Notices

Thanksgiving Holiday Edition Weekender

Old 11-19-2015, 10:40 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Awesome thread, everyone- very glad to be here.

Gathering momentum.....

I'm planning on kicking some sober arse this holiday season! No hangovers, no excuses, no regrets!! Extra duty on the serenity prayer, however; still need strength to be around the over-imbibing relatives at the get-togethers this time of year. Just like the Elf on a Shelf, they're gonna turn up!!
Old 11-19-2015, 11:06 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

What a view, BigS! I love it.

Mecanix, great post

I read through everyone's posts but don't have time comment. I'm having a quick lunch, and then I'm off to see the new oral surgeon for the first time. Somewhat nervous and don't really know what to expect. My orthodontist says it's probably time to schedule a surgery date, so I'm getting a little nervous (and excited). Hard to believe it was over two years ago when I got the braces and was all gung ho about this surgery. Things are starting' to "get real" now, lol! And I'm feeling some pressure. I am still confident in my decision and ready to get on with it.

I've talked to a work buddy today and found out he installs flooring. He offered to install our wood floors for us, and I have a sneaking suspicion my husband is going to put up a fight to "do it himself" and "save money," but this is not really something I think he should be doing himself. I will let him rip out our old flooring, but I'm going to have to put my foot down and make him get a helper to install the new stuff. Can't take any chances on him "learning" as he goes.

Saw my old therapist today. She recognized me but we both played it off, lol.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:13 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

count me in have Wisconsin Cheese really great Triscuit Cranberry and Sage biscuts and turkey from the grill in a basket. roll that bus and I will have enough for 500 miles... crossing my fingers that we go to my Daughters for Thanksgiving..... if not plan B and I do that real good.. if you have Face book check me out on thrusday next week for photos.. Please God let this Old Lady go to Melly's for her home and cooking just once. please .. just ardy.. beep beep...
Old 11-19-2015, 11:34 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

SoberP - I know of people who thought they would save money by doing it themselves and ended up spending more in the long run... putting down a laminate floor is simple, putting down a real hardwood floor can be tricky and costly - definitely not a 'learn as you go' project. Even with the laminated hardwood planks. Having a 1/8 inch gap where there should not be one will be the only thing you'll see every day forever... not to mention orientation etc.

almost forgot - did I ever mention how much I hate ticketmaster - and venues that use them?
And again I need to vent at the wife for another one of her, let's do this on short notice ideas... cirque du soleil - I wanna go... it's two weeks away and tickets have been on sale for - a while... what's left are the 120 dollar seats and if you purchase online or by phone there is a 23.50 "convenience" charge. $23.50?
That's pretty ******* convenient if I do say so myself.
My plan for tomorrow. Be at box office when it opens tomorrow for Jimi Hendrix Experience tix - front row or loge only - for show in March in Reading, then drive to allentown to get cirque tickets at the box office - the cheaper seats - and save the 20 or so dollar service-*******-charge. $120 + $23.50 = not going for this cowboy.

serenity now, serenity now, serenity now...
Old 11-19-2015, 11:38 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
SoberP - I know of people who thought they would save money by doing it themselves and ended up spending more in the long run... putting down a laminate floor is simple, putting down a real hardwood floor can be tricky and costly - definitely not a 'learn as you go' project. Even with the laminated hardwood planks. Having a 1/8 inch gap where there should not be one will be the only thing you'll see every day forever... not to mention orientation etc.
Yeah, and not to mention he doesn't own all those different tools and saws needed for the job. Well, he might have a few, but probably not all of them. It will be a mess if he does it himself.

How am I going to convince him without offending him and pissing him off? This is one of those projects that will likely end up in arguments and fights.

This is a perfect example of how his personality is so different from mine. I'm an INTJ and when I know I don't know something, I won't hesitate to admit it and seek the best help I can find elsewhere. He is not this way, lol. He seems to get offended when I suggest he might need a helper. Come on, does it always have to be about an ego?? He needs to get over himself. I mean, I have a huge ego but it is limited to my areas of expertise. I don't need to be a jack-of-all-trades, and I am fine with that.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:38 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
I'm working on being a grateful alcoholic. And I'm here to say keep plugging away!!

I posted last week that I'd had blood drawn because I'm being monitored for elevated blood glucose and high cholesterol. I was in pre diabetic range for years before I quit drinking. It continued after I quit in December 2013. So... I just got the results. My labs are markedly better. Both blood sugar and cholesterol were down, down down. Doctor says keep doing what I'm doing. For two years I've been hoping they'd get better because I quit drinking. Finally!!!!! Yay!!!!
Ruby!! AWESOME!!
Old 11-19-2015, 11:43 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

