Notices

A Newcomers Weekender Thread Nov 27

Old 11-27-2015, 06:29 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Olive1 View Post
I just cannot figure out how those boot thingies work. Do you stick your heel in the fork and then somehow step on the flat part to pull your foot out? In my head it looks like some solo version of twister.
As far as I can tell, yes, Olive. That's how it works. I need help, lol. My husband has to take them off. I've gotten them off twice, but barely, and in the process, I heard ankle bones cracking, and I had to lie flat on my back in order to get them off. Ridiculous
Old 11-27-2015, 06:29 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sao it is mild today apparantly rain on the way & weather warnings for winds over the weekend I'm can hear it picking up
Old 11-27-2015, 06:31 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Laurels? What laurels? I'll never let my guard down. I know way too many people who figured it would be okay to have a cocktail now and then after decades of sobriety. Only to end up hitting yet another rock bottom, sometimes within weeks. That AV goes dormant, but it's always there, waiting to rear its ugly head and lure us into danger.

Melina - I know what you mean about the flat feeling. Wasn't sobriety supposed to be shiny and happy and fun??? I went through a period of thinking "I quit drinking, now where is my exciting new life?" And being a bit depressed that not much had really changed. So I am learning to appreciate small sober moments and victories. And I also know it's up to me to make those bigger changes, if I decide I want them. They don't just happen.

Not sure what's going on today. I know I'm staying away from stores (except the grocery store). I'll do a bit of shopping tomorrow on small business Saturday. There are a few shops here in my town that deserve a bit of my money. I might work on a couple of organizing projects that were started but not finished. My son will probably sleep until 10 or so, so I'm just sitting with kitties and coffee for now.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:31 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Olive1 View Post
I just cannot figure out how those boot thingies work. Do you stick your heel in the fork and then somehow step on the flat part to pull your foot out? In my head it looks like some solo version of twister.

Good morning Sober Enders!
Happy Friday!!!
I used to bring home turkey carcasses too.

Boot jacks don't come with instructions. But Olive, you don't need them

I should get one like that. Sometimes it's comical watching me take off my hunting boots.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:34 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  

I googled and saw all kinds of boot jacks on the Amazon UK site, but very few on the US site! Wish I had more choices.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:35 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone! Lovely pics Melina. It looks so delicious. Puts my poor efforts to shame.

I'm glad you all are well this morning. Brain is right that the flat feeling fades eventually. We all spent so much time filling that hole with drinking that when drinking is taken out of the picture we're left with the hole. Trial and error life lessons on how to fill it in other ways.

I'm dropping my kids at the local gymnastics center for 3 hours of bouncing around. They're billing it as a special to allow parents to go shopping on black Friday. I never shop on black Friday. The "black death" of shopping days. I hate crowds. I just want the kids to get exercise. I may go to a meeting at 10:30 instead.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:40 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  

MLD and Ruby...right on!
Old 11-27-2015, 06:42 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Busy this morning on this thread.

It's cold and rainy this morning. I have yet to see the full moon sk I guess I missed my opportunity.

Non, that deep fried turkey story was funny and frightening at the same time. So many people are badly burned every year in fryer mishaps and alcohol probably is a factor in many of them.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:43 AM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
We all spent so much time filling that hole with drinking that when drinking is taken out of the picture we're left with the hole. Trial and error life lessons on how to fill it in other ways.
Excellent description.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:07 AM
  # 230 (permalink)  

I'm new

Hi everyone! I'm new here. I hope everyone has a wonderful day!
Old 11-27-2015, 07:07 AM
  # 231 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Good Morning, Enders!

Well, I survived. And that what it felt like, just survival. So thank you, Melina- for articulating what I was feeling but didn't understand why....

I think I expected to feel more triumphant about being sober today. But it wasn't hard to be sober. It isn't hard any day to be sober anymore. I hadn't expected it to be hard, but I thought it would be more exciting.

I need to keep this in the back of my mind for the rest of the holidays, and the wisdom from the others that it does lift.

Preparing for battle I can do; I have a great attitude going in, but once in the situation, not sure what it is I expect. Fireworks and a parade? Perhaps I'm just way too absorbed in my own head.

I'm very grateful to not be chasing the buzz anymore- that in itself is such a relief!

Now off to put up some decorations....wishing you all a Friday Funday.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:21 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  
waking down

Some words of wizdumb about nonattachment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXX6KMOt4q4
Old 11-27-2015, 07:24 AM
  # 233 (permalink)  

I never dropped a turkey but I did drop a tv. I was carrying it down the hallway to my bedroom and boom! I dropped it. Bye bye tv. The things we did drunk-could be a whole new thread. I just really grateful that I never really hurt myself.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:29 AM
  # 234 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Ashwee1 View Post
Hi everyone! I'm new here. I hope everyone has a wonderful day!
Welcome Ashwee
Old 11-27-2015, 07:32 AM
  # 235 (permalink)  

Hi Ashwee1!!! Welcome!
I gotta warn everyone. ...I'm going to be here all day. I am parked on my recliner with a good book on a cold and nasty day. I may not leave the house all day. So I'll probably hang out here on SR!
Old 11-27-2015, 07:41 AM
  # 236 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Hi, Ashwee!!
Old 11-27-2015, 07:45 AM
  # 237 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Ha, Zero! Indeed....attached to un-attachment!
Old 11-27-2015, 07:46 AM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
Laurels? What laurels? I'll never let my guard down. I know way too many people who figured it would be okay to have a cocktail now and then after decades of sobriety. Only to end up hitting yet another rock bottom, sometimes within weeks. That AV goes dormant, but it's always there, waiting to rear its ugly head and lure us into danger.

Melina - I know what you mean about the flat feeling. Wasn't sobriety supposed to be shiny and happy and fun??? I went through a period of thinking "I quit drinking, now where is my exciting new life?" And being a bit depressed that not much had really changed. So I am learning to appreciate small sober moments and victories. And I also know it's up to me to make those bigger changes, if I decide I want them. They don't just happen.
Please everyone read this again ^^^^^^^^^^^^

There are two parts to it. Understand them both.

Well, I unloaded the dishwasher, and put in the rest. After the third unsuccessful try to start it, I just let it sit. After a few minutes it just decided to go for it. Timing circuit? I'm sure it's solid state. A few times over the past couple weeks I stood there and begged it to run. Sometimes it does and sometimes I just walk away in disgust and try later. It has a mind of its own - kinda like a real wife now that I think about it.

Finishing breakfast. 2 chocolate chip cookies I brought home and a slice of apple pie from the local baker. One of the best apple pies I've had in a long time. And it's been a long time since I had an apple pie.
Finish second cup, shower and gather tools, make targets etc. load up and off I go.
Already packed lunch for the wife. Guess what she's having? If you guessed t-day leftovers you're not as smart as you think you are. But you would be correct.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:52 AM
  # 239 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Welcome aboard ashwee!

Good stuff Marty. Really good stuff.

Good morning gang! I'm still trying to wake up and get oriented but I already know I'm not going shopping today! The last of my Christmas shopping can wait. I'll be hanging around today too, HAF....maybe take down my fall decorations and get Christmas stuff out. Or not. We'll see
Old 11-27-2015, 07:55 AM
  # 240 (permalink)  

Good morning all!

Happy black friday! Knell before the alter of rampant capitalism and buy more stuff.

Hi Ashee! Welcome to the weekender. Love the avatar.

Melina, may I compliment your fabulous cooking. Those pics!! Smoked turkey!! Wowsers!

Glad to hear everyone got through T Day in one piece. If you didn't, dust yourself off and start again.

B