. I've lost 6lbs without trying too hard. I just walk more (you can't really go for a brisk walk drunk!), I eat healthy (no more junky snacks that go so well with my drink), and I drink gallons of water a day. Give it a few weeks and you'll soon see how the pounds drop! xoxo
Thanks so much. I need to step up my exercise ASAP! :-) I hope you're doing well Patricia!
Old 11-27-2015, 03:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Kiki, one of the things that I found was that when I drank, not only did I act stupidly, but I ate stupidly too. I got myself up around 300 lbs due to my drinking, eating poorly, and a really sedentary lifestyle. I now have a little more than a year of sobriety under my belt and it is amazing what eliminating the liquid calories and making better choices will do for you.

I started trying to lose weight a little while before I was finally ready to quit the bottle for good due to the impact it was having on my health and over the past 16 months or so I have lost 100 lbs and am now at a very appropriate for my height 200 lbs. Badger nailed it when he said that it is all about calories in vs. calories out and maintaining sobriety makes that equation so much easier. Good for you for taking the steps necessary to take control over your health and happiness. Just know that sobriety and weight loss both take work; they don't happen magically or overnight (something that frustrates the heck out of us alcoholics ), but they are so worthwhile.

Last edited by Brauggi; 11-27-2015 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Giant paragraph chunk
Old 11-27-2015, 04:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

If you stop drinking you will likely lose some weight.

And you might find that your wallet is a little bit heavier!
Old 11-27-2015, 05:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
If you stop drinking you will likely lose some weight.

And you might find that your wallet is a little bit heavier!
Very true!
Old 11-27-2015, 06:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
If you stop drinking you will likely lose some weight. And you might find that your wallet is a little bit heavier!
This is so true. Finally for the first time in years our tab for food at a restaurant is more than for beverages.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Brauggi View Post
Kiki, one of the things that I found was that when I drank, not only did I act stupidly, but I ate stupidly too. I got myself up around 300 lbs due to my drinking, eating poorly, and a really sedentary lifestyle. I now have a little more than a year of sobriety under my belt and it is amazing what eliminating the liquid calories and making better choices will do for you. I started trying to lose weight a little while before I was finally ready to quit the bottle for good due to the impact it was having on my health and over the past 16 months or so I have lost 100 lbs and am now at a very appropriate for my height 200 lbs. Badger nailed it when he said that it is all about calories in vs. calories out and maintaining sobriety makes that equation so much easier. Good for you for taking the steps necessary to take control over your health and happiness. Just know that sobriety and weight loss both take work; they don't happen magically or overnight (something that frustrates the heck out of us alcoholics ), but they are so worthwhile.
Wow!!! 100 lbs is amazing! Lots of hope for me! Thank you thank you thank you & congrats to you!