Notices

Day One.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day One.

Hello all. I recently drank, the night before last. The next morning, after a few hours of sleep I woke up drunk. Went to work and felt like I was nodding out, going to seizure out or pass out. I was five months sober off of drugs and recently have done them again three times, including that night. Just really trying to go day by day without having a drink. I don't drink daily but I consider myself a alcholic because when I drink I can't stop. I use to drink all the time but have slowed down. I still don't think it matters because I'm drinking just as much. My real question is what is your success story? How do you get passed the depression, anxiety, feeling like your dying and scared out of your mind for yourself and family? Thank you for taking time out of your day to give me advice.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Duff-
I'm sorry you're not feeling well. I'm new (only 14days sober) so I really don't have very much advice. I know having a plan is key. Search the website and post and look for help. There is so much available here! Somebody with experience will pop on soon and send you in the right direction!
Best wishes
Old 11-22-2015, 07:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome Duff!

I would recommend finding a number for AA and giving them a call. Almost every town has meetings, and sometimes it can be arranged for a person to meet you and accompany you into your first meeting.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi DuffandPuff,

Welcome to SR...an inspiring place, full of wonderful people!

I am now over 6 years sober and I doubt there is a "one plan fits all", but maybe others will join in on what's common to them all. I'll give it a go, based on my experience. I think each of us must come to a place where drinking negatively affects our lives. Ask yourself what parts of yourself are you compromising / sacrificing in order to drink? Your family? Your job? Your health? Are you at a place where you are TRULY willing to commit to a life of sobriety? Are you TRULY willing to do whatever it takes?

There is real truth to the concept of "bottoming out". Only then, I think, when we have no more to lose, are we willing to start. Quitting drinking is a beginning...but in order to stay sober, we need to also commit to changing much more.

It is well worth it. I was miserable and nearly suicidal. Today, I am blessed beyond belief and that time in my life almost seems unreal. But that's why I come here...to KEEP it real and to give hope to others that it can be done.

Take a peek at Tufty's thread. It is very inspiring and motivational!! And read, read, read here. If you reach out, people will respond. We are all in this together!
Old 11-22-2015, 09:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
The hoop you have to jump through is a lot wider than you think!

For me I had to ride the wave. Coping with depression and anxiety can be interesting. I came to certain conclusions that through meditation and a little initial private soul-searching helped. I'd say take time every day to be nice to yourself we have anxiety and depression we do nothing to beat ourselves up. The mistake I made is that I've gone back-and-forth in front of people and that weirds them out. Everybody suffers a little anxiety and a little depression they just don't talk about it. I'm not saying keep anything to yourself because reaching out to somebody who understands just like you're doing is the healthiest way to get advice from others that have been through this. My point is is that you're not alone but once you understand and I'm not talking about a bunch of stupid self help books LOL but once you understand your I have your anxiety and your depression then it gets a lot easier we are all wired differently. On your journey I highly recommend writing down things that come to you as a solution or reality. Anything negative well that's not necessarily you talking it's your baggage when we drank people judges in those things run deep in your brain. In my opinion alcoholism has a little genetics in there at least in my family but sociology has a lot to do with it to The way you've been treated is depressing and causes anxiety but that doesn't mean you have to treat yourself that way
Old 11-22-2015, 11:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DuffNPuff View Post
Hello all. I recently drank, the night before last. The next morning, after a few hours of sleep I woke up drunk. Went to work and felt like I was nodding out, going to seizure out or pass out. I was five months sober off of drugs and recently have done them again three times, including that night. Just really trying to go day by day without having a drink. I don't drink daily but I consider myself a alcholic because when I drink I can't stop. I use to drink all the time but have slowed down. I still don't think it matters because I'm drinking just as much. My real question is what is your success story? How do you get passed the depression, anxiety, feeling like your dying and scared out of your mind for yourself and family? Thank you for taking time out of your day to give me advice.
Hi Duff, why don't you join us in the November 2015 class? Loads of support there!!! Hope to see you! :-)
Old 11-22-2015, 11:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you feeling now Duff?

D
Old 11-23-2015, 12:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Duff,

When I got a bit more clarity, I recognised and understood that those feelings will pass. The depression and anxiety was my body adjusting. It wasn't a permanent state. I also knew I would feel better the next day.

I just remember how awful I felt and I go to meetings to reinforce that. Yes, it was that bad. Nothing will be different this time.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Duff you still out there? Good thoughts going out to you!
Old 11-23-2015, 12:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Duff!!
Old 11-24-2015, 05:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have you got a plan Duff

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html