Notices

Seems like everyone drinks

Old 11-23-2015, 06:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Seems like everyone drinks

This weekend I went to help my friend pack his apartment up as he was moving. There were a bunch of people coming in and out to help him, and everyone was drinking wine or beer (besides me). My buddy was drinking the whole time as well. In fact he would open a beer, drink some for a bit, another friend would come by, and when he got his friend a beer he would forget that he hadn't finished his original beer and get another one. I was mildly annoyed by all the drinking. I felt a little awkward that I wasn't but what annoyed me most was that it seems like alcohol is the drink of choice for most adults in social environments,

Yesterday, i drove my friend to the mall to pick up some electronics. As a thank you for driving him, he offered to buy me some drinks at the local bar. I declined. I wouldn't say my friends were alcoholics as I was, but it does seem as if alcohol plays a major part in their social lives.

I don't like it.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

It doesn't seem so surprising. These are people you used to hang out with when you were drinking. You probably hung out with them because they were drinking.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I find it hard, too, Jtf7. Being sober sometimes feels like a breed apart. I just like myself sober and work to be nonjudgmental because it feels more peaceful for me that way.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It does seem that way. Especially in western society. Especially this time of year....

But it's not true.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think we, as alcoholics, notice it a lot more than others. I don't think a casual drinker would have taken note when some buddies are helping someone move as to who was not finishing their drink and getting another one any more than I was noticing yesterday at a big family meal who was finishing all of their dessert before getting another helping of something.
We notice what others do it and follow it a lot more than casual drinkers- I have found especially when we are not drinking.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yes, it's a common feeling early on in sobriety. But the reality is that most people either drink very little or not at all. Our addiction would love us to think that of course, and as others have mentioned we tend to hang out with people who drink so our view is certainly skewed. The longer I go about my life being sober, I notice lots of people that don't drink too. Even at places that you'd traditionally think that they all do ( weddings, family gatherings, etc ).

It is certainly true that there are plenty of people who DO drink though. Early on it's probably best to steer clear of them if the temptation is too strong.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

And I try not to be aggravated by those who are drinking. I remember a couple of months ago, I would have been leading the charge on the drinking and because I am in a different place than that now, I actually look to those who are doing what I was doing with a level of pity for them and gratitude for myself that I'm not still doing that.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

All my friends drank so yeah it seemed like everyone drank...I've met a lot of non drinkers and some very occasional, half glass left, type drinkers since then

D
Old 11-23-2015, 02:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah i have been thinking the same thing!!! Id planned to go for afriends bday meal & drinks in a few wks, but now they're on about just going out & drinking!!! Dont get me wrong, they'd b drinking with the meal & i assumed a few drinks after but not a 7pm start & a midnight finish, FULL of booze!!!! So ive politely said if its just drinks ill only come for an hr! (Im sure they think im being dull)!!! I dont really care tho!!!😄😄
Old 11-23-2015, 04:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Lots of people drink but not everyone has an addictive mind. Don't get all bent out of shape because other people are boozing, not your place. Feel smug because YOU didn't succumb but remember humility and maybe there is one of those people you talk about who would really like to not be drinking but doesn't know where to start and needs a friend.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support guys. It feels awesome not drinking. I actually binge on sparkling water at home. I just love that bubbly taste. For me, it's a legitimate substitute for beer. Waking up not being hung over is amazing and a relief.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

What FO, Scott & Dee74 said
Old 11-24-2015, 05:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

i had the same thoughts early in recovery. although i stopped being around wet faces and wet places, it seemed every tv show and movie i watched had alcohol consumption, everyone at the grocery store had alcohol in their cart, and i would hear lots of people talking about going to the bar.
as time went on my eyes saw differently. maybe it was my mind clearing up and i was seeing things more rationally. idk, but i noticed it was really only a very small percentage of people that had alcohol in their carts,not as many movies and tv shows with alcohol, and i very rarely heard people talking about going to the bar.