Notices

600 days

Old 11-24-2015, 06:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

600 days

Today is my 600th day into this journey of becoming sober. The day I got sober was April 3rd 2014. The day after I went to a friend who I attended high school with funeral. When I left and blessed myself with the holy water I thought as I crossed the threshold of the church and breathed in the fresh crisp air from outside that I was still breathing and I had the option to still live my life but that option for my friend and friends in the past and family and other people who I've known have passed was over. That's it, it really has me thinking how religiously I smoked weed 3 or more times a day and drank heavily at special occasions or sporting events not remembering much until I saw pictures or had people tell me what happened.

After going to a bar and drinking a few drinks
after the funeral with a friend and going home and smoking it got me thinking about how this can't be my everyday life and continue to get better unless I make a change. I'm not against weed I just wasn't a productive person when I was high and forget the day after a night of drinking me hung over = wasted day or days or hell at work or whatever I had to do. So the next morning I woke up on April 3rd and decided to not smoke and joined sober recovery early that morning and I'm glad I did. The support here is amazing although I don't post often their are always people going out of their way to thank you or give their opinion or shine some light on the matter.

Being 26 it's tough to stay sober but I found a new way to relive stress and anger and I take it all out on the weights at a 24 hour gym close by which is convenient. I'm still a long ways away from were I want to be or who I want to be but I'm just trying to take it all in slowly. I've been challenged a lot this year with surgeries to correct my deviated septum and ankle surgery to fix previous ankle injuries had some setbacks finically and worked a whole lot this summer to try to get back on track and when I did I hit the gym hard frequently as well as work and lost my girl friend in the process of not paying enough attention to her and didn't realize until I was too late. I probably could have done things a lot differently I can't sit here and dwell on the past which is a problem for me as I sit here alone in our apartment until I move out before the new year.

I have found that cherish life a lot more when your sober I'm more emotional and I take things in a lot more and remember a lot more. I appreciate more things. Trying to think I may not have it all but their are others who would die or who are dieing just to be comfortable mentally and financially. Sometimes I feel as if people think I had a drug problem or I got into lots of trouble right before I got sober that was the case when I was a teenager but I had my moment of clarity after that funeral. It reminded me of when my cousin commuted suicide and I was 10 and I was at his funeral when I saw my friends siblings and younger cousins upset and crying it took me back I had a flashback right their and instantly had that same feeling I had had 15 years prior

I don't know what else to say I'm thankful for the strength and courage I have been given to sustain for as long as I have with the many temptation of our everyday lives nowadays to stay sober you really need to remind yourself how far you've come and why throw it all away and turn your back on yourself now.

I attended the Monday football game last night and enjoyed every moment of it from the tailgating to freezing my ass off past midnight up in the nosebleeds in 25 degree weather. It was my best friends birthday and we had the time of our lives. Regardless of who was drinking around me it was just me and him having a good time and living our lives and watching a sport we love like we used to when we were kids. I really took it all in and enjoyed it a lot and can't wait to go back next month to watch New England smash the Titans! Either way it was something I'll never forget.

In closing I hope everyone has a great thanksgiving and if your going Black Friday shopping please be safe! Thanks again everyone for taking the time to read and or reply to my post keep on keeping on theirs always bumps in the road through the road trip of life but don't let it stop you from getting to your destination.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow! Congratulations on 600 days! You're an inspiration. =)
Old 11-24-2015, 06:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 600 days! Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on 600!
Old 11-24-2015, 07:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations Brad!

Old 11-24-2015, 07:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Awesome post. Thank you!
Old 11-24-2015, 07:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Brad

D
Old 11-24-2015, 07:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hiya Brad, congratulations on 600 days!
Old 11-24-2015, 10:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great stuff Brad. I've seen your posts pop up a few times over the last year. Your consistency is awesome. Keep going dude.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on 600 days Brad
Old 11-24-2015, 11:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks Brad, you describe the benefits of sobriety brilliantly.

You sound like you're more emotional mature than some people twice your age.
I wish I'd found sobriety in my twenties.

Congratulations on 600 days, I hope your life and your journey of self improvement continues to get better and better.

Best wishes and thanks for posting.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats brad 600 days is awesome
Old 11-27-2015, 12:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Fantastic Brad!!