Notices

Made through my first night alone

Old 11-24-2015, 05:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Made through my first night alone

First night home was tough. Lots of restlessness, anxiety, worry, etc...was tossing, turning and sweating around 2am and next thing I new I woke up having git a few good hours of sleep. Thank god! First full day home alone, I'm not worried about having a drink, the house is free of alcohol and I live in a very remote area. Fourty mile from the nearest store with no license now, will forcefully prevent temptation. Today is going to be very mentally hard day, another new day sober, the isolation and lonely ness will all be a challenge. Expect frequent post today and keep your words of encouragement handy, I will be here to collect them throughout the day thanks all!
Old 11-24-2015, 05:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How are you doing today sober wolf?
Old 11-24-2015, 05:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome got2stop;
I'm on Day 8 after a relapse and just getting back to feeling "normal" again.

Wishing you success on your quit--be really careful and don't be afraid to call
for help if needed as it can be risky to stop on your own.

I did the same thing my first time and had racing blood pressure, sweats, shakes,
and was pretty sick for days.

Lots of showers, clean sheets, and herbal tea helped with this some.
Please keep posting and don't hesitate to call someone for help if needed.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Got2

Withdrawals do cause the loneliest feeling in the world.
I have been thru them so many times this year....

Have you quit before? Do you know you can do it?
I have quit before for 8 YEARS. Then I started again....and drank for 2 years. Many withdrawal days this year.

I now have 3 weeks and WANTED so badly to drink yesterday..I came within a hair of drinking....and I am so glad I did not. Because when I woke up this morning...I feel good. Usually when I start...a BINGE starts...for days and nights on end...and I always end up in really rough shape.

3-4 days you will feel better than you do now. Doing it alone? NO...you have these pages....and actually..I had to be ALONE when recovering...so much suffering...I didn't want anyone watching it...I couldn't even get in the shower for 3 days or go out of the house.
Just focus on getting better vs. being alone.

If you focus on being alone...you could end up saying sc*w it...nobody cares...and drink. Depression and Anxiety hit badly in the first few days of withdrawal...fight those things...and stay sober if you can.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So far today. Woke up felling ok, took a hot shower felt even better!, made a little breakfast and coffee, checked in on here to soak in the encouragement logged off with a smile, sat quietly alone for a few moments processing the words of emcourment, then out of no where a wave of worry descended upon me accompanied with some "hot flashes" and a bit of panic breathless feeling. Just sitting trying to process that now. Just dumping my feeling out here to vent. No real direction yet for today,
Old 11-24-2015, 06:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Hi, yeah, those first days are tough. If you have thoughts of drinking or just need some support don't be shy posting.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Post as often as you like, someone is always here if you need a little extra support. The first few days will certainly be all over the map both physically and mentally, don't be afraid to reach out for help locally if you need it as well. You don't have do do this alone!
Old 11-24-2015, 06:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I went through many withdrawals over the past few years and it is so not fun, that is a place I never want to revisit. It will be over soon enough but make sure you have a plan together so you don't get sucked back in.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope tonight is better for you got2stopnow

D
Old 11-24-2015, 03:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

A little about today. Took some time getting going. Started making contacts with counselors, hope to have an appoitment soon. Didnt feel sad or happy today, more of a disturbing neutral. I started to tie some of my fishing flies for next spring. I think my fly tying is going to be a good outlet for this winter. On a more disturbing note, I was reminded today of the strange things I did while drinking, I was going through some old belongings and damn it there was a water bottle I hid a long time ago half full of scotch, I went to dump it out and as soon as the smell hit my nose, I stopped and thought long and hard about a sip, first exposureto temptation....I dumped it down the drain! Been pacing ever since, decide time to log in and post.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Got2stop - Proud of you for making it through last night. Also, for dumping the scotch (huge test). Once you're through this challenging time things will be better. Glad you're posting your thoughts - we're with you.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

hi got2stop ... well done for dumping it out! Keep putting one foot in front of the other ... it does get easier.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're doing great! The unexpected temptation didn't get you either, so good for you.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

You have to make each day a new challenge (or game if that works for you).

You can do it!!
Old 11-24-2015, 04:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have gone through many horrible withdrawals. It really is one of the most frightening and lonely experiences a human can go through. It's like a panic attack that lasts for 3 days and you don't even get to sleep. I think my record was 4 days without even a nap.

Just remember the anxiety is not real. It is yoyr brain adjusting itself to a proper balance of chemicals that the booze had messed up.

For me, I locked myself away and binge watched tv shows on DVD and stayed on SR. Benadryl can calm you and a gatorade to keep you hydrated. And just keep telling yourself that this too shall pass
Old 11-24-2015, 06:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you for the kind words everone! Feeling pretty good tonight, had some very supportive phone conversations with friends and family. Going to try to sleep at a more reasonable hour tonight, hopefully fall asleep before the silence catches up with me, if it does I know where to go, right here. Thanks again everyone!
Old 11-24-2015, 06:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I found some beers in the fridge a few weeks back and it was shocking. Had to dump them out before my AV took over. You did well getting rid of that bottle. It's amazing how jarring it can be running into the stuff without warning. I hope you are able to sleep well!
Old 11-24-2015, 07:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I agree with wastinglife. Physiologically our body and brains are adjusting to being without alcohol. For some reason it seems to manifest itself in panic, anxiety and for some depression. I too, had to constantly remind myself, its not real. It is caused by the alcohol. Even then, sometimes its hard to shake. I think you're doing great. Keep it going.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:51 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi got2stopnow. It wasn't too long ago that I withdrew from alcohol. Ugh.
But, much to my surprise, I felt better sooner than I thought I would. Just keep thinking, every minute is one minute closer to feeling better. Be well.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:58 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Exercise got me through the early days of sobriety - give it a shot!