SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   This would have been bad 10 months ago (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/379838-would-have-been-bad-10-months-ago.html)

Calicofish 11-24-2015 05:58 PM

This would have been bad 10 months ago

I'm laying in my bed this morning, just chilling with my dog and having a coffee when I get this text message from work telling me I'm scheduled to work today - like an hour ago.! I didn't see the new schedule. I don't think I've ever got dressed so fast in my life. Managed to get to work in 10 mins, not a spot of makeup on.

Now, if that had of been like 10 months ago, I may not have been able to get to work - thinking the night before, I had the day off, I could have very well been super hungover or worse.

Apart from not having on makeup, I was just fine and able to do my job. Sobriety has so many rewards.

CF

Hevyn 11-24-2015 06:06 PM

So very true, CF! What a nice post. :)

suki44883 11-24-2015 06:06 PM

It really does. I remember one evening a while back, I got a call from my daughter telling me that she and her fiance had just had a wreck. A Federal Express 18 wheeler hit them from behind and, while they weren't injured, they needed me to come pick them up.

When I was drinking, I might still have tried to drive out there and pick them up, but there was a police officer on the scene and I would surely have been arrested for DWI. As it was, I was sober and able to go get them and help them get their car back to the house.

Yeah, sobriety rocks!! :)

Anna 11-24-2015 06:13 PM

I think it's so good to reflect on things like that from time to time to help remind us how far we've come. :)

Calicofish 11-24-2015 06:17 PM

It is so freeing, isn't it. There's been many occasions in the past couple of months where later in the evening I'll be fancying something sweet. Maybe a piece of cake or pie and so I just jump into the car and go to the all night grocery store and buy it. No worries about drinking and driving.

In addition to getting to work (well an hour late), I was able to do the entire shift without feeling tired, hungover, grumpy, sick (all those crappy things that go hand-in-hand with drinking).

Hevyn 11-24-2015 06:18 PM

Amazing that we once thought it enhanced our lives. :(

CurlyGirl1978 11-24-2015 06:28 PM

That's great to hear Calicofish! Sobriety definitely has its rewards, and monetary rewards are best! $$$$$

jay01 11-24-2015 06:31 PM

Yes freedom and sobriety are truly linked. I was fortunate enough to have "mental handcuffs" so driving intoxicated was very rare for me. Simply going to the grocery store or even to answer a phone call years ago was out the question after 4 pm. Nearly 9 years ago my mother was in a serious car accident and I didn't get the message until early morning.

I've forgave myself but looking back it's a true living hell the life of drunkard.

Happy for you Calico

thomas11 11-24-2015 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Calicofish (Post 5659772)
It is so freeing, isn't it. There's been many occasions in the past couple of months where later in the evening I'll be fancying something sweet. Maybe a piece of cake or pie and so I just jump into the car and go to the all night grocery store and buy it. No worries about drinking and driving.

In addition to getting to work (well an hour late), I was able to do the entire shift without feeling tired, hungover, grumpy, sick (all those crappy things that go hand-in-hand with drinking).

Amen to that. Once that first drink was poured, the calendar had to be clear for the next 24 hrs. Now, get up and go.

ZeldaFan 11-24-2015 06:42 PM

I can definitely relate to this one. When I used to have days off, I would get plastered the night before knowing I had the next day to recover. Had I been called in, I would have been in very rough shape. Just another one of the many rewards of sobriety. Thanks for sharing and reminding us of just one of the countless reasons why we are all on this journey!

Venecia 11-24-2015 07:53 PM

As others have said, it really is freeing to be able to function well in sobriety. In the bad old days, we were so often turning to the bottle as a "solution" in search of a "crisis."

Soberwolf 11-25-2015 02:40 AM

Excellent posts CalicoFish