That is commendable, Ruby Well done!
Old 11-19-2015, 11:58 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Oh soberP I'm smiling reading your posts. Me and my dad are DIY'ers and it's inevitable things will be bass akwards in the end. It seems our motto is "if it ain't wrong it ain't right". I love that you're gonna "let" him take out the old floor. How kind of you. And yes, it does always have to be about ego. I think my dad has literally spent more on hospital bills after almost cutting fingers off than he's saved "doing it himself". He's lucky he still has hands. I think your foot's gonna have to come down, and come down hard. With a pro at least in theory if there's a goof they'll fix it instead of having to look at it everyday. Good luck with the teeth and the floors!
Old 11-19-2015, 12:07 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Good job, Ruby! It's nice to see positive results.
I'm on day one of vacation and I'm exhausted. I woke up at 5AM this morning. ..bah! Then some errands and I'm back in bed. I'm going out tonight so I need to get some rest. I feel agitated and anxious for some weird reason. It's hard to unwind. ..I feel I should be cleaning the house or something. Gonna watch some tv.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:09 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Hi Guys... well I went to you tube for how to repair your roof from the inside.. got DI flak from my hubby.. pointed out this old Marine wil keep trying no matter how much he wants to fail.. he is such a putz.. sometimes I really dislike my Mom and Pop in law... Ed has left everything on the floor to have you fall over on the 3rd floor. and put big sheets of plastic over the junk.. the Army Mom in me . wants to send him to the movies and clean house.. I figure with my whistle ... 3 hours tops to move the junk to a second room on the 3rd floor.. 1 hour to tarp the common room down and 1 hour to wrap the beams and tar them up with the stuff they say to use.. ... its the wall and ceiling in by the servants stair well that has me very concerned.. tha was soaked. if it freezes before it dries out .. the support beam and wall is going to cave.. I watched my Grand Fathers and their brothers a lot.. GrandDad otto dug the hole for the house and laid foundation and built it with the help of family.. yep 1949 lot in Eau Claire cost him 2,000 and the house went up for 15,000.. attic 2nd floor for 3 girls and 1 son and 1st floor big bedroom and walk in closet huge living room dinning room for 25 really great kitchen and my grandma's french pink and black bath... I can still smell the soap ... as i write this.. and a full basement.. we could roller skate in it... love that house. and yard and huge garden... enough... we will secure that 3rd floor before Christmas and that with a Whistle will happen... Ten Hut... forward make it soo.. hahahahhaha
so I feel better have been listening to at war with the army.. Jerry lewis..
Old 11-19-2015, 12:18 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to the weekender bus Ardy. Those biscuits sound good

Sober guy threatened a drunk guy on the train tonight. Didn't know what it was about so i might be being unreasonable but the sober guy was being a total co*k and making thing worse "I'm gonna knock you pal!" Fortunately it got too crowded for anything else to happen. I suppose the party season has begun.

Curious how I have to fight down the urge to get all high and mighty now when I see someone the worse for drink. Think I was the same condemnatory hypocrite when quit smoking. One of the unsung plus points of sobriety I feel
Old 11-19-2015, 12:37 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Day 16 of Gratitude Challenge:

Today I am thankful for all of the baby steps I have had to take at one point or another due to life and its every changing landscape, leading me to where I am today.

The last few months have been rough. I finished work, and I have had to face the very real question of where I am headed, especially when I see my friends and family taking off on new adventures, while I haven’t moved an inch. I have dreamed my whole life of exploring the world, exuding the kind of confidence most women can only dream of and being that person with the adventurous life that everyone wishes to have. I felt like a failure….miserable, discouraged, demotivated and pretty much ready to give up and be content with my own misery.

When you feel this discouraged and dissatisfied with your life, it becomes almost impossible to find something to be grateful for. For weeks I have struggled to see light, to find something to smile about. It was only when I painstakingly took the time to be brutally honest with myself, own up to my misery and decide to make a change (even though it scares me half to death), I started seeing a way forward again.

It starts with one small step; making one decision and sticking to it, showing up no matter how little you feel like it or how exhausted you are (just maybe something profound happens and you bear witness to it or share in it). Being honest and owning up to your decisions in front of friends and family, perhaps ending that relationship that has been pulling you down into the depths of despair. Just one such action can open up a new path, a new beginning, a new adventure. For me it was making one decision for my own future, just ONE.
It was then that I realised that every small step allows you to reach your big goals. It is as simple as working a little harder today on that project, updating my C.V., without the little steps, those big goals would be unattainable.

There were spans of time when I wasn't sure I would be able to continue on. Times when I had all I could do to get up and face the day. Baby steps led me to full steps and full steps to my stride. We will find our stride, as long as we keep moving forward. I am grateful they got me to this very moment in time.

Today I am grateful for each small step I take every day.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:51 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Tetra, I like that one... grateful for the small steps. We don't have to leap forward all of the time. The small steps will get us there and get us there while building a solid foundation on our journey.

Congrats on your lab results Ruby!

Happy pre-weekend everybody.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:20 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Sitting in the chair waiting on the doc. Ugh. I hate waiting. I always have butterflies in my stomach.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:31 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Do your best

Your doing great Tetra

Wish you all the luck fixing the roof if it too difficult ring a roofer pronto Ardy have you got any friends with any experience ?

Fights on the tube in London between sober & intoxicated ppl I'm glad it fizzled out but the sober guy sounded like a mug Sao seems Christmas has begun huh ?

Goodnight gang
Old 11-19-2015, 01:44 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Ruby- that's great news!

Tetra; thanks for the beautiful post.

I like it, Brain- a crusade against the ticketmaster 'convenience fee'!!!
Old 11-19-2015, 01:52 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Baby steps is where it's at!

Hope the appt goes well, potamus!

Finally eating lunch. Spinach tortilla with lettuce, sprouts, peppers, tomatoes and shredded carrot yum!
Old 11-19-2015, 01:54 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
...holds the key

HAf, hope you can start relaxing and unwinding soon. It's hard to get into the swing of having time off!
Old 11-19-2015, 02:05 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

I hate ticketmaster fees too Brain. Ridiculous. Good luck getting tickets on your drive.

I mistakenly posted that I was behind Weasel in the number of posts. I'm actually ahead of Weasel. SW and Brain are ahead of me.

I celebrated my good test results with a candy bar and pot roast. I'm a work in progress towards healthy eating.

Sao, glad things didn't erupt on the tube. Pretty crowded venue for a fight.

Almost time to leave work for the day. HaF, I totally get why you're antsy. I get the same way when I'm off during times that I'm usually at work. I have a hard time allowing myself to relax and just sit there watching TV or reading. I always have to be doing something. Maybe practice just sitting still while you're off? I'm going to work on that myself when I'm off next week.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:06 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

By the way, Behan hasn't posted yet. Maybe he's daddy Behan by now? Anyone heard?