Notices

I'm back after a couple months, trying again

Old 11-22-2015, 01:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy I'm back after a couple months, trying again

So I was here all summer and doing so well, I had 3-4 months sober and stopped even wanting alcohol for a bit..

Well after returning to uni I kept sobriety up for another month then one drinking night turned into every night I could afford to drink..

I hate that I'm so hooked this young, does anyone know of any services specifically for young adults?

I know it sounds stupid but the first few nights were fine it's just I couldn't stop after that. One moment I was enjoying a couple of drinks and could say no at any time and the next I was desperately needing more each night to feel okay. I think it only took a week to go from weak alcohol to straight spirit.

I just kind of wanted to be normal. I gave up before because I knew I wasn't and couldn't control my drinking but I desperately wanted to be like my housemates and just relax and enjoy a couple of drinks.

I'm so disappointed in myself that now all my housemates know I have a drinking problem. I'm the house joke.

I'm just so ashamed.

The drinking problem is my way of coping with suicidal feelings. Trust me I know it only makes things worse, I just in the moment am desperate to not care.

Thank you for taking the time to read, I feel like I really needed to talk here. Last time it kept me sober.. For the past month I've woken up everyday saying that's it I'm stopping again but by the evening I've already bought a bottle.
I just felt like I needed to say somewhere that I'm stopping again so it's more than just me who knows?
I just haven't felt like I have any incentive to quit and talking about it here might help me stop x

Cheers x
Old 11-22-2015, 01:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey! Great to see you back here. I have read the big book several times and it talks exactly about the feeling of wanting to be like everybody else and drink like normal people. I would highly, highly recommend reading it right away. It's all available online. It really nailed every thought and experience I've ever had with drinking. It really helped me except the fact that I just do not and will not ever drink like regular people.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your 24hrs can start at any time, don't beat yourself up.. Get to a meeting and share share share,,,, good luck my friend,,
Old 11-22-2015, 02:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Nuttie

are you seeing anyone about those suicidal feelings?

D
Old 11-22-2015, 03:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hate that I'm so hooked this young, does anyone know of any services specifically for young adults?
I don't have a lot of local knowledge but these links might be a start:

https://www.alcoholconcern.org.uk/he...ces-directory/

Get Help | IF YOU?RE LOOKING FOR ADVICE, THIS IS A GOOD PLACE TO START. | FRANK

A Message for Young People | Newcomers | About AA | Alcoholics Anonymous (Great Britain) Ltd

D
Old 11-22-2015, 04:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

AA is for people of all ages - I know that in Cambridge there is a specific Young Persons group, but the people that go to that meeting also go to lots of others that aren't just for younger people - we all learn from each other, looking for the similarities, not the differences. If you're London based then there are lots of meeting to choose from. It's worth having a look through to see which are logistically possible, and if any of those are young people's groups.

If you're at University, could you speak to your student counsellor? They would have information about other local resources.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Hey Nuttie, probably all of us at one time or another wish we could just drink like normal people. It's very hard in our society to not have alcohol pushed in our face all the time and find a way to socialize without drinking. I'm back too after a good period of sobriety and started the same as you, it was easy to control at first but soon became the obsession that controlled me.

I'm much older than you but really feel for you being in Uni. I hope that your housemates will be supportive of you and not make it some sort of joke.

We're here for you and hope things get better.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This sounds like what happened to me this summer with a major relapse. I'm back at it and am over two months sober- again.

The best I can say is to learn from your last recovery attempt and get sober. Things will get better.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome back Nuttie!!
Old 11-24-2015, 05:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Nuttie good to see you again really is

Has your university got a counsellor you could confide in ? or have you spoken to a Dr about depression & suicidal feelings when I was younger in my 20's I had similar stuff going on

Can you book a Dr apt today ?
Old 11-24-2015, 06:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Nutty -

Please don't feel ashamed. It's likely that some of your college friends will develop alcoholism at some point - you are fortunate in that you are doing something about it early and will reap the benefits.

How are you feeling today?
Old 11-24-2015, 06:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

None of this sounds stupid.

None of this sounds surprising.

None of this sounds unusual....... I've been through it all.

Let me tell you something about shame; it is your enemy and it will eat you up and perpetuate the cycle. You have nothing to be ashamed of, you're not alone, this exact same thing has happened to millions of people. It will happen to millions more. It is happening to people all around you right now - right there at uni - who have yet to acknowledge it even to themselves.

YOU are blessed. You're blessed with the awareness, the opportunity to do something about it, the chance to change and live a life from a young age that is infinitely deeper and more abundant than you would otherwise experience. Choose sobriety, and you will be choosing a beautiful, rewarding, present path.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Nuttie, where in the UK do u live. Im in the South & in my town there is a specific group for young adults, but id imagine there'd b all ages going to AA meetings too. If u email AA they can put u in contact with someone who runs ur local meetings then u can ask them questions & consider going to 1
Old 11-24-2015, 07:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you are having suicidal feelings, you really need to take action today to help yourself. Go to your dr or to an ER and get the help you need.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SereneEdition View Post
Hi Nutty -

Please don't feel ashamed. It's likely that some of your college friends will develop alcoholism at some point - you are fortunate in that you are doing something about it early and will reap the benefits.

How are you feeling today?
Saying his housemates will develop alcoholism at some point is ridiculous. What basis do you have for making a comment like that? What an absurd thing to say.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Check in Nuttie