Notices

scared to go to a meeting tonight

Old 11-23-2015, 07:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

scared to go to a meeting tonight

Hi,

Just wanted to say I want to go to a meeting tonight. I want to quit drinking, have been to meetings before over the last 10 years, but now I feel weird going back...like I'll be judges.

Just scared..

Jamie
Old 11-23-2015, 08:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I think you should do whatever it takes for you to get and stay sober. I don't go to AA meetings, but I'm sure the people would be welcoming to you.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Jamie

Try to take some deep breaths, sometimes we make things up in our heads which are not real. I used to go to AA and I can tell you that I am pretty sure that most people will be glad to see you back and those who judge, well that's their problem.
Are you still in contact with someone from AA (or another local friend in recovery)? If yes, maybe you could ask that person to accompany you.
I know that if someone called me, I would be more than happy to accompany them to a meeting (not just an AA meeting, any kind of recovery meeting).

One thing I learned a long time ago in recovery is that what other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't think you have anything to worry about. I see people come and go at AA meetings all the time so it's not unusual for people to disappear and than show up again. They might think you were out of town, or were going to a different meeting for a while. I don't think anybody will assume that you were gone for a while because you were drinking. Besides, even if they do, most people know this happens and will be just happy to see you back. Enjoy the meeting!! John
Old 11-23-2015, 08:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

The things that are hardest to do are usually the things we should do.

Go to the meeting, let your addiction squirm.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Fear is normal once we identify it we need to face it and walk through it what are you willing to do to stop drinking the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking you will be welcomed you are the most important person at a meeting and I agree if another alcoholic wants to judge you so what there's a lot of nice meetings just like we searched out the best drugs the strongest alcohol research out the best meetings there are a lot of big book step study meetings in Boston where people talk about the solution carry the message not the mess if you're familiar with the Internet you could find a meeting or simply call Alcoholics Anonymous answering service or hotline there's no better place to be then amongst people just like you the coffee pot a butt can and a handshake no matter what city what state you go to we are all alike all an alcoholic has to do is be willing honest an open minded what would you do if the tables were turned and you wanted to drink or use you'd walk right into that bar in a bad neighborhood you'd call the drug dealer what do you willing to do to get well the hard parts over you don't ever have to feel the way your feeling again you don't ever have to sober up you realize that you're afraid now all you have to do is face your fear and everything will be ok
Old 11-23-2015, 10:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i was court ordered at one time. about a month after getting off probation i was given the gift of desperation. completely afraid to walk into a meeting, i got courage and did it.
the man chairing the meeting-i remembered seeing him at meetings- smiled at me and said,welcome. im glad ya made it back."
Old 11-23-2015, 10:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jamie67 View Post
Hi,

Just wanted to say I want to go to a meeting tonight. I want to quit drinking, have been to meetings before over the last 10 years, but now I feel weird going back...like I'll be judges.

Just scared..

Jamie
It's OK and normal to feel that way.

Go to the meeting.

You'll be glad you did.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
1)i was court ordered at one time...

2) the man chairing the meeting-i remembered seeing him at meetings- smiled at me and said,welcome. im glad ya made it back."
1) I, too, was court ordered, after being on probation (and sober!) for over 6 months.

2) I got sober here in Houston, and after a couple of weeks, I had to go back to my hometown (San Francisco) to take care of my mother who, as a pedestrian, had been hit by a car.

At many of the meetings, there, I ran into 'old drinking buddies.' The usual response, and one proffered by a chairperson was, "Glad you found your way here."

Lots of friendly folk at meetings...........

(o:
Old 11-23-2015, 01:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

How did it go Jamie?

D
Old 11-24-2015, 05:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice to meet you Jamie hope it went well