Notices

Eckhart Tolle ~ The divine purpose of the universe

Old 11-24-2015, 01:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Do your best

Lightbulb Eckhart Tolle ~ The divine purpose of the universe

Recently I was thinking about something & this made a lot of sense it's only 5 minutes check it out let me know what you think

https://youtu.be/KZzEUrPdX1I
Old 11-24-2015, 02:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Amazing talk and exquisite video SoberWolf. I checked out another of his YT talks How do we break the habit of excessive thinking?

I will be watching more of this gent over next days......Thanks for putting him on my radar
Old 11-25-2015, 03:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

No problemo Fly I think Eckhart Tolle is pretty amazing I've read 2 of his books that I enjoyed aswell 1. A new earth 2.The power of now

really good books there are places online you can get them at really great prices

I think this video is amazing il be posting this from time to time & its in my scrapbook
Old 11-25-2015, 03:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Thanks SW. I particularly liked the video. It's just so amazing on how incredible the world and life is. We are so blessed to be part of it.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Listening to Eckhart Tolle and others like him regularly helps to keep me balanced and grounded and feeling much more at peace in the world.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thx for the vid! Have you ever read Conversations with God? Walsch echoes the same theme (as do many others). While a minute shift from thinking that "God" is outside of us to "God" is inside of us, it is a profound one that has radical implications. By coming from the perspective that one is an expression OF the Divine, rather than trying to get TO the Divine (what most traditional religions teach), one realizes that there is no place to go...nothing to achieve...but rather everything to explore, and an opportunity to define ourselves in any given moment. Much like the Rumi quote: “You are not a drop in the ocean. You are the entire ocean in a drop.” or an image I like: different leaves, all sprouting from and nourished by the same massive tree trunk.

Applying this concept to recovery...you are not the recipient of your experience, but rather the author of it. Who do you want to BE? There is immense power in this view, as well as responsibility.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well they talk about The Divine Purpose of the Universe
and much talk about us and self.

I believe the universe was made for and by God to revel his glory ??

MB
Old 11-25-2015, 05:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The first thought I had watching the video was that it had a hint of psychedelia to it But probably I thought that way because I had a strong interest in that in the past. I see how others may associate it with their own choice of spiritual interest or belief, why he attracts so many people from all walks of life probably. But subjective feeling or not, I do think Tolle has that sort of quality to his thinking and expressions, looking for "universal truths" about his areas of interest, sharing what he finds, and clearly many people connect with it. I tend to like these kinds of people I think mostly because I feel a strong familiarity with seeker spirits of most kinds, it's about the looking for answers beyond appearances and the bigger picture. Not all of these individuals are calming but I find reading and listening to Tolle quite relaxing.

Are you familiar with Alan Wallace, SW? I've been a long-term follower of him, originally he was my meditation teacher many years ago. He is a weird mix of buddhist scholar, scientist, philosopher with education in a variety of fields such as physics, religious studies, neuroscience (especially consciousness). He wrote some pretty interesting books where he tries to come up with unified theories including (and fusing) elements of spirituality and science in pretty creative and unique ways. Teaches meditation worldwide. I had some of the best conversations with him in my life. He is pretty intense and his mind runs everywhere with crazy speed when he's discussing something that he knows well, especially conceptually, but is also an amazingly powerful and relaxing teacher (at least for me).
Old 11-25-2015, 05:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

I think this video is awesome & I hope you all enjoy
Old 11-25-2015, 06:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks, SW. I listened to a few of them, he's very relaxing.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks SW. I just bought his book 'the power of Now'. I look forward to reading and taking in any nuggets that will help me on this journey.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

The power of now was a good read
Old 11-25-2015, 10:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Tolle has been one of the most important figures in my recovery from alcoholism, and in learning to live life fully.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I read the power of now a few years back but didn't follow through with the concept . I am one of those people who find a new idea /concept/paradigm /system and say " this is it ive found the way , this is brilliant " only to find myself discarding them and moving on to something else . I loved Wayne Dyer ,Louise Hay . I went down the Law of attraction road for a while but could never work out why children have bad things happen so Jerry and Esther Hicks concepts were discarded .
I do believe we are what we think all day long to quote the late Wayne Dyer .
However I started noticing they all seem to copy each others material and change it slightly .
I believe in Meditation and that a calm mind is key .
Ive looked at many many different concepts but never really committed to any for any length of time . I do take great comfort from my church and the peace it offers but not necessarily the dogma involved .

I try to offer kindness and compassion as much as possible and find that my life works better when I do .

Great stuff
Old 11-25-2015, 11:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thanks guys
Old 11-25-2015, 12:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

We need to be careful for

They will worship the creation rather than the creator.

Mountainman
Old 11-25-2015, 12:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Not posted in a long long time and this is the first thing I see. Thank you
Old 11-25-2015, 12:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

When I,m having a hard time with panic/anxiety I listen to Dr Claire Weekes and I do commit to her fully .
Soberwolf i,m glad I saw your post on Echart Tolle tonight , you have inspired me to re-visit his teachings .

Thanks

PS , I use Kindle books these days as they are a fraction of the cost
Old 11-25-2015, 12:46 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thanks Thomas & Wibbly
Old 11-25-2015, 03:59 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks SW ... beautiful imagery and a thought-provoking talk.